/rgt/ - Robinhood General Thread

"At least you're not this guy" edition

Cryptoshills let us have our safe space!

Robinhood FAQs --
- VISIT THE WEBSITE FIRST DAMMIT!! - www.robinhood.com

> How is it free?
Robinhood earns revenue by collecting interest on the cash and securities in Robinhood accounts, much like a bank collects interest on cash deposits and by collecting fees from robinhood gold.

> It's been X days, why isn't my account verified yet?
Not being approved in 3 days seems to be the new norm. Nevertheless, call/email their support if you've been waiting more than that.

> When is it coming to my country?
The only "plans" are on an Australian and Chinese beta. Neither of which has gained much traction.

> I hit sell when the stock was X.XX, but it actually sold at a lower price, why?
Robinhood graphs are shit and only show you an average, not true real-time prices. To get Bid/Ask prices and important things like candlestick graphs, you should use a more robust platform.

> Where can I get better charting or bid/ask?
Real brokers, like TDAmeritrade's thinkorswim. Otherwise you should be using tradingview.com, stockcharts.com, finviz.com, or a non-pile-of-shit for your graphing in addition to Robinhood.

-- Links --
Premarket Movers:
nasdaq.com/extended-trading/premarket-mostactive.aspx

Earnings Report Calendar:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

I got into XIV at $81.00

give it to me straight what am I in for

how easy it is to liquidate a stock

kind of curious

snap down to 11.44 in after hours lol

That's embarrassing. I thought making shit in my first 2 months was bad

Can someone help me out with Stochastic RSI?

It seems really useful, but the results drastically change when I change the candle interval on the chart. For instance when looking at AMD with 1 day candles, the the stoch. RSI makes it look very oversold, but if I change the interval to one week, it says it's overbought.

What does this mean? Should I just sell within the week if I buy on a day-interval low RSI?

Depends on the stock. Blue chips have high trade volumes and are only one step away from cash.

whats the best the best brand of rope to buy? askin for a friend

To drag his profits home from the bank I assume?

Thoughts on shorting the Dow Jones?

i'm thinking of picking up those inverse ETF's

S-something like that

What a shit day. Hopefully this makes trump shut the fuck up.

Negative he continued to mouth off unfortunately. Friday is gonna be fun.

tomorrow is probably going to be worse tbqh senpai, especially right before the weekend

we bear market now

fuck it. you guys are no help

>:(

i'm shorting the dow, buying crypto and emerging markets.

What happened here- AMD? Gold mining? Pharma memes?

I can't wait to lose even more on RAD tomorrow!

Did anyone do worse than me today?

fug

-$7500 here.

Waiting and then being rich in like 3 years because the VIX is a broken product that will always be profitable to short thanks to contango.
t. turned 10k into 6 figures from XIV and shorting UVXY.

So you honestly think I should average down into it?

all of the doomsayer talk is getting to me even if I don't think there's a 1% chance the US is going to war

Yes. The fund isn't going to blow up, the VIX has literally never risen to a level that would cause a short VIX fund to unwind; so you're safe.

Plow your money in then just wait.
If you wanna be cheeky couple that with shorting the UVXY into the ground on a weekly basis.

I literally don't even bother with any other part of the market anymore.

Almost as bad percentage wise

What really fucked my losses was pulling the trigger on the SHOP dip too early. Negative $120 just from that.

I used all of my margin as well so wew lad if shit gets worse next week

I want to be rich but I don't know what your words mean.

Please explain.

Well it's hard to give an in depth explanation of how the VIX works over Veeky Forums; for a really good study I'd recommend popping over to a used textbook store and buying a college level textbook on derivatives.

In essence what the VIX is; is a measure of the implied volatility on the market. The number you'll usually see is what is called the "Spot Price", all this number is, is what the VIX is worth at this exact moment. However the VIX isn't actually traded by that number, that's purely for determining the settlement of the futures contracts on the VIX. You see you can't actually trade the VIX, it's not a real product. However you CAN have cash settled futures contracts based around that number that'll settle based on where it falls. So when you have a product; for instance XIV; what XIV is doing is taking an equal weighted portfolio of front month and next month futures of the VIX and continually changing these futures contracts over in order to form a short spot ETF.
Cont.

Now, for the reason in which XIV is such a good product to be long on; VIX is in what's either called Contango or Backwardation at all times. Contango is a condition that VIX is in roughly 75% of the time in which you are able to sell a contract for a price higher than what the spot price is. So if you are short lets say a contract of VIX for August you would probably be able to short the contract around 20 dollars as the implied VIX price; even though the current price of VIX is only 16. When doing so you are paid out premium as though you were buying an ATM futures contract, and as a result you're taking in a huge amount of premium off these contracts on a month by month basis. So if VIX stays neutral which for 99% of it's lifetime it does you're going to sit there and collect premium off of Contango due to the fact that you're continually selling ATM contracts that are worth more than the spot price.
Cont.

This is also what causes products like UVXY to perpetually lose money, because when you are long VIX you are on the losing end of contango and are forced to buy a contract above what the current spot price is for an ATM price; accelerating your losses.

Now Backwardation is the exact opposite phenomenon and only occurs in situations where the VIX is rapidly spiking; which is extremely uncommon and will always end up back in Contango due to the mean reversing nature of the VIX.

As for WHAT the VIX is; the VIX is a product that simply measures the put:call ratio on the SPY. Circling back to my earlier statement that the XIV or VMIN are safe; is because they would need a over 100% interday move in the VIX to get wiped out; which is essentially impossible due to the structure of the VIX.

