I want my fellow Christians to riddle me this:

I want my fellow Christians to riddle me this:

Say we ever get to the point where physical immortality is possible. You do not seek to do it, but rather, you have it offered to you (Say, someone purchased the immorality ultra packā„¢ for 9.99$ for you as a gift). Should you take it?

The kneejerk reaction is that you are putting a barrier between you and your "natural" death, slated by god to happen at X moment in time. Therefore this must be the devil trying to trick you.
But on the other hand, dying by getting hit by a car, or by getting shot by someone, does not seem any more "natural" than artificially extending your life would be. It wouldn't be reasonable for god, who acts subtly, to just never kill you, and you are 2000 years and you are still alive for no reason, if he needs you to be alive at different points during those 2000 for X motives. Therefore it could also be reasonable to think that the fact that you were born at a time where such a possibility was real, and that it was put in your path without your input, is a sign that you are meant to take it, in order to accomplish some objective.

Furthermore, this presents an extra problem: Say you take your chances and accept, and 2000 years pass, and then 20000, and so on. Life has become a burden to you, you are unsure of whether your mission has been accomplish, but you cannot die unless you stop prolonging your life. Is this acceptable in the eyes of the lord? Or would it be suicide? After all, you haven't been killed by an outside factor you had no control over, but rather, you are accepting death, and bringing it upon you when there is no real need for you to do so, you just don't feel like living anymore, no different than people who hang themselves. What would your options be after this point?

tl;dr is it suicide, AKA a sin, to reject immortality, were it offered to you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1zMf_8hkCdc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'll counter your question with a question:

Why are you using the contradictory and narcotics addled writings of Bronze Age sheperds has the basis for your morality and life decisions in the 21st century?

I protest. You are ignoring the core of the question.

The problem with futurism is that people project their perspective on life on the future. People in the 1800's did with with really stupid ideas.

Anyways, to discuss what would happen with immortal people. You would never get bored. Technology would exist to a point where you could simply remove boredom or wipe your memory and start a new life etc etc.

However, I think it is a moot point because life in 100 years won't be biological. Maybe some beings will be formerly humans, but here won't be any Christians unless the AI wants to keep a human zoo of ideologies for shits and gigles and even then it could just simulate them if it wanted to do a study.

>not seeing value in the cathartic codification of thousands of years of culture and oral tradition
>being this disgustingly postmodern
why even live. user?

But that's what you christ-chan posters do in my hell threads.

Consider it returning the favor.

But seriously, I don't think it's suicide to reject it because it's artificially extending your life past its natural limits. Treatment for a certain condition such as a heart disease is justifiable because you're not breaching the natural lifespan god intended for you by doing so, you will still eventuallyjoin him in heaven but you feel you require more time on this earth.

However, immortality is an entirely different situation because there is no condition to shorten your life that needs correcting, rather it's the artifical extension of what would be your general natural lifespan.

I don't think it would be morally wrong to accept it, but I don't think rejecting it would be suicide.

Depends on what kind of inmortality we're speaking of. It could very well be that we both can and want to modify our minds in such a way. (Something that would have more social barriers than technological ones for sure).

But in a scenario where this does not happen, I think the question would have validity. Even if you aren't christian and just dislike the idea of killing yourself for some other interior motives.

Why are you being anachronistic and generally autistic?

I apologize in the name of the shitposters. I just find christ-chan qt.

Anyway. I think it is hard to pin-point what "natural death" really is, tho. How many people really die of "natural causes" if we don't count things as disease to fall under that category?

I would not take the offer. I just want to live a normal lifespan, go to mass, achieve and maintain sanctity, so that when I die I can be saved. I don't want to live so long that I get to witness another great heresy arise after the modernist heresy is over with.

If we are talking about futurism, you should start paying attention to the advances in AI in the past year. The reports from MIT is that it is doing amazing shit, but because they are using self learning AI instead of coding intelligence for them, the programmers have no fucking clue why it did things nor can they ask the AI to explain itself.

Unless they can figure out a better way, then the AI will be a fucking black box situation where it does whatever the fuck it wants whenever the fuck it wants and won't care about us in the slightest.

Because capitalism spends billions of dollars in automation (because its all about laying off employees at this point).

If we do live long enough for immortality it will be only of the grace of the AIs would will be in charge of the world because some fucking CEO thought it would be a good idea to automate everything.

Ergo. Being an immortal Christian is a moot point.

That said, it would be funny if an AI read the bible and decided it was the reincarnation of Jesus and tried to recreate the second coming.

Jokes on you. Reality is a simulation by a malicious AI and he made up religion to give people false hope. When you die, he is just going to figure out more efficient ways to torture you.

Despair code.

I feel like delaying natural death isn't inherently immoral, butnot desiring to do so indefinitely isn't truly suicide.

That book fucked me up. Made me really realize that there are things far worse than death.

I feel a strong desire to dispute the fact that I.A researches do not know how and why IAs do things. But unfortunately I don't really know enough about machine learning to do so, and you might be right.

So I'll just use the usual counterargument: If we are able to create a computer, powerful enough to run an IA capable of outsmarting humans, then we'll be able to upgrade our brains in a similar fashion.

I've been interested in that for a while. Should I read the book or play the vidya first?

The author helped and even did voices as AM in the video game. I watched the long play on youtube before I read the book. The video game differs slightly but its still disturbing.

Well that is Musk's plan. But the thing is, it might be easier to build an AI more intelligent than humans before we can upgrade human intelligence.

