How to Start A Social Movement

I need help. I have been wanting to start a social movement for a while now but I don't even know the first thing about forming, expanding and operating them. I am also a generally introverted person so I wouldn't even know how to get those first few people to form a core membership. I also can't quite parse how focused a movement should be. While I would want sweeping societal changes, I also understand that there will be limitations, I just don't know what these limitations will be? Can you offer any help to give me a better understanding of how to do anything pertaining to trying to change society whether through books or personal experience? I understand that most movements just winged it and learned along the way but I like to be able to plan far in advance and I don't want to fuck up.

I don't particularly want to elaborate on the idea itself right now but if it is absolutely necessary I can.

Step 1- write a manifesto.

You need to find like-minded people and raise awareness. You're not doing yourself any favors by keeping your idea secret.

without charisma you´re pretty much fucked
is this movement of yours political or religious/spiritual?

appeal to people's tribalism, fear, frustration, hate and anger

do you have money?

What are your key principles and core beliefs in regards to this said social or political movement?

Is there a reliable template for how one should be written. Should it be more like an academic essay with citations or should it be more rhetoric driven?

That's a bullet I will probably have to bite.

>without charisma you´re pretty much fucked
I'm not really charismatic. People tend to like me but not in the "standing on a podium" sense. I have brothers who are reasonably charismatic and one is reasonably politically active but the problem with roping them in, is that while one can slink back from the public eye in the event of a failed movement, you can't retreat from family if they think you are full of shit.

>is this movement of yours political or religious/spiritual
>What are your key principles and core beliefs in regards to this said social or political movement?
It's cultural/political. My home has a lot of political issues but they all sprout from the fundamentally broken and selfish way in which people view their relation to the community. Nobody considers themselves as being part of something larger. A couple examples of this is the divide between urban and rural that has grown even larger in recent years. Our government is pretty good about having representatives equal to population but that means shit when rural is still vastly outnumbered by the cities who don't understand their problems and we do a lot of referendums. We need urban and rural populations who don't exist as separate entities and don't only look out for themselves. Our K-12 education is permanently fucked and we need to change the culture to make it much more of a community effort (we need tutors, parental involvement, respect for teachers). We are on the verge of ecological collapse but few people do their part to help because we are stuck in the "fuck you I got mine" ideology. Policies can be rolled forward and back, but a strong culture is permanent. Sorry if this seems too broad but I guess that's why I'm here.

I'm also moderately invested in putting down deeper cultural roots. People tend to be transient to the area and don't really attach themselves to the community we have vast tracts of houses where nobody knows each others name and couldn't give a shit about one another. Our cities are often soulless and full of people going through the motions. We have no traditions and we really only came into being around the time pop culture became huge so there is nothing except that.

I guess I am saying I want to create a proper unified culture and people with strong values where there isn't any.

hey OP, I think your best start is to look into philosophy to have a stronger root base for your arguments/ ideology.

Are you aware of what sort of movements your ideas stem from?

>Are you aware of what sort of movements your ideas stem from?
I noticed that a lot of the influence comes from certain ideas of nationalism and older conservatives concepts (which is actually funny since I am liberal leaning), though not in the way this site likes to practice it. I say this because many of my ideas come from a place of being able to look towards the good of the people as a whole and restrict ones own desires such as being willing to heavily curtail ones own use of water to aid the community rather than the "fuck everything I got what I need" ideology, or a city voter ship being willing to concede arguments in favor of the rural populations to maintain social order. Really its a lot of establishing a cultural order which is straightforward and less chaotic, but not through the medium of government as it has been proven time and again to be retarded. The conservatism part comes in through reestablishing the importance of social expectations and community ties in an increasingly alienating world though without the oppressive and archaic proscriptions of conservatism as it appears today.

I just remembers an example of what I am talking about, although I'm not sure of its accuracy. I heard that in Tokyo there are no trash cans yet no garbage in the streets because the Japanese realize on a deep cultural level that their trash is their problem and that littering is incredibly shitty. They didn't need the government for that. That is the type of thing I want (though not necessarily exactly like Japan), to establish a strong unified set of cultural expectations tied to my own people and which is tailored to our land and situation, and increase individuals sense of obligation to the community as a whole.

I hope that makes sense

Bump for interest

You mean like a Sith Lord?

getting off Veeky Forums would help simon

I'm pretty good at writing rhetoric and flowery speeches. Maybe I could play, too?

You need a way to make your concepts tighter and easily understood in an elevator pitch. Specific platforms for action in the community. Slogans made from these actionable statements to spread your ideas virally through advertisement, social media platforms, even fucking sticker bombing.

You need to attach your ideas to tangible, positive consequences in the community. Consider starting a community outreach group, and see where it goes from there.

>have a coherent ethos
>articulate that ethos in a transmittable format
>share it
>it is now no longer up to you

>I'm pretty good at writing rhetoric and flowery speeches. Maybe I could play, too?
That might depend on where you live, my ideas are pretty state/region specific. Though I am not opposed to outside help.

>You need a way to make your concepts tighter and easily understood in an elevator pitch
Would you say around 500 words is truncated enough or should it be even smaller?

>even fucking sticker bombing.
Weirdly enough, even in this digital age I often ignore information and ideas on social media and get drawn to posters and stickers. Maybe its something about them having the initiative to actually leave the office to put up something tangible.

>Consider starting a community outreach group, and see where it goes from there.
I like this idea. I may want sweeping social change but maybe I should test my ability to actually pull things off on a smaller field. My immediate city has a couple issues which could be used as a launch point.

Sorry if this is too many questions.

I'm actually curious now as to how many people a movement has to have before it becomes self sustaining and not in need of constant monitoring.

You should probably work on being able to socialize first. Before you even think of changing society you ought to at least be a part of it you sperg.

Rhetoric user, again.

I'm from Dallas, but don't really need to be in the immediate area to pump you for basic party tenets and reasoning. This could be a fun challenge.

If you're interested in sticker bombing, definitely get them in a professional-appearing design with shortened urls to your online platform. A basic-level meetup page is free and will probably get more traffic than a facebook page if you use key words in your descriptions to optimize your visibility.

Also, 500 words is fine for a start. We want a short paragraph that can be ordered to sound interesting and engaging. And some basic, hard-line statements that sound both intuitive and appealing to believe.