Venitian Hate

Why do we hate these guys again?

Only buttblasted byzzieboos desu, venice was based

Sea-jewry, and they sacked Constantinople, completely crippling the only power holding back the Muslim hordes.

I don't want to defend the 13th-century Byzantines because they were super corrupt, but Venice sacking Constantinople and weakening them is what allowed the Ottomans to finally break into Europe proper.

Even after the Greeks took the city back, it never fully recovered.

/we/ don't.
western europe and its descendants owe a lot to them.

The republic of Venice is one of the most fascinating states in the history of Europe

they were really overpowered in total war medieval

Still not as bad as Milan

cockroach crossbows were a pain in the ass

You mean the only power losing land to the Muslim nations? The Iberian Christians were doing just fine during their long reconquista, and even the tiny, surrounded, undersupplied and undersupported crusader states managed to survive for a while. The Middke Greek Kingdom though, with allll its land and wealth, kept just being fucked. Its end was a mercy, admit it, and the Ottoman Empire was one of the best European powers until the 1700s.

>founded the greatest empire of all time

If anything we should praise them

Because they didn`t suck off Skenderbeu even more then they did after noticing they got a common enemy.

>Venice sacking Constantinople and weakening them is what allowed the Ottomans to finally break into Europe proper
This is sheer scapegoating.

I like them, i made my most aesthetic empire in EUIV with them
also i conquered whole world with them in Medieval II
Yeah, i base my opinion about historical countries on videogames

Wasn't it a crusade anyway?

Cause fall of Byzantium TWICE

No. The fourth crusade was about taking Alexandria, which it didn't (they never even arrived, and most crusaders that didn't follow Boniface to Constantinople just took service with the crusader kingdoms rather than move onto Egypt).
The crusader army however, was hired by Alexios IV Angelos to take back his throne from the usurper Alexios V Doukas.
Venice was pretty much incidental to whole situation. Alexios IV dealt with the crusaders directly, not through Venice. In fact it was Boniface who had to sell the idea to the venetians, in lieu of payment for fleet transport services.

And to put things into perspective, Venice devoted the entirety of its economy to preparing the crusade fleet, which was also the largest fleet fielded in the Mediterranean since Antiquity. Venice was doing everything it could to get repaid and keep the crusade going so that they wouldn't be fucked hard.

This.

Venetians are traitors. Fuck Venice and fuck Olives!

what i always wonder is would the army actually have taken alexandria if it got there?

Very unlikely.
It would have been hard, but maybe possible (considering the state of unrest and dynastic shitflinging of the Ayyubids at the time) for the full expected contingent of 35k crusaders and commensurate venetian fleet (expected 50 galley and 450 transports for a total of 20k to 30k sailors), but the actual numbers were much piddlier than that (less than 12k crusaders, so most of the fleet actually disbanded, not being needed, meaning a lot less venetians too) and there's no way so small an army could have successfully invaded one of the main cities of the Ayyubid sultanate regardless of civil wars.

interesting, thanks for the answer