Biological immortality

Do you think it'll happen, and if so, how would the course of history be changed?

The fundamental nature of existence would changed forever.

Human birthrates would plummet .Humans would be harsher in regards to value of human life and life in general.Offspring would be seen as a burden to demi gods who judge each others worth on what they've accomplished across thousands of years.

Perhaps humans would plan objectives and long term goals stretching centuries of work.

>wanting to be immortal, unironically

I practically just finished 1 eternity of nonexistence and am in no rush to start another.

This. Do you pathetic fucks actually think that you'd achieve something, if only you were given more time?

It kinda annoys me when people act like wanting biological immortality is this big misguided thing and if you want it you just haven't thought it through enough.

You realize all "biological immortality" means is that you get to live as long as you want, right? (Or until you have a fatal accident.)

I wouldn't want to live FOREVER, but two hundred years, five hundred years, a thousand years, basically until I get too tired or bored ... yeah, I'm into it.

Literally what does this even mean? Do you think people want to be "immortal" because they want to be Stephen Hawking, Alexander the Great, or Shakespeare? No, you idiot, it's because they like living.

Life expectancy has been growing slowly for many years. I think people will reach 100 in good shape maybe by the end of the century.

it would be very hard to adapt new ideas and concepts.
for example, everybody in 1900 was racist, but these people died off by now, and the following generations are more tolerant.
once we get biologically immortal, we will carry our flaws forever with us

I can already imagine anti-immortal movements and religious groups rioting on streets or maybe even staging a revolution. Or maybe terrorists killing immortals.

actually, by the current death rate through accidents/diseases, biological immortality would mean an average lifespan of around 700 years

700 years sounds reasonably cool to me. That's pretty much where I'm at vis a vis immortality, where I think most people are at - I'm comfortable with the fact that someday, I will die, I don't want to live FOREVER, but I don't like having a hard cap on my lifespan. I'd like to go until I get bored or something unexpected happens to me, let the chips fall where they may.

Check out UNITY Biotechnology.

$ 116 millions in funding (partly by Jeff Bezos), published several papers on Nature/Science where they demonstrate the feasibility of their rejuvenation therapy on mice (it's called senescent cells clearance) and apparently they're shooting for phase I human clinical trials before the end of the year.

This means that 5-10 years from now there could already be a therapy capable of partially reversing aging.

It will bring much-needed stability to much of the first world that will otherwise suffer from demographic decline. With the far right rising, one can't reasonably expect for western countries to continue to be accepting of immigrants.

DNA degradation after cycles of cell replacement is what causes cancer and organ failure.
The only source of biological immortality would be to transcribe DNA perfectly in every cell every time.

If this were somehow possible there's still the problem of memories we accumulate over the centuries eventually overwhelming our brains' ability to store them.

Considering these issues, digital immortality might be easier.

Fair enough. I'd like immortality because I'm not religious but realize all the fear and dread are literally only because I'm alive and worry doesn't exist when you don't. It's mostly FOMO

It should only be for the elites of humanity

I'd like to be immortal if I can have the body of pregnant Anne Frank.

Wat.

Your memories get corrupted and lost even during your lifetime.

How much do you remeber from your childhood?
How accurate it is?
Did it really happen?

Most of the ventures in biological immortality today actually are about getting cells to transcribe correctly each time.

As for memories, I'd actually prefer to lose them all after a certain amount of time; reincarnation is my favorite afterlife myth and I wish it were true because it makes the idea of forever way more manageable.

You obviously aren't a black man in America today because I can promise you the KKK is alive and well and I am a victim of racism on a daily basis.

I feel like the media makes sure to keep those flames stoked just well enough for that wound to never heal.

Then just say biological longevity instead

He's not OP and people would make the argument regardless of what you called it.

no, also

Well then it is still a term everyone should start using to avoid confusion

B E G O N E

Veeky Forums says take it to /x/ and /x/ says take it to Veeky Forums which means it goes on /trash/ or /b/ but those are both mostly nudity or gore.

Definite immortality. Even if it is discovered tomorrow and applied to all of humanity the next day we would still die with the universe.

Impossible because science doesn't actually work. Stop memeing yourself.

wat. if you really got sick of immortality you can just kill yourself, brainlets

oh fuck off

you can make just the opposite argument though. the end of the burden of making a living for oneself would free a lot of time to concentrate on one's pursuits such as reading, and the increased time to dedicate to education i believe would gradually change or soften one's prejudiced beliefs. you're assuming people's beliefs are static, anyway, which they're not.

You cheeky cunts are genociding yourselves with far more efficiency than the klan could ever dream.
8/10 i replied

>false flag

Actually mice have shown to had their aging reversed by messing with their telomerase and its going into human trials this fall.

>2017 AD
>Believing we know the Ultimate Fate of the Universe when we don't even know what 90% of the universe is made of.

Also you could argue that people that learned how to live indefinitely would figure out how to keep the universe around, too, given trillions of years of technological advancement to work on that problem.