Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hP2mlUR20V8
youtube.com/watch?v=CLx3hzzIXhk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nope.

Yes.

>everything covered in gold and precious gems
no

This desu. I'll take Doestoevsky's peasant Christianity, which as far-flung as anywhere else is relative to Israel, is still about the purest strain I've found. But none of this Catholic ("Orthodox Catholic" or the usual sort) buffoonery

ah yes fine robes and palaces just like Jesus would have wanted

Hello

Buy glorifying God is a good thing, why can't you do that through beautiful art available to everyone?

>Now when Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came up to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive ointment, and she poured it on his head, as he sat at table. But when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, “Why this waste? For this ointment might have been sold for a large sum, and given to the poor.” But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, “Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a beautiful thing to me. For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. In pouring this ointment on my body she has done it to prepare me for burial. Truly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what she has done will be told in memory of her.”

Hmm

>the ointment meme right on cue
You are literally trying to justify ridiculous pagentry, stop,think about what you are doing and acting and how it might reflect on your precious religion for even one instant.

>beautiful rituals for the express purpose of worshipping god are bad because reasons

Well... yeah.

Exodus 25:8-18
(8) And let them make me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them.
(9) According to all that I show thee, the pattern of the tabernacle, and the pattern of all the furniture thereof, even so shall ye make it.
(10) And they shall make an ark of acacia wood: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
(11) And thou shalt overlay it with pure gold, within and without shalt thou overlay it, and shalt make upon it a crown of gold round about.
(12) And thou shalt cast four rings of gold for it, and put them in the four feet thereof; and two rings shall be on the one side of it, and two rings on the other side of it.
(13) And thou shalt make staves of acacia wood, and overlay them with gold.
(14) And thou shalt put the staves into the rings on the sides of the ark, wherewith to bear the ark.
(15) The staves shall be in the rings of the ark: they shall not be taken from it.
(16) And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee.
(17) And thou shalt make a mercy-seat of pure gold: two cubits and a half [shall be] the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof.
(18) And thou shalt make two cherubim of gold; of beaten work shalt thou make them, at the two ends of the mercy-seat.
(19) And make one cherub at the one end, and one cherub at the other end: of one piece with the mercy-seat shall ye make the cherubim on the two ends thereof.
(20) And the cherubim shall spread out their wings on high, covering the mercy-seat with their wings, with their faces one to another; toward the mercy-seat shall the faces of the cherubim be.
(21) And thou shalt put the mercy-seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.

You don't see any hypocrisy or irony in a priest caste having ostentatious displays of wealth while preaching a religion that espouses renouncing earthly desires and pleasures?

I agree with ya mate

youtube.com/watch?v=hP2mlUR20V8

>adorned with physical wealth
>laden with idols
>men dressed and acting like literal Pharisees
>"true Christianity"
Spotted the Orthocuck.

>Exodus
>Jesus

>having ostentatious displays of wealth

The priest doesn't own it, and it's not a display of wealth; it's for everyone, and until relatively recently would have been the only way for your average person to contact high art.

John 8:56-58
(56) Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day; and he saw it, and was glad.
(57) The Jews therefore said unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
(58) Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.

the wealth isnt a problem. God deserves what is best, Churches are the only place in which luxury isnt trashy.

The problem of the Orthodox Church is it has always been a branch of government, with the Byzantines, and Tsars, and Communism, and in the present.
Something the one true Church shouldnt be, and in the case of Russia, the last patriarchs have been/are former KGB agents.

That closeness between State and Church always ends badly.
If Putin ever falls, the new antiputin government will the Russian Church as putinist collaborators.

This is objectively what Jesus meant.

The longer you guys deny, the sadder you look.

And what goes for art and architecture goes for music as well

youtube.com/watch?v=CLx3hzzIXhk

Not really, the Orthodox Church has its teachings and sometimes the government goes along with them.

>being this much of a spineless shill, that no minor criticism of the church can be sustained without you tossing out an elementary school fact
I imagine mom's proud.

>p-prouder t-than your mom...

There is literally nothing wrong in and of itself with a strong relationship between Church and state. It's objectively a good thing that the government recognize the truth of Christianity.

Allahu Ackbar.

But Christianity clearly isn't true, or it wouldn't have so many contradictions and outright nonsense in the Bible.

Nope

>christianity is based on my meme fundamentalist understand of one part of the greater christian tradition

Christianity predates the bible.

>Christianity predates the bible.
And it wasn't true then either. But the methods involved in its creation, as well as the clearly contradictory stuff to the older religious traditions it supposedly grows out of, clearly show it to be a very man made and very flawed work, not something made by God.

A "true" Christianity would never have adopted such a fucking illogical mess to begin with.

There are no contradictions.

Yes there are. They are numerous and explicit, but let's start with the one between Matthew 1 and 1 Chronicles 3; how many generations DO you have between David and Jechonias?

And while you're chewing on that one, was Jesus crucified on the day after the paschal offering was brought, as the three synoptics claim, or on the same day, as John claims?

I think he means the whole thou shall not kill thing, yet the isrealites killed and destroyed entire cities because God said so,as punishment for the fact they were pagan idol worshipers. And the whole stone people even in the case of certain nonviolent crimes.

No, I don't. For starters, it doesn't even say "Do not kill" but rather "Do not murder", using the Hebrew תרצח instead of תהרג

I was really going for actual differences in claims to historical fact, as well as theological ones. Differences in crucifixion date, supercessionism, the strict monotheism/monolatrism of the OT, the view that even in the messianic era sin offerings would be brought, the non-exceptionality of resurrection, etc.

The other user summed it up well, it's literally a mistranslation. It never said "thou shalt not kill".

>i-it's beautiful
Daode Jing 9: When gold and jade fill your rooms, you'll never be able to protect them.

If eastern catholic then yes. If orthodox then the worship is right but done by schismatic bishop who has no right to excersize his sacramental powers.

I wonder how much gold stained with the blood of Aztec and Inca infants was needed to decorate those gaudy abominations.

>how many generations DO you have between David and Jechonias?

How is that relevant to Christianity? Is it not possible that people were left out of the genealogy?

>was Jesus crucified on the day after the paschal offering was brought, as the three synoptics claim, or on the same day, as John claims?

There are different possible explanations for this, but it's not an insurmountable problem.

So according to this thread TRUE Christianity is primarily distinguished by number and size of golden statues and willingness to justify killing people.

And what is really the difference between murder and killing besides legal usage by lawyers.

Right now I'm between Orthodoxy and Hare Krishna. No kidding. I can't say I 100% believe in any. I like them for philosophical reasons. Why should I chose the one over the other?

>but done by schismatic bishop
you mean like the pope?

reminder that Rome is excommunicated by the church

you spelled mormonism wrong

look up mormon evidence

You're an insecure teenager looking for an identity, the question is whether either spirituality is going to be something that enriches your life in the long term. KC has a steep learning curve, but Orthodox churches are usually ethnic churches; assuming you actually want to be part of a congregation, not just spout memes about Byzantium on cartoon imageboards, it's a question of which community will support you in your life.

>Orthodox churches are usually ethnic churches
aren't catholic churches ethnic too? who are catholic in the usa? mexicans, italians, irish, etc.

come to think of it, which religion isn't ethnic? buddhism is asian, hinduism is indian, protestantism is germanic, etc.

The only thing I took away from orthodoxy on this site is that apparently they believe Jesus was an ass-rape baby