Boshin War

Currently writing a presentation on the Boshin War for a class. Does anyone have a battle map of Toba-Fushimi, Ueno, or Hakodate. I could really use one but I haven't been able to find any.

Also general Boshin War Thread

Hey not bad

Are there any good books on the war in English? I'd recommend OP read a book on the subject as it'll have more information.

Why do these guys look so dark?
Are they from the south or something?

first off they are standing infront of a white background and wear bright clothes, as such they appear darker
second they are from Satsuma(Kyushu) and that's the southern tip of mainland japan

Those other background effects hardly influence what I'm seeing
>second they are from Satsuma(Kyushu) and that's the southern tip of mainland japan
That is literally what I was asking. Just that sentence was all you needed to reply with actually.

WE

I have some pictures of 1890's Japan that I'll dump

Also, Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai is a fantastic game even if you don't care about Total War

It's really cool being able to see modernization against an ancient culture

WARRIOR MONKS GET OUT REEEE

Just saying, I don't know a lot about the context of these pictures, but if someone does, I'd be happy if they could tell some more

>KOBE

It's strange seeing such a juxtaposition

MY CABBAGES

This is the last of the pictures. I hope you all were satisfied

No.
You know what I meant.

Thank you, user, I had not seen some of these before!

A few that I have.

I thought Ainu women had facial tattoos ?

When they get married I think.
Tbh, there are many different tribes of Ainu too so customs can just different?
I have a document with derailed ethnographies of many different Ainu tribes in Hokkaido. If I can find it soon. I will post. If you have access to jstor journals you may find it there if you're interested.

It started to go out of fashion after Meiji restoration.

I'll post what I have about the war and the Bakumatsu in general.

Does anyone know the source of this picture, btw?

Jules Brunet, French military advisor for the Shogunate. Also, the historical basis (kinda) for The Last Samurai.

"A revolution is forcing the Military Mission to return to France. Alone I stay, alone I wish to continue, under new conditions: the results obtained by the Mission, together with the Party of the North, which is the party favorable to France in Japan. Soon a reaction will take place, and the Daimyos of the North have offered me to be its soul. I have accepted, because with the help of one thousand Japanese officers and non-commissioned officers, our students, I can direct the 50,000 men of the Confederation."

Jules Brunet, Letter to Napoleon I

He also did drawings during his time there.

Napoléon III*, of course.

This is from the Satsuma Rebellion, but it fits the larger theme of the Meiji restoration.

Hope you found something useful in there, OP. If anyone is interested, I have a lot of pictures from the era, up to the Russo-Japanese war.

Please post them. This thread has been great and I want to see more awesome pictures.

>this thread

WHAITO PIGGU GO HORRME

just like my animes

10/10 thread t. naziboo

Alright ! Here's picture from and around Perry's expedition.