TL:DR Continually put all your money in XIV/VMIN and just wait.

This is really helpful user, thanks. I don't have much capital now (about 5k) and I'm just getting started. Outside of "bet it all on videogames" I have no idea what I'm doing.

Yeah I mean, for perspective 12% of your portfolio on VMIN is equivalent to having your entire portfolio in the SPY.

It's genuinely the best trade on the market, and I have no plans on abandoning it until the VIX goes away.

If you don't understand other terms like shorting, or options I'm happy to help.

I'm all good for now. Cheers lad.

I bought 500 amd shares at $12.20 then sold them almost immediately for a $200+ loss

you know nothing

Kek, get rekt scrub! I'm waiting to buy it from you if it ever reaches it's floor.

I saw an analysis where it's supposed to be worth at least 3 bucks a share given its position as of immediately after the failure of the merger, so I'm content sitting on it for a while.

You a finance major by any chance?

It's insane how complicated we've made financial markets.

I have share from $4.19. I am gonna use my dividend money to double down.
Read the god damn earning reports you turbo baka.

sorry for your loss bro

hopefully tomorrow picks up

I know what I got, firm offer 2.75 a share lots of mods only taken for a ride on Sundays

>Buy high
>Sell low

Never fail biz!

1st for hating current volatility

>SNAP

top kek

SHORT DRYS

SHORT SHORT SHORT

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN

What will they try next since this was a failure?

>tfw bought AMD today

It's going to go down more tomorrow, I can feel it.

Please let it be so. My Aug25 13 puts are worth almost 3X what I paid for them Monday.

So how will the orange man ruin us tomorrow?

m-more red today guys?

So, isn`t today the perfect day to invest in SVXY? Or maybe Monday will be even worse?

stock fags LUL

good price to buy bean atm it gets a sprout every couple of days

I wonder what the stock fags feel when they see me making more off bitbean than their precious 'stocks' LUL

I bought BitBean at about 30 satos, still up 200%. The total I have is 1M BITBs.

Good morning goyim!

>T. Kim

Looks like I'm going to lose another month's worth of salary today.

CEI

Any good DUDE WEED stocks worth looking into

should i just stay out of the market for now lads? ive been trying to learn how to pattern trade for about a month now and within a few days of starting the market really slowed down and now we have Trump saying more shit every day about starting war with NK.

Everyone I watch has been saying how slow the markets are for weeks now, even this thread. Is this a bad time to learn?

I'm been out of the game for 6 months, and I see $NOG is under $1. I know this shit was bouncing around $2-$4 last winter (my biggest gains came from it).

Is it worth grabbing now and holding until winter again? Seems like this is at least a double my money situation.

weed was recently linked to a digestive system disorder, so it's not looking good. You missed that one.

Meh. Smoking causes cancer and people still do it.

We're at the peak of a 10 year bull market and in the middle of some of the wildest geopolitical times in history Watch, but don't act. If you do decide to buy. Stick to commodities for the time being.

Well Im not really swing trading or anything, I do the meme where I trade a few stocks intraday, usually hodling less than 10-15 minutes, but the markets for stocks that DO pop tend to be really choppy and are hard to predict looking at 1-5 minute charts, and the ones that DO show signs of strength will only give 1 or 2%, or totally dump out.

Thoughts on SWN??

Trump said some more shit today so prepare yourselves for another day of rape

What that means is that from a day trader's perspective, for that one day, at the exact time that you're looking at it, it's oversold and you could potentially make some money for it that day if you're quick and good. But in the perspective of one week, it's overbought, and you will most likely lose money if you buy and hold for that week.

You're fine then. You keep you're market exposure low. Just be ready to switch to the bear side when this shit nose dives.

Woke up to +20% whew what a time to be alive

*your

Why is DRYS mooning? Did they announce an end of dilution?

ran out of investors to rape so theyre trying to lure more in

jees. shoulda held.

EM was a good buy 4 month ago ago man, what EM specifically? I saw a lot of success with artificial intelligence in EM through etfs.

DryShips Inc. Announces Termination of the Common Stock Purchase Agreement With Kalani Investments Limited

@ open moon or dump. it could go either way.

NAK

ATTAK

Daily reminder to never buy DRYS

Well I got fucked by NVidia even though they posted good earnings. At least that JCP play payed off.

it's definitely gambling. you have to think of it like throwing your money into a fire, except that the fire has a very small chance of exploding into gold

almost played a scalp. but i hate drys so much i cant pull the trigger. I would have got rekt too.

almost expect nvda to close in green today.

Lads pls.......

>bought 2k shares of JCP before earnings yesterday
>no choice but to double down, bought 3k more today

Currently all in on JCP at 5k shares. Let's let this baby hit $8.

youre gonna make it

Dry fuckin Ships

>DRYS

should have listened to my own advice

BABA WHYYYYYYY

Almost jumped the gun yesterday. 50 at 1.95, sold at 3.51

fuck this

Definitely. People went full retard on that earnings call yesterday.

Is the bull back? Time to go short on volatility?

>"Jared, I released another statement to keep the goys in turmoil. Keep buying the dips, tell my buddies at Goldman too"

THIS IS THE LAST WARNING FOR YOU SLOW ASS RETARDS

C
E
I

I... I think I'm gonna buy into DRYS if it holds at the 3.50 level through 10:05 am

Bought some at .1975

>DRYS

Trump is too stupid to understand stocks.

Only liberal intellectuals make money trading.

Come on you fucks. Keep buying/hodling