Their structures are still standing more than 1...

Their structures are still standing more than 1,500 years after the last centurion snuffed it: now the Romans’ secret of durable marine concrete has finally been cracked.

The Roman recipe – a mix of volcanic ash, lime (calcium oxide), seawater and lumps of volcanic rock – held together piers, breakwaters and harbours. Moreover, in contrast to modern materials, the ancient water-based structures became stronger over time.

the Romans were aware of the virtues of their concrete, with Pliny the Elder waxing lyrical in his Natural History that it is “impregnable to the waves and every day stronger”.

THE WORLDEMPIRE OF THE FUTURE WILL BE BUILT WITH GEOPOLYMER.

Lime was a much used substance in the Roman Empire that had to be made from burning limestone with charcoal or quality hardwood. Rome's insatiable appetite for lime would have been the cause of large scale deforestation of western europe. Indeed, it is very likely that Agricola march his army into Scotland to secure supplies of lime for the building of the colosseum.

Also they did not use rebar, which is becoming suspect.

>tfw genuinely giddy about Roman concrete

REBAR IS UNNECESSARY WHEN THE CONCRETE HOLDS ITSELF AT THE MOLECULAR LEVEL; ALSO, REBAR'S OXIDATION IS DETRIMENTAL TO CONCRETE'S CONSTITUTION.

The greatest civilisation ever. Much of the Western World's everyday life is directly influenced by so much that the Romans left us, from architecture, civic well being to rules and laws. Once the Roman Empire died out in 500AD, it took us nearly 1400 years for civilisation to get back to the same level of sophistication they had.

Metal reacts with chemicals too much, rock is the best long lasting building material.

>Much of the Western World's everyday life is directly influenced by so much that the Romans left us...

DO NOT RETROACTIVELY PROJECT "WESTERN CIVILIZATION" ONTO THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

>... it took us nearly 1400 years for civilisation to get back to the same level of sophistication they had.

THE ANCIENT ROMANS HAD BETTER TECHNOLOGY THAN US.

How were people in the 16th century not at the same level of sophistication in all but a few things?

You wouldnt need metal reinforcement if you use quality materials

>tfw you will never be Trajan.

Dark ages

kys

We live in the Dark Ages right now, future historians just haven't labelled it as such yet.

Can you provide some actual things by which you measure sophistication?

A great deal of Roman writing was lost during the Dark Ages e.g. Tacitus is only known from one surviving text.

>A great deal of Roman writing was lost during the Dark Ages e.g. Tacitus is only known from one surviving text.

Germania and Agricola makes two right?

Besides do you measure the level of sophistication by the Roman writing they had? That would make people living in 480 AD. more advanced than those living now

Did you even read his post?

Yes, the Dark ages is so called because of the lack of writing, not because future generations did not like it.

So the people in the 16th century were less sophisticated because dark age people didn't write down stuff?

I am not sure I follow your line of reasoning.

I see that you lack reading comprehension...

People not writing down stuff would suggest they have nothing to say

less writing = less economic development

Yes but the Dark Ages ended in the 11th century and I don't see what they have to do with people living five centuries later.

So sure the dark ages were shit but that has nothing to do with the 16th century.

In case you missed what I said

>How were people in the 16th century not at the same level of sophistication in all but a few things?

The Dark ages ended at different times in different places,if people of those times were still using roman and greek technology, they would have ended alot earlier.

Can't you give a single straight answer? You provide literally no information whatsoever.

I have provided many concrete arguments

kek

aMERICA take note global warming is real you fat pigs.

Roman empire died in the 15th century

>you will never build a structure that will be instantly recognizable to people living thousands of years later

I could be wrong, but I feel like most skyscrapers will just pancake after a few centuries of neglect/abuse.

No, sweetie, the Roman Empire died in 1917

You aren't my sweetie, love.

it is not because people did not write things down it is because rampaging snowniggers burned everything

If the Irish were so good at preserving knowledge, why didnt they write a book on fishing?

They're just finding that out? I swear I learned this shit in like 7th or 8th grade and I live in the fucking Middle East