How much do Americans know about the Roman Empire?

How much do Americans know about the Roman Empire?

Gladiator(2000)

Anything else?

More recently and youth: absolutely nothing. Many will not even know what Rome is aside from the city itself

About as much as they know about anything historical i.e. whatever bullshit Hollywood has done recently.

Well enough to become the Roman Empire of our times

Not quite.

The average American learns nothing about Rome

Every history class has to affirmative action the rest of the world's history as well as women's history into everything. They sparsely teach Rome beyond "big empire that Jesus lived under"

t. American ex high school Latin and Greek student

They don't teach it too much in the UK, although we learn quite a bit about them because there are ruins left by them all over the place. The city I live in was sorta founded by Romans.

Nothing outside film.

I'm a huge Romaboo. I can't get enough of those faggots.

Wut? I don't know what backwards school you went to but I can give you a rundown of every single history class I took from Middle School to graduation
>Ancient Times, Greece does some shit
>Alexander overthrows the Persians
>Then we talk about Egypt
>China and India get a single day of info
>ROME for three days
>Dark Ages
>Renaissance and art
>Holy Roman Empire gets a single day
>Reformation gets two days
>American colonization
>The Colonies!
>People get angry over taxes and overthrow that shit AND LITERALLY NOTHING BAD HAPPENED DURING THE WAR IT WAS ALL HONOR AND PRESTIGE, HAIL THE FOUNDING FATHERS THEY ARE PERFECT
>A few days of talking about American expansion to the West Coast and maybe a day on American-Native relations
>Civil War takes quite a few days
>Then we get a day about Reconstruction and a day for all of American history to World War I
>A few days about European colonization
>Japan usually gets a day or two right about now, usually coupled with the China as well
>World War I and then a cutaway to the 20s and prohibition
>DEPRESSION
>Stuff about Hitler and the 30s now
>Russia gets talked about at the same time, usually just saying there were some 5-year plans
>WORLD WAR II, 'MERICA STRONK!
Then we get a few days at best to try and do some more modern history, usually talks about hippies, JFK, Cuba, Nixon, Reagan and maybe a day to talk about 9/11 and the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, usually nothing more.

AP US History and AP World History are almost as bad sadly...

My school pretty much skimmed the Punic wars as "Armies beat navies LOLOL" then barbarians swarmed Rome. Luckily I was reading on my own about Rome since elementary school. But if you are relying on school for history like most kids do, you'll know jack shit.

Did anybody else get in trouble in the elementary/middle school reading classes for only doing reports on non-fiction?

Enough with these threads.
The average person is a normalfag, and does not go out of his/her way to learn something he/she deems uninteresting or useless.
We on the other hand, are fascinated by the stories of these people so we learn about history.
Stop asking "how much does 'nationality' know about 'topic'" because the answer is same whatever the topic.

Me. In fourth grade I did a book report on one of those "Eyewitness History" books on dinosaurs (I wanted to be a paleontologist, a word even my teachers could not pronounce and which aggravated one teacher that I found out later is a young earth believer).

I never paid much attention to it in school, and up until this year I was probably a good example of the average American who isn't completely retarded. I specifically didn't know:
>Whether Rome was republic or empire or both
>Who exactly Julius Caesar was (I thought he was the same as Augustus)
>Any of the major wars, or even the Pagan sackings of Rome
>How Constantinople came to be and why it outlasted the western empire

I basically had a very vague image of gladiators and Vikings all mixed together.

Same

Wrong.

Three days for Rome? Hundreds of years and mayor influence on the rest of history in three days?
I had like half a year about it at least, but then again im from central Europe.

Keep in mind by days the user is likely speaking in terms of hour at worst to three hour classes at best.

If you spend anymore time, then how do you spend weeks on the American revolution, Civil war, and all the other events that only impacted the US (the center of history). I had one teacher spend half the year on the American revolution in my wars and revolutions class, it was awful. And wouldn't stop saying mmkay. I didn't think Mr. Mackey was actually based off of something.

Wrong. If you are interested in it, you can study it thoroughly here just like anywhere else. Your average pleb won't know too much about it, but that goes for anywhere.