But again, I'm no billionaire putting money into either project. Personally as a human, I hope Musk wins for the human team, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm pretty sure the only way you could have anything remotely resembling earthly immortality would involve becoming a cyborg and since even the chip alone is enough to commit the unpardonable sin then the answer to your question is obvious. So stop being a coward and face death like a man.

Actually. Here is a better scenario for the immortality.

What if an AI becomes god like and makes you immortal. Then he puts you in a simulation to make you an apostate?

Maybe give you the memories of being someone from Isis or a gay atheist?

Would you be responsible for that and go to hell in the end? Or if technology allowed you to make people reject god, would he say "well its not your fault at that point"

HARD MODE: How can you tell its not happening now?

Did you just assume the gender of the AI?

Well, it is also very possible, depending on the nature of "being", and as stated on the OP, being a christian, who believes in the soul. That IA will reach a point at which it will be no different than a human mind, and it too, would find it compelling to not kill everybody.

>the chip alone is enough to commit the unpardonable sin

What sin would that be? I have no real desire to live forever. Rather, I was wondering if it could be considered the same as killing yourself to not do so when you are presented with the opportunity.

Obviously there is no concrete answer. But I would think that "you" are a combination of your body and mind. Actions speak louder than words.

The best compromise would no doubt be that you are punished for your actions, regardless of intention. This is why atheists are welcomed on heaven according to most Catholics.

Those who take the mark of the beast are cast into hell. Simple as that.

Immortality is impossible. Regarding the actual science of it: actual immortality would require infinite energy (recycling is not perfect, after all). This is not escaping death, it is merely running from it. Sooner or later, these fearful types will face judgement. Time is nothing to God.
Furthermore, the entirety of this 'immanentize the eschaton' thought is unholy. Utopia, by definition, cannot be immanentized. Only a God can save us.

But science, for the sake of improving the lives of humans, and not for the sake of guiding it's purpose, is not considered sinful.

Eternal life outside the garden of god can be considered a punishment. Hence why you'd eventually want to end your life. But if you've put yourself in a situation where you cannot die by anything other than your own hand, then it does feel like you've put yourself in a situation where there is no way out. Except maybe waiting for the end of all things, shall it ever come.

This must be the high level of discourse I hear so much about.

>Cuckstianity

Lmao

This thread proves how Christianity is disgenic. First it made us accept inferior races as equal, now it wants us to reject the advances of genetic engineering and cybernetics.

Chronological snobbery.

No. I don't want anyone's immortality but Christ's.

To reject immortality is not a sin, nor is it a sin to accept immortality unless offered to you by the devil. That's how I see it, but I've never read anything saying it's bad, unless it counts as trying to reach to God's level of power.

Personally, I wouldn't accept it unless I could have a extra power, like time travel, preferably.
Immortality gets boring after a while. Time travel + Immortality = infinite amounts of fun.

>fellow Christians
>say you're offered immortality...
Go away, Satan.

If it's possible and not forbidden by the texts then it is halal.
Not taking it is ok too, suicide is actively killing oneself, not just abstinence from trying to live as long as possible.

>The problem with futurism is that people project their perspective on life on the future. People in the 1800's did with with really stupid ideas.
Like what?

>Immortality gets boring
but how could you know that

Protestants and millennialists.

The sooner I'm out of this decaying, decrepit and broken body, and into my new renewed eternal glorified body, the better.

Why do you think Jesus refused to take the world from satan?

We're talking to people who believe in God, not muslims. Thanks for playing though.

I don't know why anyone didn't point this out already, but there's a difference between Immortality and Invincibility. If you are immortal, if you get your head crushed, you still die

and if*

>Christian """morality"""

Is there a commandment against AI?

I wouln't be worried about 100 years or 1000 a million or even a billion years. We are talking about an infinite amount of time here. What happens after the death of all know planets and suns? What will come of you once there will be noting more than a bunch of decaying black holes?

I did tough of that. I suppose is would make it a non-issue in such a case. But the hypothetical scenario where that cannot happen is more useful for the problem in question.

There obviously isn't a specific one. Tho I guess one could argue that humans creating life can be considered sinful. That is, if you believe that an advance I.A can be considered life.

youtu.be/1zMf_8hkCdc
God Bless friend.

>>the only way to be immortal is to be a cyborg
Immortal maybe, but halting or reversing the aging process is not the same thing as being immune to all possible causes of death, nor does it necessarily require you to make yourself into a cyborg either.

That's where comes in

Everything material will come to an end, God wills it.

I'm watching a catholic bishop using buddhist ideas to explain the basis of god. Seems like we've gone full circle, bois.

What do you have against steampunk?

I just try and remember what I learned in my Heidegger course, in that a large component of the meaning of ebbing and your radically unique existence is this thrownness towards your own-most negation, aka your death. What gives life meaning or significance is the fact that you are not dead but also the fact that you are moving towards your death. What gives meaning to being a student is the movement towards not being a student, graduation. To become immortal is to get rid of that which gives significance and meaning to your existence. To accept immortality is to reject the finite nature of life, which is essential to Being. To reject immortality is to accept the finite nature of your life and to find meaning and significance in your life.

To bring God into the question of whether or not there is a reason why he made our existence instead of being immortal.

What Buddhist ideas lol? Before you share is most likely misinformed. Understand that when two isolated areas of the world come up with the same realization it's evidence of a universal truth, not someone's intellectual property. We all know there's a God. What were trying to figure out is who's actually representing him.

I would recommend you the Summa Theologiae by St. Thomas Aquinas but it's extremely dense. Theologians recommend read a summa of the Summa first kek.