What niche of history are you obsessed with?

What niche of history are you obsessed with?

>statistical ethnography of pre-20th century europe
>ottoman cuisine
>islam in the early united states

Now that you mention it I am interested in that last topic, what shape did it take? were they violent?

Not sure if it's really that niche, but Basque history in particular has always been my area of interest.

Tell me a bit about Ottoman cuisine. It actually sounds pretty interesting and I wouldn't mind learning more about it.

Like, the practice of Islam among black slaves?

I enjoy reading censuses of various countries. Like the 1897 Russian Empire, for example.

Late XIXth/Early 20th century Mitteleuropa.

Religion in Central Asia

Maybe it's not really that niche.

Macedonian spears

Just go to a Greek restaurant, ask for the authentic Greek meals and coffee and there you have it.

Indian wars and their impact on the US Army

I am interested in information dating to before the deluge as in the high tech aspect of it leading to directly after the the deluge as to where did the survivors go? I am also interested in type o negative blood lineage.

The Great Game. Everything about it is fucking amazing. Spies and diplomats on the roof of the world, looking out upon barren Central Asian wastelands. Strategists at home devising the best and most efficient way to either conquer or defend India. Tense moments that could have easily collapsed to a war between Britain and Russia had it not been for a few key actors. Pundits being trained by the British to go in places too dangerous for any European to step foot in. All of it is interesting, and there are only a few dull moments in it. When the fighting and tensions were seemingly done in one area, the game would simply move to a new one.

Not to mention that many of the events in the Great Game could be used for today's leaders. 2 times(One Russian and One British) embassies were raided by angry locals in Afghanistan due to foreign meddling. That kind of news strikes me as something that I could have easily read within the past 20 years and yet it happened more than 150 years ago.

I've never thought about this and now I'm extremely curious.

Persian architecture

While not extremely niche I always find the era just after the fall of Rome and just before the rise of the Carolingians very interesting. Still many peoples migrating around, schisms and conflicts within Christianity, and lots of interesting characters.
>Rise of the Frankish empire
>Rise of Islam
>Slavic migrations
>Roman-Sassanid wars
>Ostrogoths being defeated by the Eastern Roman Empire and the eventual migration of the Lombards into Italy
>Anglo-Saxon conquest of England
>Vandals and their eventual defeat by Belisarius
>Rise and fall of the Avars
>Turkish migrations and the replacement and assimilation of Iranian peoples in central asia
>Great generals like Belisarius and Khalid ibn al-Walid

>hears islam
>even on a history board he has to try to warp every damn topic to fit his modern ideology

kill yourself

Not sure if that niche, but maritime commerce and naval warfare in antiquity.

It looks like you just answered his question, Muhammad

That's a lot of niches.

>were they violent?
>kill yourself

Case closed

>You said kill yourself on Veeky Forums hahah that's too much violence

Looks like I was right, white boys really are a bunch of pussies. Muslims have been killing my people for hundreds of years and I'm not that big of a faggot

>dental hygiene in the late medieval times
>religions of african tribes and how they compare
>developments of monetary systems in the early middle ages
>shamans and early paleolithic religions view and thoughts on nature

Leave by board you bunch of brainlets

City planning in centralized states, especially public projects and how different areas melded together.

Sadly, I know fuck all about it.

>>religions of african tribes and how they compare
Their pretty near consistent across the board imo. Read Robert H.Nassau's "Fetichism in West Africa." It's on gutenberg, I highly recommend it.

*They're
Also loom for the writings of Mary Henrietta Kingsley. She also wrote about religion and Worship in West Africa. I have something somewhere about the South, but nothing on the East.

Ah thank you for the recommendation, will look that up!

>cold war 1970's
Very aesthetic

Is it possible to get this in physical copy, the one published in 1904 still?

Make me, baby

Doubt it. I've mostly come across the reprints. Also look into a book titled ,"The Religious system of the Amazulu." This can be found online or as a reprint. Some older form may be available via England.

