The first and only dynasty in the country

>the first and only dynasty in the country
>the oldest still ruling dynasty in the world
>the only monarchy in the world where the monarch still reigns under the title "emperor"
>their people name eras after them
>they are regarded as literal gods

How did they do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipope
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By not being actually important enough to usurp their position.

This
800< years of being figureheads

Doesn't actually rule, allowed shoguns to handle mostly everything till Meiji restoration, never had serious rivals, lived isolated, super duper high assabiya due to being literally autism : the country.

All hail to the Emperor!

The power of a monarch waned and grew in literally every other monarchy, except when that happened the monarch in question usually got killed off/exiled/dethroned.

Why the fuck didn't the shogun just say, fuck you, I'm the emperor now? Why bother even having him as a figurehead?

Powerless since 1000 AD.
Let live due to symbolic importance in Nip religion.

Also his formal title is "Heavenly Sovereign" (Tenno). He's only emperor because the Japs don't refer to him as "King" ("O", or 王), but historically, the other Asians and early European visitors called him the King of Japan.

Probably the same reason no powerful ruler ever usurped the position of the pope even when he was in his weakest position. That shit got a religious connection

Becuase the Japanese royal family are supposed to literally descended from Amaterasu, it takes divine right to another level when your monarch is WE WUZ KAMI N KUSO

Same reason Nikiphoros and John didn't usurp Basil II. Legitimacy.

Was the japanese emperor ever something other than a flag to wave around during war and parades?
He is a literal poster boy.

They used to not even let him out of the house, most people weren't even allowed to look at one

In the late Ottoman period they had the sultan under lock in his palace, to ensure that his sons are his own, and preserve the bloodline.
All he'd do is drink, eat sweets, fuck, read and write poetry, and meet diplomats.
When the empire ended they gave him a train ticket and some pocket money and kicked him out of the country. He had no fucking idea what to do outside, I think he ended up in France?

The Japanese emperor is more like a pope than actual emperor, the real leader is the Shogunate

A lot the Osman family lives in America now, monarchy lost power because the young Turks and when Atatürk took over I don't think he had much love for the monarchy and caliph

Is this family still technically caliphs?
As in, is the oldest man of the family the ruler and leader of all islam, and the pope of islam basically, and having the power to reform?

Shinto isn't the sort of religion that can be reformed, they tried it once and it didn't work, people just worship their local deities and acknowledge the Emperor as a spiritual uniter (yes they still do, they just don't think he's literally God on Earth anymore) of the nation due to his divine descent

>shinto

The Osmanoglu dynasty are caliphs of islam, not shinto...

Oh shit, thought we were still talking about Japan

I believe the title of Caliph is one that is purely popular. That is, it's not like a Western title where it travels with your blood, he lost it the moment he lost power. So no, the Osman's hold no power anymore. In fact, I'm fairly certain the Turkish government actually has laws preventing them from holding any government power, property, or wealth in Turkey.

Plenty of rulers usurped the Pope's power, they just didn't do it themselves. They setup Antipopes. Basically claimants to the Pope's throne. There's actually some debate about whether or not the current "lineage" of Pope's is the legitimate one (not that it matters because the last serious Antipopes were around in the 1400s).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipope

I doubt it, the last caliph (can't remember the name right now) was forced to give up the title I'm pretty sure and then him and his family fled

Yes but they didn't declare themselves to be the pope, they set up "pretenders" to help whatever cause they had.

Literally ony 2 emprerors have been important in Japan's history though. They are cosmetic.
Meiji was a based man though.

Why is the Japanese emperor the most non-emperor emperor in history?

At which point did he ever stop being de facto ruler?

He's more of an Emperor than any of them during the Heian, Kamakura or Muromachi

Late Heian period. 1000s-1100s give or take.

The government became complacent and the people looked toward their local strongmen- the feudal lords- for protection. Who, in turn, increased the power of the warrior class which they relied upon to protect themselves and their feudal subjects.

It came to a head when competing scions of the Imperial Family: the Taira and the Minamoto, quarreled over who gets to babysit the Emperor. Ensuring the cuckedness of the Emperor of Japan

When you look at this pic, you can really see the Chinese influence.

Even then Meiji's role was a tad limited. He certainly did believe in modernisation and worked with his government but eventually he influence and work diminished and the new government took over and he returned to a position of not doing much and when he was older he was sick with diabete, uraemia and I think obesity issues. He was pretty cool though.

Heian was a very Chinkaboo period

At least he wasn't as useless as his predessesors and his follow ups.

His son, Taisho, was doomed to be kinda useless because of his illnesses. He was born with lead poisoning and all throughout his life he could barely stay awake and had frequent fevers.

If you're interested in Meiji see if you can get the book Emperor Meiji and his world, it's long but worth it and gives insight to Meiji on a more personal level.

>>All he'd do is drink, eat sweets, fuck, read and write poetry, and meet diplomats.
well this is my life minus, the pleasures

Was pretty impressive he could sort out the autistic fucking mess that was left behind by the Tozama in their 250 year quest for revenge of Sekigahara

They forgot the shaved eyebrows and black teeth but I guess no one is smiling so whatever

Holy shit mother fuckers that's not correct. I'm responsible for most of the Veeky Forums fashion threads that sprung up recently and that is not accurate enough. Heian period was actually a rebellion against Chinese fashion at the time and some control once Japan finally found its own identity as "le land of the rising sun" meme. Before that like Nara period and earlier is when they were extreme chinkaboos.To set this in motion they had their own writing system starting to be used more besides just kanji such has hiragana and katakana. They went against Chinese fashion trends at the time like up-dos and had more radical styles.
That one pic with the female hair style is just one hair style that was used rarely on very formal occasions by the empress and her ladies. Most of the period was defined by very long hair, usually with middle part robes with 12 layers of cloth (show wealth though it must have been a bitch to take off) , blackened teeth, and shaved eyebrows that were then drawn in a certain way.
Sorry of the perceived autism but I read up on stuff like this alot.

More like, all the emperors before mid Heian period when they were so caught up in asthetics and art, they didn't give e a shit about their subjects outside the palace anymore and made their own super secret club in "the heavens."(goodness why are Japanese just autists) Then samurai clans took over easily.

As far as I'm concerned they only stopped being Chinkaboos when they told them to fuck off and stopped paying tribute, and that was under the Ashikaga

I thought you meant in terms of fashion and culture but fine. Just wanted to let you know that Heien was actually one of the least chinkaboo periods in terms of culture.

What was the Emperor doing during the Sengoku period?

Reading poetry and fucking, they met all the presumable Shoguns though, even if the Konpaku generally was in charge

Courtiers and warlords did that all the time in Japan. Assassinations, forced resignations, spiting the succession into two lines to keep the emperor under control, going to war to restore the thrown to the "legitimate" claimant.