How has nationalism come to be perceived negatively?

How has nationalism come to be perceived negatively?

Nationalism often leads to wars of aggression and even genocide

NO, THAT IS ZIONISM, AND INTERNATIONALISM.

There is no causal pathway between nationalism and wars/ genocide.

Tribalism leads to both of those.

Nationalism is perceived positively, but not when white nations do it, then it's evil and literally Hitler.

Nazis and the communist propaganda that followed. Hitler was (probably) a double agent meant to ruin the image of nationalists and anti-globalists.

Blame the hunniggers.

Because it is most heavily associated in the public mind with disastrous political regimes?

Because it leads to economic nationalism, which nobody wants. Nationalism is born out of and only allowed to succeed in environments of frustration with economic downturns linked to global market upheavals. It is cloaked in muh race, muh religion, muh patriotism and muh history just to make it look different from what it is

Germans.

Hitler ruined it

You mean any ideology whatsoever? Especially communism? Neato

>what is the USA, the Netherlands, and the British Empire

Germany.

Consider my point proven: . Another moron who parrots what happened in Germany as the definition of nationalism, and has read only about german pan-nationalism. Do note that most nationalists don't consider pan-nationalism to be actual nationalism

Your point is a weak attempt at justifying global governance. Go back to /leftypol/. This isn't a political board. This is a board for insulting Krauts and discussing men from history times.

user I think you didn't get my post.

Imperialism

It's no longer useful for established institutions (advertising, mass media, bureaucracy) as a means of social control, on the contrary it's detrimental in many ways to their interests (see public outcry over TPP for instance).

While patriotism was an important ideological justification for the overt imperialism of the 19th and early 20th centuries, the more modern and subtle forms of exploitation depend on amiable & transactional relationships with client states. You notice more themes today about 'equality', 'fairness', 'diversity', and tolerance which seek to inculcate an attitude more pliant to modern neoliberal foreign policy goals.

This is probably the best explanation I've seen, user

This is a pretty good explanation. Too often people muddy the water with their own biases in regard to the subject (especially here on Veeky Forums).

>It was an offspring of romanticism, which is dead.
>WW2
>In some nations it is related with communism and communism is bad
>It's conflicts with the two remaining values of French revolution

And most importantly
>Scale of empires had grown past nations

hmm...makes me think

from what i know, it's because of the fear of someone becoming cocky and believing in that they are the aryan race. i.e. Nazi Germany

this is really good, nice job user

Interesting take.

Freedom of movement and capital are in line with the bourgeois interests which dominate society and are not compatible with the nationalism of the past.

Cos they just an I M A G I N E D C O M M U N I T Y