Veeky Forums related games

Is HoI4 worth buying on steam or not? I'm very interested in it. Also general Veeky Forums type games

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/vg/search/username/RezMar/
youtube.com/watch?v=PJKTDz1zYzs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't buy it, its very bland and dumbed down. You are going to need all of the dlc to make it playable in the future and based ond the 2 dlc that they have released its going to be shit.

The mods are good though

Pirate it and play Kaiserraich instead. This mod has more depth than any Paradox game in recant years.

>Playing Hoi4
you're better off playing EU4 or HOI3

I got it at release and enjoyed it. It's completely fucked but there's fun to be had.

Best advice? Pirate it. Plus the DLC. You'll either hate it or love it.

Here's a great historical games that is rarely mentioned in these threads

Of all paradox spreadsheet simulators, HoI4 has least depth to it. Play EU4 or CKII

This. EU4 has issues, but Jesus Lord it's worth it. Get it on sale, get the not-shit DLCs, maybe M&T if that's your thing.

I have 700 hours in HOI3, there are amillion mods and challenges that keep you going. Btw HOI3 and Vicky 2 run without steam meaning you can buy everything and the dlcs then just refund it and as long as you keep the file it still works btw

Fantastic game

>tfw you bring just a pistol and do better than if you had a primary weapon

Rome:Total War 2

Surely you mean Attila

Eh, Red Orchestra 2 is better for actual realism

Because this isn't r/steamcordplaza
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/username/RezMar/
Enjoy it, friendos

Warhammer total war

>buying on steam

>No Skaven Jezzails
>No Dark Elven fully automatic crossbows
>But we gotta have the fucking Beastmen!
What were they thinking?

Shit game

No one mentioning HoI2:Armageddon?

Amateurs.

Darkest Hour is the definitive HOI2

Make an account on cs.rin.ru, download it from there, then download patch from there. There are also mods on there too.

darkest hour despite its age is the best.

it actually has events that set up proper post-war boundaries that allow for WW3 to happen.

>>But we gotta have the fucking Beastmen!
For the wapanese demographic.

I don't think they'd be too keen on Warhammer monstergirls

The tech tree is shyte, though.

Admittedly I was/am too used to regular. Cannot seem to run it after a Windows update, though. Any solutions I've missed? Crashes while the main menu is loading, reinstalls don't help.

I tried playing EU4. It's kind of fun initially as you try to grow, but the more you grow the less fun the game becomes.

I think I'll stick with Civ 6 for now.

Civ6 is shit too

Brigadier General donor reporting in.

Where my Campfire Games niggas at?

A good chunk of Paradox games are only fun while it's the right degree of difficult - challenging but not outright impossible - once you're over the hump, it's essentially autistic alternative history masturbation.

I should know, I do it too.

that's just kinda how it goes with all strategy games honestly.

It's fine in the beginning as there's true challenges to overcome, but once you get the ball running, you're doing so good that the game simply can't throw challenges that can derail you anymore.

strategy games in general lack good scaling in penalties for the mid to late game, it would be nice to see EU4 scale late game penalties like having a Revolution be a truly disastrous thing for your giant empire rather than something you genuinely want to happen, or revolts so large that it can go toe-to-toe with your entire military rather than isolated 20k stacks.

some developers at extra credits addressed this not too long ago, one of their better videos imo

youtube.com/watch?v=PJKTDz1zYzs

>or revolts so large that it can go toe-to-toe with your entire military rather than isolated 20k stacks.
Oh god no, not the fucking Vicky2 300 million stacks of jacobins shit again

Expeditions Conquistador is worth checking out. I'm enjoying it so far.

The fucking rebellion mechanics in Attila are exhausting.
>Have to repeatedly slaughter members of your own horde to avoid rebellion
>Armies cannot stay out of cities for more than like 5 turns without rebelling
>Capturing a single settlement takes like 8 turns for rebellion to die down (problem also exists with Rome 2)

The last one is my main problem. The game feels so fucking slow now and combined with always needing a general unit it feels like an effort in tedium waging war.
>Capture one settlement
>Wait 6 turns for rebellion to die down
>Capture second settlement in province
>Wait another six turns
>Enemy captures one of your settlements
>Spend another six turns capturing the settlement and waiting for rebellion to die down
>Hooray you spent a whole day capturing three provinces

Campaign wise I would actually say Empire did the best since the small settlements combined with the facts that you didn't need generals made raiding an actual possible tactic. Fighting a stronger enemy? Get like 6 cheap cavalry units, send them into the enemy country side and have each unit hop from settlement to settlement destroying their economy and ability to research.

Empire w/ mods is my favorite TW. Was hoping for an Empire 2 not the Warhammer bullshit

IMO I think Empire's campaign map is one the best (minus one province France and Spain). The development of towns is great for bettering your provinces over time based off your food production and harvesting techniques.
The battles are kinda eh, but I have Frederick the Great's fetish for the crack of rifle shot. It does feel good being able to maneuver your neat lines around instead of just charging melee infantry into blobs
Also, I like how detailed all the research in Empire/Napoleon was. Namedropping specific acts and scientists (though mostly English) is better than Shogun's/Attila's "yeah this probably happened at some point," which just felt too gamey

>Already making Warhammer 2
Seriously, fuck CA

They don't have females?

It's a stand alone add on.

I also fucking hate the stylized unit cards that Rome 2 had. Don't give me man shaped runes, give me a picture of the unit. Does it have armour? Does it have a shield? Does it have a sword, axe, spear, or bow? These are things that are nice to be able to ascertain from a glance at the card so I can easily decide if I want to pick that unit, or where I should put it in battle without memorizing every unit.

