What do the british think of the war of 1812?

What do the british think of the war of 1812?

They don't. They have 1500+ years of history and countless generations of kings to study. Sad fact is that Americans have a short history because we are a young nation.

It's not remembered by many. As far as the British side of the war is concerned, I think only Canadians care about it that much - to the point of claiming credit for burning down the White House.

It was a silly war for all sides concerned. The British parliament voted to end the press ganging of American sailors just days before the US government declared war on Britain for that very reason, so it was just a transparent attempt by the Americans to annex land further north. But it seems all the offenses made by both sides failed (US invasion of British North America, and the British invasion of the US from the south), and so the conflict ended in a 'draw'.

Both sides mostly got BTFO on the offense despite burning down each other's capital

The Brits have some ability to save face about it since they were fighting two wars and deploying across the sea. The American defeats in Canada were just embarrassing. The British had a few impressive victories in this regard despite the eventual failure of their offensives.

On the naval side, the Americans ended up with some early 1 vs 1 victories against British light frigates with their heavy frigates (in modern terms it would be more like a destroyer vs a cruiser) before losing in that regard as well and ended up blockaded.

The ending was status quo ante bellum but the British rather clearly won since they contained the Americans regionally and didn't lose anything. It was the US's war to win and they simply didn't get it done.

In the immediate aftermath and next several decades nationalists on both sides had a lot of meat for argument over why they were superior in the war, generally digging heavily into minutiae to try claim the moral victory in the naval combats. Since then however shifting alliances, the passage of time, and larger more interesting wars have caused it to drop off the cultural lexicon.

Like all wars they fail to win they slink away and go "d-didn't count fuck you dumb Americans" while their retarded Canadian brothers talk about the time they burned the White House down the same way every loser with only 1 even half-notable accomplishment to their name tells you the same story 20,000 times.

Sounds like there is a booty blasted burger in this thread. Do you go on similar rambles when people talk about who won Nam?

British are illiterate on regards to their own history.

Pretty minor stuff in the history of Britain that one really cares about that much, don't forget the Napoleonic Wars were going on at the same time and they were so significant they were known as the Great War until WW1 came along. Fun to post on the Internet that we burned down the White House, though.

It's not really a significant event in British history, though.

I'm pretty pro-American and I'm not being rude or nasty about the US or being an /int/ style shitposter but I do think the entire early US history gets entirely overblown in terms of world significance by Americans. I can completely understand this because due to large migration from Europe and expansion Eastwards during the 19th and 20 Centuries you eventually became the world's largest economy and the current dominant power in the world and I respect that. However the truth is that the US Revolution and the War of 1812 and even the US Civil War really aren't major events in terms of global history. The US had the same size of population as modern Scotland when you became independent.

Imagine if during the height of WW2 the US had taken part in some minor side border skirmish unrelated to WW2 that didn't really effect anything much and then imagine how much people in the US would care about that skirmish in 2145. That's how I view the 1812 war.

Not as young as Germany and Israel

The British parliament voted to end the press ganging of American sailors just days before the US government declared war on Britain for that very reason, so it was just a transparent attempt by the Americans to annex land further north.

Keep in mind how slow communications were at this time. The Battle of New Orleans was fought almost a month after the Treaty of Ghent was signed with neither side being aware of the treaty.

sorry forgot a > before the first line

No because that was a clear loss. Our military hasn't truly won a war (outside of the Gulf War I guess) since World War II. For a great military power we've got a piss poor track record over the last 70 years.

>Grenada
>Panama
>Dominican Republic (1960s)

This is a very fair assessment.

We bow before you, in horror at the titans that you've conquered.

>Korean War [China and NK both had the explicit goal of conquest of the peninsula; the USA's primary goal was holding the status quo, with conquest of the North as a secondary goal]
>Gulf War
>Kosovo War
>Libyan War
>Dominican Civil War
>Panama
>Grenada
>etc.

The Iraq and Afghanistan wars are still ongoing I guess, no idea what will happen there. The USA's limited military intervention in Syria (mostly airstrikes and special forces) has been extremely successful so far.

Please Sir, I can read no more. You clearly have triumphed over so many mighty nations. We yield, Earth yields!

Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world during the Gulf War, and the USA projected an equally-sized force to the other side of the world and annihilated said army in four days with a 1:100 casualty ratio in their favor. Scaring the shit out of the Chinese observers and prompting immediate reorganization of their military apparatus.

>conquerors of Babylon

>size is the same as effectiveness

A side story in the main quest called the French Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars

Not much really. Just like the War for Independence. Small internal colonial stuff compared to the mainland continental struggles and Indian expansions at the time. In the grand scheme of things the British Empire just wasn't that concerned.

We don't really remember it. It was a minor sideshow during the massive existential wars against Napoleon.

Both of those have a cultural history much longer than their history as a nation state. America can honestly only be traced back until the first European colonists arrived, and ultimately the first English settlers arrived in North America. Beyond that, we have to reach back to our mother country, and that's different for every American citizen.