Ya but the thread is asking how much a typical America probably knows.

most people wouldn't know that Rome existed as a kingdom, a republic and an empire

I'm a youngfag (18) and took world history as a freshman in AZ, and we had literally one lesson on Greece, Rome, and Egypt. And that's total, not one for each civ.

>Greeks
Philosophy and shit
>Rome
Empire and shit
>Egypt
Pyramids and shit

How is it Rome?

Not even, sadly. We did a compare/contrast worksheet of the early major civilizations. It was Rome vs Greece vs Egypt vs Aksum (ooga booga gib diversity). We spent more time watching a documentary version of Guns, Germs, and Steel than ancient civilizations. We also spent more time on pre-agriculture than ancient civilizations. It's kind of pathetic desu

What's that?

You must have all had garbage educations. I went to public schools and learned about Rome in two different classes in middle and then high school. What did they actually teach in your history classes?

American history pretty much

Honestly Aksum? Jesus Christ that's retarded.

Yeah, that's what happens when your honors world history teacher is a female Polish (Jewish?) SJW. Thankfully, she left to teach in China, but not before she got the school to add (((AP Human Geography))) as a class

The American "spirit" is quite similar to Roman patriotism as they described it. Also the founding fathers based a lot of the American government on the government of Rome.

Poor soul

>Republican democracy
>Delegates represent peoples wants and needs
>Hegemony among "allies" to be the leading power globally
>System of laws is based both off of Roman judicial and legislative systems as well as English common law which descends from that to begin with
>Distrust and hatred of kings and monarchies
There are lots of blatant as well as subtle parallels between Rome and America.

MY HISTORY TEACHER WAS BASED. HE BROUGHT A MINIÉ BALL DURING THE CIVIL WAR LESSON. HE ALSO GAVE A LESSON ONE DAY ON THE HISTORY OF POPULAR MUSIC FROM THE 1920s TO THE MODERN DAY. MR. BROWN, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, GOD BLESS YOU.

RETURN TO WHENCE YOU CAME, /POL/ACK.

YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE.

I MEANT , NOT .

I APOLOGIZE.

i had to go out and learn about the beauty that is the greatest testomony to mankind on my own since school only taught me that they stole the greek gods and jesus came to visit once...that was a mistake...

>implying most of the people here don't go to /pol/
Also
>attention whoring this hard
Wew lad

If they went to hs absolutely nothing. I learned more about world pre dark ages civs in art history. And who the fuck would take that in college as an elective but me?

It's not weird for a country to focus on their own history in their school courses. My country(Italy) has perhaps the most extensive high school history courses in the western world, still, they focuses mainly on Italy itself and Western Europe. Not a single word about America, Eastern Europe or East Asia prior to WWI as far as I can recall.

Most Americans are aware of the existence of the Roman Republic and Empire, but especially through one of four sources; the New Testament of the Holy Bible, the 2000 film Gladiator, the HBO series Rome, and some school education on Roman civilization, if remembered. I find that a lot of people are very fixated on one limited time period of Roman soldiers' armor, though; the 1st and 2nd centuries AD and the lorica segmentata. Hollywood acts like that's the only armor the Romans mostly wore, besides officers' muscled breastplates, and the occasional chain mail armor. I've yet to see a film depiction of lorica plumata or lorica squamata, feathered and scaled armor mostly worn by officers, but at times, also regular troops. The later periods of Roman history are also still largely unknown in any meaningful substance, chalked up in short summary as the period when the Roman civilization fell. Perhaps more people now know about the Eastern Romans, the Byzantines, than they used to, though, due to strategy video games.

The average american thinks about large red armies and Italy when hearing about Rome. Back when I was a kid I confused the HRE with the Roman Empire.

This. However, in my independent study on the subject I've found myself intrigued by the early Republic but thoroughly captivated by everything from the rise of Caesar to Hadrian. I think it's just a more accessible and easily digestible entry into the Roman history.

Let's be honest, European don't know much either even if they're taught more about it.

America and its vassals are the most rich and powerful empire that has ever existed ever.

How is it Rome? (x2)

well, you are not entirely wrong since the HREs original "goal" was to appear as legal successor of it or at least that was the fairytale behind their actions till the Pope blown the Emperor out

>Rome for 3 days

Wow, thank a for proving him right, thats below elementary school tier here in Europe