Russo Japanese War

I'm becoming quite interested in this war, what can Veeky Forums tell me about it?
Was it very significant or important and how was it viewed at the time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=87YMLoT72z8&index=1&list=PLdLf8wtDlsvwCOmXUConwks3LGoQMqVJz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_of_the_Russo-Japanese_War
usnwc.edu/getattachment/41943426-2ee1-45d3-8c6d-79f640fc3464/The-Russo-Japanese-War--Primary-Causes-of-Japanese.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Very significant in that it was the first time a European power was beaten in a war they didn't start in centuries. It also was heavily watched by foreign observers who came to the conclusion that infantry charges could overwhelm machine guns, which served them not at all well in the next big war.

Basically it showed how retarded Nicholas actually was to be BTFO by a bunch of upstart nips that only industrialized 50 years before.

Despite this, Nicholas thought it was a good idea to go to war with the Germans who were light years ahead of the Japanese.

Not only did he deserve to be shot but his family as well to stamp out that retardation.

Japan should have taken Siberia.

>japan should've taken Siberia
How and why?

bumping for interest

Japan (theoretically) could have demanded siberia from russia as the entire war was essentially fought in 2 to 3 battles which the japanese imperial army won decisively. However duebto the terrain of siberia an invasion would have been completely impossible meaning japan would have had no way of enforcing the demand.

it was significant because it was the only reference before the world war, so germans and austrians properly underestimated the russians

it was also significant because japan became a major power

the local newspaper was full of it back in the day, i was supposed to work on my diploma but instead i just read the reports, it was put in a good light seeing the russians were beaten and humiliated

By Siberia, I suppose I just mean all of Sakhalin and Vladivostok. At this point there was no strategic reason to invade deep in Siberia.

During the Russia civil war the Japanese sort of did, but they later left when the parliament called them back.

One of Japan's biggest mistakes.

the wild incompetence and recklessness of the tsardom shown by the war was a big factor in the 1905 revolution

Why didn't China ever invade Siberia?
Russians just blew through the majority of the natives with superior firepower and fucked them into yasack thereafter without much trouble. Even the Khanates and their remnants came around to sucking ruskie cock eventually. Why couldn't China accomplish this long before the Russians and Cossacks?

It's a really harsh environment, not many people even live there today.

Russia would've won the war if it had continued.
Its main issue was actually getting people from Russia (near Europe) to the territory where they were fighting, since they didn't have trains yet, and since their navy had a nasty combination of incompetence and bad luck.

It was a fluke, and if the fighting continued they would've corrected it, but the USA president negotiated a tame peace offer instead.
The tzar himself loved Japan and Japanese culture, so he agreed easily.

Why invade Siberia?
Real life isn't a video game. There isn't much advantage to claiming vast amounts of empty land.
On the contrary, it stretches your borders, gets you into conflict, you have to pay for mapping, administration, garrisons, roads, etc, to try to develop land that you can't defend and won't see profits from for another century.

It established Japan as a modern power (the first non western one), effectively allowing them to get rid of their unequal treaties and starting an empire of their own.

Well the Tsardom clearly thought otherwise. Which is also what makes me question why go through all that just for some sable furs.

Russia didn't invade Siberia, a bunch of private businesses invaded Siberia.
It was like England and India. The crown just followed up on entrepreneurs getting deep.

Why do you think Japan should have taken Siberia? Would they even be able to handle taking on that much territory

Rosso Japanese war theme NHK drama(Clouds above the hill)

youtube.com/watch?v=87YMLoT72z8&index=1&list=PLdLf8wtDlsvwCOmXUConwks3LGoQMqVJz

Why is Japanese dramas so comfy? the intro would be grim and edgy if it was western made

Bump

/r/ing that greentext detailing the wacky adventures of the baltic fleet

Did that actually happen? It fucking couldn't have. You can't be that stupid.

t. Rozhestvensky

wtf are you 100 years old?

>Despite this, Nicholas thought it was a good idea to go to war with the Germans who were light years ahead of the Japanese.
>Not only did he deserve to be shot but his family as well to stamp out that retardation.
>Japan should have taken Siberia.
fuck off Kolchak

They couldn't have continued. Their navy was completely crippled by the Japanese. The long distance was no help to Russia.

It's always interesting when the subhuman races clash against each other.

But Nick didn't want to go to war with Germany, he just wanted war with Austria to protect his Serbian brethren

Gets me every time.

The Japanese are white honorary Aryans

Here's a shorter part not often posted.

Pretty sure everyone thought the circus had come to town wherever the fleet coasted.

>which the japanese imperial army won decisively
The sea battles, yes. The land battles, no - they were mostly inconclusive slugfests.

I remember some user greentexted a battle for a hill where nips employed later russian zerg tactics. It was good stuff. Anyone have a screencap of it?