If they've been killing your people and you don't them then you're just a cuck.

Gallo-Roman societies in Southern France during the Early Middle Ages
Culture of the Taisho period and the sister movements in Europe etc
Pre-Imperial Chinese mores

hmmm that is a shame, but thanks for the other recommendation, will check that out aswell.

Romans....

Completely legitimate question you sperg

Daily life of romans and their cuisine
Roman von Ungern-Sternberg
I am also obssesed about finding shitty things great leaders did.

>gyros and other filthy shit

He should look at turkish cuisine.

What is the best resource for learning about Ottoman cuisine?

Glad to see you're still around

>Shape and material of footwraps in Tatar usage and during the early Muscovite reign (not army; that would come with Peter the not-so-Great)
>Deep seated culture of homosexuality and pederast in Arab culture before the Muhammadan cult and it's amblificiation after it

Development of firearms during the 19th and early 20th century. Bolt action rifles are my fetish.

I like looking up military battles in major wars that were mostly insignificant and forgotten. If that makes any sense.
For a quick example, US-Japanese skirmishes before Pearl Harbor.

What's with poltards and cucking? Do you have a fetish?

Development of nuclear warfare, Mesopotamic civilizations, Golden Age of Piracy. Then anything related to Europe from XVIIth century onwards.

ancient SEA history. interested in Thailand right now

Have you read this?

>The conquest of America

the great game and russo japanese war

This sounds neat. Any books you can recommend on the topic?

The nuts and bolts of command economies.

The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk is the eminent book on the subject and if you had to choose only one I'd tell you to read it. I would also suggest Tournament of Shadows by Karl Meyer and Sharon Brysac. It goes over many of the same things, as the Great Game though it also goes a bit more into the future. I think Hopkirk's book is a bit better due to how it deals with the origins and motives behind the Game. His writing style is also more interesting (though he can be a bit biased towards the British sometimes).

I'll admit that Veeky Forums can be annoying at times, but man that thread was a lot of fun to do. It was a great way to relax at night. Seeing people like it so much was cool as well. I do wish other people would do stuff like it though, it would be interesting to see something like that from a viewers perspective. Anyway, thanks for remembering it user. I'm rather surprised that you did considering that it's almost been a year.

*my

Byzantine empire during the Komnenian Dynasty, Ghorid invasion of India.

Interwar period in Europe, especially in Eastern Europe.

It's a legit question, it would be interesting to see if Islam was as violent as Christianity during the early days of the US.

With reasoning like this it amazes me how you people even possess the intelligence to turn the computer on.

East Asian force postures during the Cold War
Dreadnought-era naval doctrine

Ancient Near-Eastern fashion.

did they really frizzle their beards like that or was it only an artistic convention

Pretty sure that's how they actually looked.

20th century and contemporary Native American history, particularly urban life. People act as if Indians ceased to exist after 1890.

You are now aware that the last instance of armed native resistance was at Wounded Knee... in 1973.

People in East Africa style their hair like that too.
Not their beards but I don't see why it would have been impossible.

What, not the Oka standoff in 1990?

African secret societies - could be said to have and continue to shape the continent's history far more than colonialism and its after-effects.
German aristocracy in Russia.
Kaifeng Jews.
Crimean Goths.

>history of mormons
>lives of obscure presidents (Polk, Taylor, Arthur, etc.)
>pre-1900 photography

>Life of peasants across all pre enlightment history, specially regarding moral anachronisms, communication, dependence on religion and folk myth and music.
>Classical (pre-islam) West Africa - The aesthetics and religions are particularly interesting
>Sengoku period Japan - Dumping 400 hours into sengoku musou will make it an adquired taste, also shintoism
>Heian Japan - GOAT art
>Pre Christian Europe - muh forest, muh gods, muh oaths
>World War I - I have no real way to explains it, something about it feels incredibly nostalgic.
>The evolution from hunting gathering groups to tribal societies

Any good books on Kaifeng Jews or Crimean goths?

military history, stormaktstid, WWII, cold war

Sorry, user. You are correct. Yank that I am, my focus is on Indians within US borders, but traditionally, such borders have meant little to the Indians.

