I think Brian Ború is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills vekings and doesnt afraid of anything

I think Brian Ború is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills vekings and doesnt afraid of anything.

DANE'D

*gets captured and executed by disembowelment by Based Wolf the Quarrelsome*

Holy ancient meme

Somebody tell me the story.

During the Battle of Clontarf (Which was an extremely bloody battle, there were massive feats done. Like Brians son drowning 3 vikings in the water before being drowned himself by the tide.) the Vikings were eternally btfo by the IRish. In some texts it seemed as if the gods of both the Irish and Vikings were fighting on their respective sides. Anyway one Viking Jarl named Brodir of Man escaped the battle and was behind the IRish lines. He came upon the King of Ireland Brian Ború a 80 year old man (some sources say an Irish lord betrayed Brains location becuase he didn't like him). He was too old for the battle so he camped a ways back. In some texts Brian forsaw his death and went out of his tent to face the vikings. He killed the Brodir and died of his wounds. In other texts the Brodir went into the tent and him and Brain fought. He kills Brian but is very wounded. He is caught by Wolf the Quarrelsome (Name really was Ulf) the brother of Brian. Angered at his brothers death Wolf disemboweled Brodir then wound his guts around a tree and left him to die.

Viking Age Ireland was an extremely underrated time period imo.

Those pictures definitely aren't Viking age though. They're using Reneisaince/early modern Spanish-style helms, many of which were left over from the Anglo-Spanish war of 1585-1604, during which the Spanish supported a union of Irish chiefs against the English.

Which of course brings me to
>using chain and not plate
>in Western Europe
>in the the 1500s/1600s

Were most Irish warriors (even nobles?) too poor for plate, or was the metallurgy just not there, or was it just tradition/culture, or what?

>Were most Irish warriors (even nobles?) too poor for plate, or was the metallurgy just not there, or was it just tradition/culture, or what?
Ireland's armies were usually just made up of light infantry. Only gallóglaigh which were Scottish mercenaries and kings were really were armoured which amounted to chainmail at most. Most soldiers would just fight shirtless for honour and kings would not wear helmets.
In fact during the battle of clontarf the Irish army was not that well armoured. While the vikings had their chainmail the Irish fought shirtless. Irish still practiced champion warfare as well. So I would say it was more just their culture.

I think it was all of those things in part.

As says Irish warfare was usually dominated by light infantry and skirmishers. Soldiers traditionally went unarmored, they didn't wear much besides helmets during the Viking Age, and even into later periods they called the Normans "grey ones" because they wore so much armor, in contrast to themselves.

As you say cost and you expertise in terms of manufacture might've been issues as well.

We have some depictions of very high-ranking Irish nobles like Hugh O'Neill wearing plate armor, as well as Irish mercenaries during the War of the Roses and an anonymous Irish chieftain in the Book of the De Burcos, who interestingly seems to have preferred a massive feathered hat to a helmet.

Not to knock them too much but I think Irish blacksmith work probably wasn't the best. Their native helmets from this period are quite primitive and most Irish swords have Spanish or Scottish blades fixed to native hilts, which is similar to what was done in places like Afghanistan and North Africa.

>this period
By this I mean the 16th century and thereabouts

Brain Boru was and forever will be /ourguy/

why does the dane have a smurf hat on?

Careful, you'll summon the Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill autist

Because Vikings weren't as Veeky Forums as the Irish

the battle of clontarf was between two irish factions though, not one irish and one norse

There's fuck all metal to be mined in Ireland, but it was also part of their culture to wear less armour, and show your bravery

The opposing force to Brian were a Norse-Gael alliance.

>Dubliners
Not Irish

this. The Eternal Dubliner is a blight on Ireland

>Anything
It's spelled Ui Neil

It's less cultural and more tactical. Enjoy falling in a bog and drowning

Good book though

ACTUALLY its spelled Uí Néill

>implying Ruaidhrí wasn't our lad

Thanks

>Brian Boru circlejerk every time

You're not a real bogshit if you don't pay respects to Máel Sechnaill Mac Domnáill, the guy who made Clontarf possible.

The men at Clontarf were still high off the sheer hype create by the mass ass-blasting committed upon the Norsefags at Tara.

Question:

Ireland has huge, impressive statues of people like Daniel O'Connell, Charles Stewart Parnell, Michael Collins, etc. Those people were very important to the foundation of the modern Irish state so I can understand why.

But why is there like nothing at all dedicated to the likes of Brian Boru, Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill, Ruadrí Ua Conchobair, Hugh O'Neill, Shane O'Neill, Patrick Sarsfield or Richard Talbot? Why does Ireland seem to have such apathy towards its pre-modern heroes?

*blocks your path*

Feckin' English Hun bastards

Irish national pride or irishness was absolutely dead literally until the modern-ish people revived it.

Ireland wasn't like Scotland; they didn't over time work out how to have their own culture and identity within Britishness, they were just fucked all the way out to connacht with anyone who stayed behind being assimilated into anglos.

Any proper commemoration of pre-War of Independence figures would have been arguably seen as glorification of enemies of whoever occupied Ireland at the time OR wasn't seen as worth it.

That and the fact that Ireland as we know was birthed arguably entirely from Michael Collins; he is the one who pretty much drew up all the plans to create a country out of thin air.

In my experience Irish people have alarmingly poor knowledge of anything that happened in their country before 1916, and practically nonexistent knowledge of anything that happened before 1798.

I was actually just giving a guest talk at the O'Neill House in Dungannon today and a professor of Irish history from Queen's University asked me what a Gallowglass was. I was utterly floored.

Ireland got unironically cucked out of their culture. Anglisised to the upper limit. Then got nearly genocided for their troubles.

Perhaps we will see a reinassance of Irish nativism in the near future. Maybe even accompanied by the reattaining of certain norther clay. But as of yet, the Irish are brittish lap dogs.

Nothing will happen of the sort until Ireland is united, though to be fair that'll be within our lifetime by the looks of how NI british people are carrying on.

Irish should become Anglican. Popery just doesn't work.

Can Veeky Forums recommend books on Viking Age Ireland? Historical fiction would be fine.

Strongbow: The Norman Invasion of Ireland by Conor Kostick isn't really "viking age" as you might describe it but it does describe some of the hyper-crazy shit that went down in Ireland.

Ireland is in many ways just a mini-europe; constantly at it's own throat until some bigger, badder force shows up at which point they all rally together to fight it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Ireland has such a fascinating history. I started reading about their mythology as well. Its some good stuff like the story of Cu Chulainn and the Cattle Raid.

>Cu Chulainn

That one is incredible seeing as to this day Loyalists in Ulster use him as an example of a defender of Ulster against the Irish.

Nice image. Can I post it on 9gag? It has so many meems they would like it for sure.

>that image
I never realised the Unionists were that stupid. Holy Christ as an outsider looking in that is just baffling. Are they all that unaware?
Also this guy right here holy fuck what a bad guy
>a giant demon king
>has an eye that can burn people alive by just looking at them
>Needs a construct of wood and demons to hold his eyelids open so he can kill things with it
>destroys a mountain by punching it
That is some anime shit right there

I swear to god and all my ancestors I've never met a being as autistic as the internet brit

>Balor
Part of my favourite Irish cycle.

>guy has a cow
>balor steals it
>guy is so fucking assmad about it that he goes on a quest to specifically fuck balor's daughter or sister or whatever so she can give birth to someone who's fate it is to fuck up balor
>succeeds
>she gives birth to 4 kids
>balor gets autistic and tries to drown them
>1 survives
>goes on to become a dickass god and fucks balor in the ass