Not Veeky Forums technically, but Paradox seemed to try doing this with Stellaris. But it didn't pan out that well

I don't think there's ever been one depicted, they supposedly exist but like the men I imagine they have goat heads and shit
It's a fucking 60 dollar DLC bullshit for races that should have been in at launch instead of nobody cares races like Beastmen, Vampire Counts and fucking Wood Elves

>I imagine they have goat heads and shit
Just wait until they want the money and you will be wrong.

Would the allies still win if it wasn't for the US?

HOI4 is nice, with Kaiserreich mod it becomes even better.

Fantasy doesn't make money silly, that's why it's dead and replaced by Age of Shitmar

No, the Soviet Union would fight the Third Reich to a stand still around Ural and then both would be unable to force a victory. UK gets weary and makes some kind of peace eventually.

Yeah, what the fuck was even the point of that?
>let's throw away the world and lore and races and make some shitty rip of off 40k
They already have 40k??????????????

Love pic related and HOI IV

>There are now space marine space marines in 40K
I don't think GW knows what they're doing anymore

Is it still alive?

Shogun 2 reigns supreme over all other TWs, Fall of the Samurai excluded.

>MISTAKING BATTLEFIELD 1 FOR WW2

kekekekekekekekek

It's an easy mistake to make when almost every gun is an SMG

>Allies
>WW I
Are you retarded?

Rule the Waves is pretty good.

Contrary to every single opinion in this thread, I'm having tons of fun ith HoI4. I don't have the autism necessary to figure out the more complex paradox games, and HoI4 is the only title from them that I found to have a fucking user friendly interface that actually wants you to understand the game.
Also the game has good music and looks amazing for a 4k strategy game.

>pic related
>ireland still independent
Truly a resilient people

Just let it happen bro
Be a democracy

I like HOI4 a lot. It's not perfect by any means, but it beats the hell out of the unplayable HOI3

Who here /sid meier's pirates/?

Scourge of War

>not playing Vic2
What the fuck Veeky Forums

>vanilla vicky 2

shake my DAMN head

There are no mods that fix the dogshit coding for the economy anyway, and that's its biggest issue

Just spam cement factories dude

LIQUOR

Not the issue, POP promotion is fundamentally broken because the national bank interest system literally doesn't work and neither Paradox or a modder has fixed it

If you aren't playing Napoleonic Wars and shitposting about history on NRP you're doing it wrong.

I never thought playing a rank and file musket using shitter in a line of cannon fodder could be fun until I played this game on this server.

I think hoi 4 overvalues fortifications...

>not max taxing people
I may be a minarchist IRL, but swimming in money in this game i awesome.

not getting any response from comments on youtube?, use incognito mode(shift+ctrl+N) and see if youtube is censoring your comments

All HoI games do to be honest, especially on artificial difficulty settings like very hard

>Join server
>Pick Freikorps
>28 men in the line
>About 110 people on each team
>First few volleys go okay but then a cannon shreds through about 6 of us and wipes out the officer
>Pick up the flag which was dropped
>Lead the men in a desperate charge against a huge enemy line
>Manage to beat them in melee
>Our cavalry and their cavalry collide in the middle of us
>Cannons and rockets from the brits barraging the whole scene
>Eventually come out of the fight
>4 of us left

That shit is intense, man.

>Assaulting a level 10 fort

Just in time, anyone wanna play The great War mod? I need at least 4 guys.

Then you get into group fighting servers where everyone does 720s with their bayonets

Make a thread on paradox plaza for that

Even assaulting level 1 fort in any of them before HoI4 on very hard is fucking retarded with a -40% combat penalty

It's not that bad if you can bomb them to drop the fort level down. Or just go around.

It's artificial difficulty and very lazy game design though, anyone else remember the good old days of HoI3 where China would annex Japan in 3 months?

Allies is a term for both World war 1 and 2

I'm down

Who /rising storm vietnam/ here?

WERCOME TO THE RICE FIERDS MOTHAFUCKA

What game lets me play as an American Civil War Southern General?

Ultimate General: Civil War.

Any other ones?

Mosbys Confederacy if you like small unit tactics

Bought it but waiting until they add bots. Helps the battles feel more full.

What? Just play the 64 player servers

>Not playing Darkest Hour and having glorious Nippon Empire that controls one side of the world and Nazi Germany controlling the other.

Crisis in the Kremlin

my nigger

In some little degree rebels do get worse in the endgame in EU4, especially since in lategame you tend to gobble up way more land, after a war the urest was so high in my empire that it made spawn all possible rebels and a shit ton of 40-60k stacks of revolutionaries
At the moment I thought I was screwed, but in the end I maneged to put it all down

>Assassins' Creed 4 both ressurrected and killed the pirate genre
>it'll be a long while until a pirate game with decent naval combat and swordfights

Victoria 2 is the best /gsg/ game yet. CKII is a close second.

>want to play Victoria 2
>looks like a huge amount to learn
>know that I thought the same about EU4
>still put off by the lack of playable nations or start dates

I want to alt-history but I dunno if I can be bothered sitting down to learn it all again paradox style.

Play the tutorial completely, it's worth it. Then install Historical Project Mod.

Do people have non-paradox recommendations. Most people know about paradox games as they are the go to grand strategy alternetive history games. But does anybody know games which are less well known?

Medieval 2 Total war, not Vanilla though the Stainless Steel or Broken Crescent mods. Restore the glory of Rome and kill Muslim/Latin Barbarians.