I read an excellent biography on President Buchanan. Fucker gets a bad rap.

>Life of peasants across all pre enlightment history, specially regarding moral anachronisms, communication, dependence on religion and folk myth and music.
>Pre Christian Europe - muh forest, muh gods, muh oaths
I read that old Roman paganism was still being practiced in Charlemagne's day. That true?

I loved that one. I kept the tab to that thread open for a couple of days, reading through bit by bit. Thank you

super interdasting topics t b q h

>Frontiersmen in the 1800s-1820s
>Whatever we know about the Guanche People
>Early Indo-European Migration to Northern Europe

Outside of the Frontiersmen, the other two fascinate because of what little we know about it

high quality posts like yours make Veeky Forums so interesting. My mind has been stimulated here.

>tfw you were just literally randomly thinking today that frontiersmen of this period were the most interetsting just this very morning.

great minds think alike Anoninski

Reading newspapers from interesting historical periods, issue to issue, linearly through time.

Almost as if a massive part of their ideology stems from sexual insecurity.

Fabric and textile during the 19th and 20th centuries

I wonder what happened to that armor.

Prepare for autism
>Ancient Roman cuisine
>Ancient Roman jokes
>Ancient Roman fap material
>Greek Ambrosia
>Central and northern Asian ethnography and religion
>Super ancient Asian shamanism (North, southeast, east,)
>Pillum
>Iron age Finland.
>Ice age rituals
>Pre Islamic Arabia.
>Indo european religions
>Late 1800s anarchism and German communists spreading to America.
>The aristocratic and detached abstract German philosophers of the late 1800s.
>The foundations of post modernism
>Early German Marxism
>America's perception of nihilist
>Pre civil war USA
>Thomas Jefferson
>Early post Roman intact temples, shrines, pagan statues, emperors statues etc. What the fuck did these early Catholics and Italian peoples think of these things?
>Early post Roman Latin peoples.
>The last breaths of the greco Roman pagans.
>Justifications for Christians not torching the entirety of their non Christian ancestors writings, philosophy etc.
If I don't stop now I'll be here all night.

>roman empire
>Vietnam War

Firearms development from the mid 19th century to the mid 20th century.

>ottoman cuisine
that's pretty niche user

These are the sorts of things you start imagining while reading these articles. So many unsolved mysteries. So much fascinating stuff it out there waiting for someone to investigate.

>What niche of history are you obsessed with?

How based on fact is the pied piper tale. The oldest written account just says "It is 100 years since our children left", that shit is creepy af.

world wars
napoleonic era

>mountain jews
>chinese cuisine (especially the impact of tea)
>traditional african religions
>irish literature

>Sino-Roman relations

I like tea too but my main interest is tofu.

That's a pretty niche interest.

the Second Sino-Jap war

shouldn't be niche but it is

WW2 isn't niche at all bud

the mainland asian theater is, at least in the west.

of course the west don't give a shit, it barely affected them.

in asia its a big deal and hardly niche at all.

inb4 some chink tries to imply china actually helped defeat imperial japan

so if I tell you I'm interested in medieval Cambodia you'd tell me it's not niche at all because Cambodians care a lot about their history, apparently.

Both of those ethnic groups interest me, as well. They seemed to be quite out of place, far-flung from their original homelands, or otherwise displaced from the main branches of the Goths heading south and west, or even those that remained in Scandinavia or Poland. The Keifeng Jews today seem to be mostly indistinguishable from the mainstream Han Chinese ethnicity, interestingly, not unlike how Ethiopian Jews acquired traits of the regional natives as well, through intermarriage. I am unable to recommend any books, at the moment, as I am not aware of texts about the matter.

Seconding for the Kaifeng Jews.

I like reading up about the various Jewish communities too.

I don't know if it's the same period but I found the creation of national banks and insurance industries in the 17th cenntury to be a really interesting topic.