Zen Japanese architecture

Can someone explain to me how Japs traditionally slept on the equivalent of sleeping bags/flat mattresses(if rich) with nothing but tatami mats as a base on plywood flooring for most of their existence?
I have slept on hardwood floor with a pillow and two comforters as a base before(when I crashed at a friend's place) and it was the most uncomfortable sleep I had ever experienced. I woke up with aches.
How the fuck did they not have some serious back/joint aches? I don't know how soft tatami mats are but they don't seem as soft as wall-to-wall carpeting to me. Sleeping on the floor without a bed frame/box spring is ass.

because your body gets used to the hard floor

Seriously first night I slept on the floor was hell achy as hell and shit but after a week you'll sleep fine and wake up with no aches

you are just too used to a soft bed

japanese mastered the art of massage for a reason

softie softie, doesnt understand that your body gets used to it. What are we, retarded and 4. Use your brain for a sec dum dum

Ehh I go camping for a week and it just gets worse and worse. Maybe I'll try doing it for longer to adapt but I am skeptical.

Poor guy here, I sleep on the floor, and it honestly isn't bad once you get used to it.

Also forgot to mention that a lot of muscle/joint aches come from having underdeveloped muscles in places relative to how you sleep.

I actually enjoy it, it straighten your body posture if you do it long enough

It must have blew their minds when they were finally introduced to Chinese/ European style furniture en mass huh?
Why did they never adopt Chinese style btw? China also has normal chairs and bed frames that were more off the ground.
kek. I guess so.

You save a lot of space when all your furniture is the floor

True, Japs did always have tiny houses.

chinese national here.

We actually use this thing called a 竹席, meaning literally bamboo sheet, in summertimes when sleeping in a bed is just too hot and humid without AC. Most chinese people still can't afford/is too stingy to use their AC in summer, so we use the bamboo sheets and sleep on the ground as an alternative.

The charpoy bed is used the same. I want to make one for myself.

It's comfortable if you know how to position yourself. You are trying to sleep on the ground the same way you sleep on a bed. Do you run the same way you swim? If so, you are bound to get friction burns.

i slept on my back straight and it still sucked.
But yeah, whatever, I guess I'm not used to it. Soft high rise beds are the life for me.

Is the bamboo mat even soft?
I would prefer te Charpoy since it is higher off from the ground. Idk, just being flat on the ground makes everything worse.

Because you're sleeping wrong. I prefer to sleep on the ground, because I am too tall for most beds. My feet hang off. Beds are also terribly hot, but I assume you're stuck with cheap carpet anyway so 'cool ground' is nonexistent already.

Yeah it can get cold on the ground which is why it's believed elevated beds were first created to deal with cold drafts. The Japanese sleep with comforters though.

I am not a lanklet, so I can sleep on beds normally. I also live in a temperate zone so beds are best most of the year. I actually don't have carpeting in my house.
During summer I sleep in my underwear with a thin/no cover.
Or I can just keep the A/C if it is really hot.
I don't see why temperature should make me sacrifice physical comfort.

Not just temperature, physical comfort! It's very much more comfortable even after you get used to sleeping on the floor.

It's apparently best to sleep on a flat hard surface. It's allows your spine to settle straight.

sauce? I think you mean flat "firm"(not necessarily hard) mattress.
And that is mostly for infants anyway to prevent SIDS. The "flat" part particularly.

Why do you think tatami are hard or stiff? They're actually more comfortable than spring mattresses. A bound stack of them the height of a typical mattress would be very comfortable. They are 'firm'.

Kot knows comfy.