Fighting the Parthians

>fighting the Parthians
>refuse all Armenian help
>march into the middle of the desert like a retard
>absolutely no scouting ahead because having intel on the enemy army is for pussies
>fight in open terrain where the enemy horse archers have full mobility and your infantry heavy army has no cover
>bring absolutely no Sagittarii auxilia that could fire back at the horse archers or any light cavalry (like Gallic or Numidian horsemen) that could give them chase

what the hell was Crassus' problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bR7VDPUj5AE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

"I'm not splitting the loot with the Armenians, what could go wrong?" - Crassus [citation not needed]

He hired a local guide that supposedly could lead his army around the enemy. The guide was actually am enemy agent and led him into a death trap.

>what are they gonna do, trap me?

Obligatory HC video:

youtube.com/watch?v=bR7VDPUj5AE

>HC
I've never felt sorry for a square before watching his videos

>Historia Civilis

Absolute patrician taste, 10/10.

I feel like this happens every time Romans March into Persia. Same thing happened to Marc Antony.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not knowledgeable about Marc Antony's campaigns.

Nevermind, I got it confused with the later Aelius Gallus getting tricked when he marched into Arabia. Marc Antony just failed because he's a moron.

>video about a filthy pleb
>patrician taste
wHat the Fuck

Ah, gotcha. Thanks user.

he was just a rich retard, not much of a military man; he thought he could trash the parthians for a quick boost in popularity, as he was in a big cone of shadow since the other 2 members of the Triumvirate were doing very well. The difference was the other 2 men were actually good general, Crassus was just a roman Donald Trump

There was an Nabatean guide who fucked Romans up when Romans wanted to invade Arabia/Yemen

I don't think so, just look at Crassus's commands during the Social War, and especially his independent command against Spartacus. Very methodical, plodding, efficient, and brutal. Remember, he was in his 60s when he died. Could have been senility kicking in, could have been he had lost his old methodical nature and was maybe freaking out about supplies, getting over to Mesopotamia, etc. One thing he wasn't, though, at least not originally, is a bad general.

Equites > Greeks > "Noble" Plebians > Civilised Barbarians > Patricians > True Plebs

what could crassus have done to not lose at carrhae? granted, every strategic desicion was moronic on his part, but once actually deep in the desert, was all hope lost?

Once he was surrounded? Yeah, he was basically fucked. The Persians had shitloads of arrows, whereas the Romans were counting on them running out of arrows after ~15 minutes.

>Crassus was Roman Donald Trump
>Implying Caesar wasn't Roman Donald Trump

Scouts would have been the only real option once bypassing Armenia. That said, Crassus probably would have continued anyways.

get up on a hill, ANY hill, and do his square formation thing there, maybe dig in some fortifications and wait for nightfall before sending someone to ask for help.

>implying Caesar wasn't Roman Donald Trump
No, he wasn't.

Maybe not March tens of thousands of infantry into the desert against an empire famous for their cavalry.