You're cooking up a myth there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_of_the_Russo-Japanese_War

Both on sea and land, Japan won decisively.

There was only 1 inconclusive land battle. Battle of Sandepu. In others the Japanse capture their objectives and drive/capture/kill the Russians.

Completely destroyed any credibility that Russia and the czar had

If Nicki threw the Serbs under the bus, there might be a tsar today. Probably Rasputin's descendant, but still a Tsar nonetheless.

Japan couldn't have taken Siberia, it suffered heavy losses and it's economy was at it's limit.

To all the sophomores posting what they learned for the AP exam, no Japan did not gain respect in western eyes.
They got fucked over hard.
The japanese won overwhelmingly but US and european support for the peace resulted in the japs getting fucked out of quite meager territorial claims.
Queue a decade of japs seeing the truth of the perfidious yank

Alternative is Russia couldn't have defended it, its economy was in shambles and was undergoing a massive civil unreset/revolution.

So if the case is Japan near economy limit vs broken Russia, Japan would still be able to take Siberia.

The real reason was Russia had the backings of the US/Europe. An asian country taking European land is unheard of. Especially in the times when everyone and their grandmother viewed white as a master race.

> decade of japs seeing the truth of the perfidious yank
Interested in this claim.

The japanese used to have a pretty good relation with the US and the British. Was this the turning point that lead them to be against foreign intervention and started the Emperors redpilled induced conquest persay.

Or was it that the Japanese just lost relations due to their agression in the pacific pre ww2?

Anti-japanese sentiment runs deep in American history independent of Japanese aggression.

However the Japanese aggression did escalate things. Mainly because US/Japan differed on who gets to exploit China.

The racial relationship between Japan/US merely a portion, not the whole reason why Japan withdrew from US/Anglo sphere.

It's probably one of the most forgotten/overlooked important wars in history. Reading the Sleepwalkers, Clark states/argues that it was Russia's defeat in the Russo-Japanese War that fucked up their Asian expansion plans, caused them to shift back towards the Balkans and also made them more amenable to a treaty with the Brits putting an end to the Great Game. This also meant that no treaty between Germany and Russia was possible because Britain wasn't going to ally with Germany and Germany wasn't going to abandon Austria-Hungary who directly opposed Russia's Balkan interests thus playing a good sized part in setting the stage for World War I.

I'm reading Making of Modern Japan right now and it'll be interesting to see how the significance of the war is portrayed. Reading about how the Meiji government went about centralizing and modernizing the state (literally the entire government went on an 18 month world tour to study how government, education, etc. was done in western countries) is really goddamn interesting. I can see how it would've been a surprise but the Japs had everything to prove, a chip on their shoulder and had done everything right in their approach to modernization.

>first non western one
What about the Ottomans? Wouldn't they have even be considered a power at the time of the RJ war

They were strong at least until renaissance age, by the 18-19th century they're considered the sick man of Europe, barely can be considered a modern power (though not to be underestimated)

The Ottomans were also a European power so they don't really count as non-western. If they do then so does Russia.

no user i read the newspaper in the library archive

>move your navy near the enemy port, where you are allowed to dock
>open fire and destroy all boats and men stationed there
>move your army in the fortress on the port
>then declare war officially

The eternal Jap does it again.
They also did it during WWII against the USA, first attacking, then declaring war.

Western refers to liberal cultural principles derived from Christianity and the idea that every person has a piece of God in them, this is inherently valuable and should be allowed to pursuit happiness and success.
Russia had that "western" thing, the Ottoman empire didn't.

what definitely happened was the incident with the British, since the Russians weren't allowed to use the Suez canal because of it. They also were attempting to go as fast as possible during the 7 month voyage to Japan, which meant there was little to no time for training since everyone was busy keeping the ships moving.

Striking a balance between getting to a destination as fast as possible and allowing the crew time to train is still a big issue for navies today.

china has never been in a position to invade Siberia really

In the 1960s Mao had a huge fear about Beijing. Basically the terrain from Mongolia (Soviet controlled) to Beijing was mostly flat terrain, perfect for soviet tanks to roll across.

No, Japan could have never taken Siberia. If anything, a common enemy(japanese troops) would unite the population just like in 1612, 1812 and later in 1941. The japanese economy was on the verge of collapse too.
Japanese conquest of Siberia was impossible.

Japanese didn't really want to fight the British initially, they just knew war with the americans meant war with the British. After sinking their first British ships the Japanese flew planes after them to lay down wreaths of flowers.

The Americans made peace impossible though, the resource embargos on Japan meant it either had to eventually withdraw from China (unthinkable) or attack Indonesia/other areas for raw materials.

