Can someone tell me more about Thai history and where to start...

Can someone tell me more about Thai history and where to start? I'm very interested in their people and culture before and after it was influenced by neighboring powers.
Also Thai are a cute.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai–Kadai_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Tai_languages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_peoples#Genetic_studies
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgLtdgYDpAo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I mean if you want to go super far back, there's some interesting evidence that Thai's are just Austronesians that got CHANGED so hard as they migrated up the river valleys, that they lost most relations to their austronesian ancestors

cool. Sauce?
How was their society like?
I'm also interested in both their Chinese and Indian influence that caused them to create such a blended culture.

Im no expert so the only thing I know is from random wikipedia postings

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai–Kadai_languages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Tai_languages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_peoples#Genetic_studies

Thais mostly picked up their Indianized influences from the people they conquered after the migration into SEAsia, Khmers and Bamars. Funan and Khmer was the original OG Indianized kingdoms, with the Pyu city states and Mons taking the place of Greeks, setting up the basis of these Indianized kingdoms

Can somebody tell me more about deez bitches.

Thais and Lao people as we know it comes from Dai ethnic migrant from south china who mixed with preexisting local Austroasian population in indochina, a close ethnic related to them, the Zhuang people still lives in Guangxi province where their ethnic originated

Notably known as the powerhouse of south east Asia in their peak, replacing the Khmers and the only country that aren't colonised in the region

Why are Thai so based?

How was their government?

I've been interested in the subject of organized crime and armed conflict in the Golden Triangle.

>implying their based
Thais were just ancient rapefugees emulating the cultural practices of the people they conquered

Bamar>Thai

Fun fact: the vietnamese has been in Indochina longer than the Thai has
Outside of western stereotype, they're extremely conservative and mannered, though perhaps in different way which's why they don't mind ladyboy, etc.
Their government is a mess right now, the current king is an idiot, the country is effectively ruled by military Junta, but their economy is good, and they're cleaner people than their richer neighbour like Malaysia
Better than being a shitskin

Most Thais who are actually ethnically Thais are shitskins, like their ancestors the Zhuang in China. The lightskinned Thai's are just nationalized ethnic Chinese that lost their culture during Nationalization

>Their government is a mess right now, the current king is an idiot
huh? I meant historically. This is a Veeky Forums board you /pol/fag, not a modern politics board.
get out

>The lightskinned Thai's are just nationalized ethnic Chinese that lost their culture during Nationalization

>He doesn't know the Mons have lighter skin

fuck off dumbass

I don't know much about Thailand apart from their food. Their food is very influenced by Chinese cuisine. They use woks to cook a lot of their food, they have soy sauce and tofu, and eat certain noodles with chopsticks.

I love how you learned so much just by eating their food.

That's just an Asian thing man

I just looked it up and you're right. Apparently there's millions of Chinese in Thailand and they started selling street food and they had a huge impact on Thai cuisine.

They were Chinese things. There's also many Indian influences on Thai food.

I like their paintings and architecture, it really is a unique Chinese-Indian hybrid culture

Yeah. That's what I learned about Thailand through their food. There's definitely Indian and Chinese cultural impact on that place.

Define "Asian thing". I'm Persian and I don't eat tofu or use chopsticks.

Because the Chakri dynasty is based af.

>Played the English and French off of each other so that they wouldn't be colonized

>Worked out a deal with the Japanese in WW2 so that they wouldn't be invaded

>Sided with the capitalists during the Cold War

All decisions of the Ramas.

Hello what do you want to know.

I don't think we're based as of 2017. It really is time for a new form of government.

>"The Chakri are of Thai, Mon, Chinese, and Khmer ancestry"

So they are mutts?

What do you think about the new king?
What do you think about and how close are you to your neighbour historically?
Can you post pic on general Thai costume, building, art etc?

If I say what I really think and someone cared enough to gather the evidence and report, I may or may not get arrested depending on the whim of you know who. That's the answer, for real.

I don't hate them. But general public hate immigrants, workers, everyone from country bordering us. Vietnam seems to do OK. Chinese, Japanese, Korean are treated much better. White got treated like superstars like in most Asian countries unless you are really retarded.
Anyway, Laos are the closest unless you date them back to when they were Lan Xang. I can understand everything they say without trying, and learning alphabet take like 2 days. Food are pretty much the same shit and fitting in take 15 minutes.

Google got it right, This is how we looks. Like skinned East Asians mix with brown Malay, Austroasiatics, Khmuic and all that.

Thailand was never invaded by white people.

Did they fear the great Thai warrior?

Most Thai people are

>A mix of Indian, Chinese, and southeast Asian influences
No wonder Thai food is so great.

So? No one cares about that and so are Chinese technically. Seriously
you belong there.

I want to know about the history....you know kingdoms pre and post Chinese /Indian influence. The culture, the people. Did they have feudalism for most of their history or just centralized government? How was their military? To what extent did they adopt the Indian cast system? B.C.E to CE 20th century.

>be Veeky Forums board
>Everyone wants to know about modern politics and culture of a country
Fuck this board. I'm getting really tired of everyone it.can we just name this less /pol/itically incorrect already?

Finally some respect for Thailand.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgLtdgYDpAo

These are woman wearing traditional Thai dress that would have been worn by noble women.
The ones in OP happen to be from the northern region.
And yes, I really love the unique blend that is Thai fashion.

The French and British just wanted a buffer zone between their respective empires, either could have probably conquered Thailand without much resistance and the French actually did take a couple of provinces and added them to Cambodia.

Can you stop enabling this meme thought process user? There are many factors that can influence whether or not one country tries to conquer and is able to conquer another besides their military. Climate differences, disease, fauna, terrain.
SEA is very humid and hot, rains like crazy, has dense jungles in some parts, and is nearly as ridden with mosquitos as Africa. That could influence a lot especially when were talking about pasty skin Europeans with more light sensitive eyes(light eyes colors are more sensitive to the sun).
If you don't have a good plan and extensive knowledge of the people and area, you can be in for some hard times.

Didn't stop the French from taking the whole eastern half though.

Didn't say it was impossible. I was mainly pointing out what it was difficult and more importantly, why they didn't bother to take the whole thing. What's the point of putting themselves through more hardship?
I'm more upset with you actually responding to that obvious bait with nothing but contempt for such simplistic thinking.

Bump for more information about Thai monarchy and nobility during their beginning as a kingdom.

Oh come on! I know there are plenty of SEAsian history fags and posters on this board.

I'm /int/ but stronger

>one chance at life
>born as shitskin Thai
feels bad man.

Fuck off to /pol/ or /int/ or whatever containment board you crawled out of.

Thais are THE shit anyway. Love their look, especially the women.
now can some real Veeky Forumstorians start posting ITT already?

Great Game East is a good book related to this subject. More about the western border than simply the triangle but fascinating stuff about all the armies in the hills.

>especially the women
>women
lel no

Bangkok is a shithole