Why did Sardinians build thousands of these useless towers

It's been established most of them couldn't be used as forts so what the fuck was their purpose?

Other urls found in this thread:

schools1.cic.ames.cam.ac.uk/pdfs/Food at Pompeii - Wheat.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ceremonial

Small island, nothing to do except shag sheep and do autistic stuff before the Romans made them do something useful.

I doubt it

You think it was some Easter island-level autism?

They'd have small scale sieges using the towers, almost like castles.

The problem isn't the size, some were very big with dozens of towers and different layers of wal like pic relatedl, but others were just singular towers like

What were those skirmish like?

>tfw in the middle of nowhere, in a mostly unhabitated island, in a shitty little fort
>tfw 3 angry men screaming autistically while throwing spears at me
>tfw this surreal scenario is where lots of people died in Sardinia

"Look at me, I have a big tower and also a big dick"

Sardinia had 300,000 people living in it which was a lot for the time, also there were some very huge nuraghi which could have functioned as forts but most of them couldn't have

Another

That would mean there was very little population growth in 3000 years. Something wrong with Sardine sperm?

I must also add that they appeared much bigger in the past considering many of them were partially destroyed to build houses, roads, bridged, etc

Pic related has an outer walls with 12 towers, + an additional bastion inside still unexcavated with probably 5/6 more towers

More likely just that the island can't support a higher population, so people either die or leave.

Malaria was brought in the island around the final bronze age/ early iron age because of contacts with Cypriot and Phoenicians, since the most populated areas of the islands are near huge lagoons such as those near Cagliari and Oristano the population couldn't grow much because of how quickly malaria spread, that's why Romans often commented on how diseased and unsafe the island and its climate were.

>impyling Sardinia was populated pre-Renaissance

how did this arid rocky island support 300000 people

Here we go again with this

agriculture+fishing

How did people even boat there lmao.

Basically oh no, the other village/town is coming
>Run and hide in stone tower, shoot arrows and throw spears until they leave, if not they take you're shit

They've Found The earliest thraces of melon cultivation in The wester Med and The earliest thraces of vinification west of Greece too, in fact Sardinian Wine was popular as far ad Iberia, Crete and Etruria around 900-750 BC

They also had slingers and boomerangs

The only useless person you are. Those nuragic towers had the same functions of the castles in the middle ages and were perfectly useful as fortifications, city walls and Sight towers.

small island?!?!??!? Sardinia is the 48th largest island in the world, the second in the mediterranean, and one of the first ten in Europe.

>What is relativity

Arid rocky island???? really??? do you realize that Sardinia is located at the same latitude of New York and it was known as the roman granary due to its fertile lands and it's today the italian region richest of woods and forests?

>how many towers should we have, guys?
>what if ... what if EVERYTHING WAS A TOWER

I don't understand what do you find funny, apart your ignorance.

Nuragics were great navigators and they reproduced their ships as bronze statuettes too, so it's possible see their engineering level still today.

>the roman granary
>Sardinina
>not Sicily or Egypt
stop making shit up

>rome can't have more than one or two granaries

nigga when I played aoe I had dozens of granaries

My post seems to have triggered many Sardshits but I actually do like Sardinian history

The meme will never die

It's an obvious reference to a widely known Veeky Forums meme

>According to Roman philosopher and politician Cicero, writing in the 1st century BC, Sardinia,
Sicily and Africa were the main sources of wheat-growing

schools1.cic.ames.cam.ac.uk/pdfs/Food at Pompeii - Wheat.pdf

and so? the campidano plain in Sardinia were known as the "Roman Granary" during the Imperial roman Era, this doesn't exclude that in the ancient Rome other places were known with the same name.

So not Sardinina which is what I said
Made me chuckle. It's been a while 4chna, my old chap.

Read again mu post

>a place in Sardinina is called "the Roman granary"
>therfore Sardinia was known as the Roman Granery
You are fucking stupid.

the whole island was known a the Roman Granary

The Campidano is just the largest plain in the island that covers like 1/3 of its surface

No one really knows for certain as most were built 3,000 some odd years ago. However, scholars believe they could have been used for anything from temples to fortified dwellings. I personally tend to believe that they were fortified dwellings (not a fort or castle mind you) along with being somewhat of a statues symbol. The closest thing I can think to compare them to would be the tower house that appeared in the later part of the middle ages but then again that's just my opinion.

Well, some like pic related were obviously straight out forts

>It's been established most of them couldn't be used as forts
How the fuck does one "establish" that? The Texans literally repurposed an old church into a fort.

Or pic related which covered an area of 3600 square meters, positioned near a settlements with over 200 houses (basically a town)

5/10 bait IMO

>designed by From Software

>useless towers
argument from incredulity, my man

Pardon?

How the fuck do they know how it looked did they have pictures?

The ancient Sards built hundreds of models of the Nuraghi and even some models of temples and houses

ancient nuragics did bronze and stone scale models of their buildings and they are exhibited in many sardinian museums today

They also drew them on vases

And made Nuraghi shaped buttons

So were Sardinians obsessed with towers?

yes