The Russians overestimated their own power, ignored
that of Japan, and provoked the Japanese people—whom many Russians,
particularly Tsar Nicholas II, called “Asian small yellow monkeys.” They did not
study Japan or the Japanese people carefully. Because of the significant difference
of power between the two nations, the Russians even thought that Japan
would never opt for war, whatever the Japanese security concern was. Without
sufficient knowledge of Japan, they first optimistically thought that war was not
possible for Japan; even in case of war, they felt, they could knock down the weak
and barbarous Japanese forces at the first blow. The provoked and angry Japanese
showed the baselessness of this thinking

source: usnwc.edu/getattachment/41943426-2ee1-45d3-8c6d-79f640fc3464/The-Russo-Japanese-War--Primary-Causes-of-Japanese.aspx

That's not Siberia.

Reminder.

>whom many Russians, particularly Tsar Nicholas II, called “Asian small yellow monkeys.”

Nigga Tzar Nicky had a japanese dragon tattoo. He went to Japan to visit hookers, drug stores, temples, he had a blast there, got drunk, got tattooed. He wanted a Japanese-Russian friendship, he thought USA-Russia-Japan can stand up to and make Britain retreat.

Further, the Russian empire itself was fully of "small yellow monkeys", most of its territory is in Asia.

Essentially OP, it was a war where the Russians severely underestimated Japan and were defeated quite handedly. I would say in my opinion the biggest effect of the war was the outcome where external European pressure pushed back Japan's attempted gains and I would say helped prep the Japanese mindset for expansionism.

I didn't write that, it's from the paper. Doubt he is a "nigga" seeing as he's Japanese.

Melanin blessed or not, he is quoting propaganda as fact. Nicholas Romanov was a weeaboo if anything.

The public sentiment during Russia-Japan war is one that of fighting an insignificance war. Idea of fighting a war in the far east was not in the minds of general public. The pure fact the Russians were able to even keep the east asian portion of Russia is due to European exceptionalism stance that America took.

I think it was King George V who had that tattoo, he got it impress Emperor Meiji or something. They're identical though so I might be confused.

>it's
>it is

>underestimated the russians
what do you mean? the russians got their asses handed to them in the war and their commanders were pompous and incompetent disasters (though this honestly applies to most WWI commanders)

Bump

>what do you mean? the russians got their asses handed to them in the war and their commanders were pompous and incompetent disasters (though this honestly applies to most WWI commanders)

This is a meme, though the Russians were far from brilliant the war didn't go AS bad as people make it out to be, the reason people think the Russians were garbage in the war is because nobody expected Japan to be that competent, the Russian defeat was a blow to Russian prestige. The Russians were fighting very far from home, most of the troops were far from the front, a continent away, as were the fleets, in the Baltic and the Black sea. Im far from an expert on this subject im sure someone will correct me, and someone will post the attack on the British fisherman.

Not very related but its a shame the tumblehome design never caught on.

It was Nicholas, some autistic Jap bodyguard also tried to assassinate him which nearly created a diplomatic crisis that scared the shit out of Japan. A large crowd gathered outside where he was treated and prayed while one woman slit her own throat to show how sorry Japan felt.

>Russia had the backings of the US/Europe
lol Roosevelt fucking hated russians and the british were backing the nips because Russia was a rival power in India.
>Japan near economy limit vs broken Russia
No country ever just gets "broken", troops would be sent and native militia rallied.
>Japan would still be able to take Siberia.
Again, no. The person on the defensive will always have the advantage, especially in a literal fucking tundra.
>its economy was in shambles
Not really.
>undergoing a massive civil unreset/revolution
No, not really. It was experiencing turmoil, but revolution was unlikely. Then again, Russia had been in turmoil for a long ass time.

>unthinkable

And they paid for that delusion with their independence the last 72 years.

The Russo-Japanese War:

>made Japan the first non-white colonial power, and brought them to a direct collision course with the United States in the Pacific
>caused the 1905 revolution in Russia, greatly weakening the monarchy
>brought Russia's attention back to the Balkans, leading to a confrontation with Austria-Hungary
>changed naval warfare doctrine, leading to the introduction of dreadnought battleships

Do Latin Americans have this 'thing'?

Also showed Germany and Austria that Russia was beatable. The whole war really influenced ww1.

He was talking about WWI. He's wrong either way, though.

>Russia had that "western" thing
Haha, nah. Neither Russia nor Ottoman/Turkey are Western.

Nice argument, fagtron, you sure convinced me of those hot opinions.

It was humiliating for Russia, more because they signed a peace when all in all they'd come out on top if they kept at it through sheer attrition.

stop lying user

Nah he had to win the war to put some faith back in the Tsardom.

I think Japan missed a golden opportunity for dual monarchy when they annexed Korea.

though I guess that was part of the problem of having a royal family that was "divine".