Name one downside of this armor

Name one downside of this armor.

protip: you can't

mail with leather is the perfect melee armor.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age_arms_and_armour#Lamellar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_guillotine
youtube.com/watch?v=i32q0qV3gws
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't think mail and leather armor has ever been used together in the past

t. heavier than plate

Leather is fairly stiff and not light at all. You're better off reinforcing a regular padded jack with mail or wearing plate, depending on the time period. Couched lances could penetrate this kind of defence.

Heavier and less protective than plate.

>*bludgeons you*

If you wear leather armor you'll weigh to much for a boat so you'll never make it to Sardinia.

ITT people who don't know a thing about armor

Leather armor like you posted was never used.

Not an argument

Chain mail looks to be made of unbuttoned aluminum rings that are useless.

Can't stop a bullet

/thread

Teach us! We're all here to stroke our egos so stroke away we'll watch ;).

Did not know this existed

What was the first armor

if leather gets wet, then drie, it shrinks

You literally could not bend over, duck, twist, etc., in that. At least good plate can be structured to allow such movements, leather is just too stiff (especially with mail underneath) to allow any maneuverability of the core.

Underrated

Armor and sword of a Zweihander

Probably a bone cuirass like the ones they made in Siberia and North America

It gets really fucking hot.

You wear plate with cloth, padding and mail under it, so no.
Wearing plate alone is retarded and offers very little protection.

Making armor from the bones of your enemies?
Metal as fuck

More like deer bones.

did you achieved this level of idiocy by your own or someone helped?

What are they doing?

Two can play your game

East europe and west asia, look it up.

"Pin cushion" comes to mind.

>downside

Any spear or dagger will pierce it.

Didn't know spear or dagger could pierce chain Mail

Yes, that's kind of what they are designed to do.

It is highly unlikely to actually break a link in mail but these weapons usually have a thinner point that can hurt even without breaking the links.

>chainmail is butted
>chainmail is not tailored to the body
>chainmail extends beyond the gambeson
>leather is a shitty armor

The best armor will always be 16th century plate

Links are only as strong as the rivet holding them together. In the rare instances they're found in archaeological contexts, they're almost always broken individual links.

Heard you were talking shit.

I'm gonna blow your mind with this user

LARP=/=real life

*blocks your rail*

It does not have a cape

Twice as expensive.

>viking style
>not naked
Dropped

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age_arms_and_armour#Lamellar
>There is considerable debate however as to whether the lamellae in question were in the possession of a Scandinavian resident or a foreign mercenary

>all these fucking pures posting iron armor

train defense or get fucked

>ren-faire-trash-dot-jay-pee-gee

>leather besagews
>they don't shield the armpits

lel

I assumed this thread is serious about hardened leather, cuir-bouilli or however you want to spell that. Given that there is actual historical evidence for it being used on top of maille. I would hazard to guest that they were some advantages in wearing Leather, whatever those reasons were though, are lost to time.

If we're just shitposting 'Why would you wear a plate when you can wear leather? or vice versa' then I digress my statement.

>Given that there is actual historical evidence for it being used on top of maille.

Is there? The only examples I've seen are backing for metal plates.

Don't ruin it

On a Veeky Forums board, it absolute is relevant

Runescape

Rings probably butted. Shitty, loose weave. That leather is shit.

It isn't plate. No coat of plates.No forearm protection. No throat protection. It's shit.

You're a retard.

It was definitely used for recreational tournament fighting, and there is, as far as I know, a copy of ONE order by ONE lord for a few hundred pieces of leather, in addition to other gear.

Runescape

Either it still proves leather was still used as armor

Large pieces of leather are hard to make, and expensive to replace. One blow and you have to replace the whole section. Lamellar or leather scale is a better option than this larp stuff.

Also large plates of metal are superior to mail in every way, except for the amount of labour required to create them. This is why people stopped using mail

Heh.

No it doesn't. The lamellae found at Birka are made from metal. Reenactors make them out of leather because it's easier.

Can you go futher on the leather lamellar?

>implying people in the middle ages could sail all the way to Sardinia

Leather armor is a meme. People wore padded jacks of various kinds (gambeson).

>brigandine
My nigga

>Leather armor is a meme
Wrong. People in iron-poor nations would make do with leather armor.

Leather is expensive and finding enough leather to make a suit of armor would be far to expensive for the poor and far to weak for the rich

What about boiled leather? I always assumed if there was ever leather armour being used, it would be out of that.

Why only those two

Name one downside of this armor.

protip: you can't

plated mail is best

>Drowns in a river

>uses shield to float

gotcha

ask Dutch rebels how to teach Spanish invaders to swim.

Da fuck is this?

This.

*blocks your path*

*continues to use mail in the 17th century*

*cuts through mail like a katana through plate*

o-okay

Same thing could be saiy with plate

>leather is on the outside

What are you a moron.

>Leather Armor was never used
Explain this

>Leather is expensive and finding enough leather to make a suit of armor would be far too expensive for the poor and far too weak for the rich

leather armor's not close to weak. It won't prevent a sword going right through or an axe from dealing a glancing blow but will muffle most swipes and slashes and cushion projectiles fired from a distance. Combined with gambeson it being relatively cheap to make, relatively mobile, and durable, it's very efficient, and levied troops could provide it themselves.

Doesn't protect the neck.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_guillotine
enjoy being a head in a sack, nerd

>Wearing armor
>Being such a casual skrub that you even entertain the possibility that something could land even a glancing blow against you

Heh, that setup's not bad, kid, I'll grant you that much. But that's for amateurs. Real professionals know the trench coat is the way to go on the battlefield. You'll block any incoming attacks with your katana anyway, so you might as well go for style. It'll really leave an impression on the opposition, believe me, kid.

Yeah, no shit. Nothing can stop that while still being mobile. Might as well have posted a gun.

>Couched lances
Dude, a couched lance is gonna have a horse behind it and armor is not really gonna assist with that

If you could use modern manufacturing and materials, what would the best armor for warfare before guns?

>Leather Armor never existed

That will break bones through plate too.

Khorne pls

Is that a leather coat of plates

>thread blatantly talking about Europe
>BUT WHAT ABOUT CHINA!!!!!!

>doesn't know East Europeans used Leather Armor

I only need One bullet to end your life

Leather can't stop crossbow bolts. Neither can mail. Plate might be slightly dented but the man isn't dead.

So then it should be no problem to provide historical examples of them that aren't modern LARP costume?

>Plate might be slightly dented but the man isn't dead.
What. Crossbow can penetrate Plate

there is no such thing as leather "armor"

leather clothes maybe, but padded cloth seemed to be prefered

That is a 13th century coat of plates, basically plate armour held together by an exterior leather vest. It was usually worn over mail and padding.

>there is no such thing as leather "armor"
um try again sweetie

Not an argument

>he thinks buffcoats are armour
>not status symbols that support the wearing of actual armour

There was video explaining mechanics of Tiger knight game, with "real life testing"(they knew difference between riveted and butted mail, so they weren't completely clueless)
youtube.com/watch?v=i32q0qV3gws
And I love the part, when they test leather one, and
>shit, it doesn't protect against anything
>coat
>armour
yeah, it was perfect defence against rain.

>cheap
Not in europe it wasn't.

Lances were not reliable against plate breastplates. Men would target visors for this reason.