WW2 postcard

knows German I need someone to translate this writing. It's from a post card from one of the soldiers (will show front once translated)

Other urls found in this thread:

sktranslations.com/ten-tips-deciphering-old-german-handwriting
suetterlinschrift.de/Englisch/Write_your_name.htm?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*if anyone...

I know German but goddamn that handwriting. You sure you don't need someone who speaks Arabic?

Lmao I guess the guy was either porky educated or a doctor. Anything you can make out? Here is the front

*poorly

To be honest it may also be my fault I'm at a concert. If you can try to plainly type some I'll translate

I can't make out any of it, it's late and I'll try to see what I can do tomorrow

That was the style of handwriting they used in Germany.

It's been replaced by a more standard Latin alphabet these days. Finding someone that can read it now will be a real task.

Why was handwriting back then so detailed or hard to read, old letters always look really difficult to read

You got it boss. /int/ may be a better place to try. I've only studied German 5 years, they've had their whole lives.

letters from the past like that make me sad, it's like looking at my own future, for we all will become nameless persons whose snapshots of existence are idle curiosity for whomever is beholding them in the far future

Mostly the pen they were writing with/a janky German cursive that only emerged there/and changing times.

It's not poor handwriting/chicken scratch. He's writing Sütterlin style, which is what was taught between 1915-1941.

You'll need to transcribe the Sütterlin text to modern alphabet and then ask for a translation. Unless someone is well-versed in reading it and can do it for you.

This is way too deep for 4th of July. I just wanted to eat some burgs

(OP)
Ask on r/translator. They've translated a lot of genealogical shit for me.

The brain doesn't read letter for letter. It's an associative connection, and since modern people aren't exposed to cursive as much it's harder for us to read.

These might help.

10 Tips for Deciphering Old German: sktranslations.com/ten-tips-deciphering-old-german-handwriting

There's also this "write your name in Sutterlin" automatic transcription, it might help to take some guesses with the words and see if it matches up to the handwriting. suetterlinschrift.de/Englisch/Write_your_name.htm?

Looks more like Kurrent (of which Sütterlin was a simplified form) to me. I can read Fraktur and Schwabacher just fine, but these old handwriting styles are too much for me. No wonder they died. What the fuck where they thinking? When I was a kid I decided to boycott handwriting conventions altogether and writing in discrete print like letters instead. Fuck handwriting styles.

No idea what the hell was going on. This says Tochter. TOCHTER.

It's matching pretty well with the Sutterlin transcriber but it may be a mix of both since some of the letters seem to match more with that Kurrent chart.That's the shitty thing about handwriting, no one writes "exact" to the rules.

>That's the shitty thing about handwriting, no one writes "exact" to the rules.
Ironically, Kurrent and Sütterlin are SUPPOSED to be strict rules to be adhered to. The mixing of those styles can be explained by the fact Sütterlin was pushed by the Prussians in 1911 because Kurrent was dogshit and people who were in primary school during the transition period ended up learning a Frankenstein amalgamation of both styles.

Also a little fun fact. Pic related is the Deutsche Normalschrift invented in 1941 and this meme was pushed onto me in elementary school in the early fucking 2000s.

Op here, I got a pic of the front and I'll be home later with the card and I'll try to figure it out.

Nice card

You ever get it?