Childhood is liking the Great Pyramids, adulthood is realizing Angkor Wat makes more sense

childhood is liking the Great Pyramids, adulthood is realizing Angkor Wat makes more sense

I was actually just reading up on Angkor and the Khmer. Some Chinese ambassador named Zhou Daguan wrote a pretty detailed record of Khmer society and it was basically the most degenerate shit you can imagine.
>slavery on a mass scale
>girls getting married as early as 7 to 11 and looking 20 years older than their biological age
>incredibly expensive and decadent monarchy despite Buddhism being adopted a few centuries before

Sukhothai did nothing wrong

>"The women age very quickly, no doubt because they marry and give birth when too young. When they are twenty or thirty years old, they look like Chinese women who are forty or fifty."

Gross

south east Asian architecture is best architecture

What kind of SJW thinks any of that is degenerate?

Could use a good power wash.

Degenerate is a buzzword for "things I don't like". A better term would be morally reprehensible.

It's obviously been a case like often of other civilizations that their demise was well deserved. Nothing of value lost here.

Anyways, there are plenty of rock cut temples all over India particularly in the South. The Kailasa temple looks like a similar and more impressive feat to the stone cut Church of St. George in Lalibela, Ethiopia. The East African coast was an area of known interaction with Indian culture through the spice trade. Sudan's Angareb bed and Kenya's Swahili bed are similar to the South Asian charpoy though the people there today swear by their native origin.

Bantey Srey is better preserved today in terms of the detail of the stone carvings we can see. I've even been to temples from the Chenla period which predates Angkor. Just yesterday, UNESCO made Prasat Prei Kuk, the capital of Chenla, a heritage site.

its very interesting thats for sure

id appreciate it if somebody could dump a bunch of pretty pictures desu

Wat

you know chauvinistic accounts of the degeneracy/barbarism in foreign countries is basically a literary genre right

Meh, I only like Mesoamerican Pyramids. At least they had some use for it than some glorified cemetery.

Angkor what?

looks comfy

shabam!

Adulthood is realizing there's a lot of maginficent buildings around the world.

can't tell if you're being serious lol

*magnificent

>a castle made of mud
Yeah mate so magnificent

Adulthood is realizing Nuraghi make more sense

philistine

That's nice though

One day I'll visit these Mesoamerican pyramids, fascinating me since I was a little child...

Is that really what Timbuktu looked like at its peak? Because that's massively unimpressive compared to the rest of the thread. Literally just plain mud walls with planks of (wood?) poking out. Where is the detail work?

apparantly a lot disappeared due to the city being literally made out of mud and sand

personally I still think it's beautiful

another painting

it is kind of impressive, tho

Do you know any particularly good reading in the genre?

>that image
Holy shit. It's hard to comprehend that the Romans, Persians, Chinese and Indians made stuff like that millennia ago.
It's a master piece even by today's standards.

It's really not, you're just being nice because the blacks made it

Das rite

No seriously, of course I know it's not as sophisticated as say the Dome in Cologne, but I still think it looks nice and is a cultural heritage of great value.

best building coming through

>blocks your path

Nice temple, but "only" 800 years old tho.
Pyramids are 4600 years old.

That's a joke right?

Look at the placement of those beams

Childhood is liking primitive ancient monuments, adulthood is realizing that postmodernism is a superior form of architecture

everything about that building is disgusting, how the fuck did he manage that

bullshit
also beautiful, but Gothic architecture is superior imo, also the best oriental buildings are more eastern, look at Samarqand for example.

>not even postmodernism

fucking pleb, now THIS is postmodernism

silly autist your autism is showing

not even joking to be quite honest Le Corbusier is the finest architect the world ever had, and the only true successor to the Ancients in terms of monumental style if I'm to be quite honest with you

Not as good as Art Deco

pretty nice actually but could be better

That's not postmodernism...

No, that's disgusting.