Caesar described the cultural differences between the Germanic tribesmen, the Romans, and the Gauls...

>Caesar described the cultural differences between the Germanic tribesmen, the Romans, and the Gauls. He said that the Gauls, although warlike, could be civilized, but the Germanic tribesmen were far more savage and were a threat to Roman Gaul and so had to be conquered.

What did caesar mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/partial-bibliography.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he correctly anticipated a threat to civilization and tried to warn future generations

Why does everyone ignore this?

Blame Augustus for shitting his pants and tearing hair at the mere mention of Teutoburg forest.

>this type of ppl, i know how to beat them so dont worry
>these others though, god damn savages living in the woods i have no idea how to deal with all of them

do you think the US would still police the middle east if they lost half their marine corps and several army divisions in a single battle?

t. g*rm

G*rms avoid threads like these.

Caesar, days before his murder, planned to reclaim Crassus' lost standards from the Parthians and then conquer them. Then he was going to circle round the Caspian, conquer or march through the areas around there, then lay down the fucking hammer on the Germanic tribes.
Unfortunately, those preening Optimates with 'muh republic' stopped all that. They could have gotten Caesar out of Rome and let him die out there (I mean the man was incredible but he was getting old and I doubt would have actually accomplished this decades-long campaign trying to emulate Alexander) and done whatever they wanted. Send Marc Anthony too, while they were at it.
Augustus, after putting everything to rights with the murderers, Cicero, degenerate Marcus Antonius, and consolidating his rule, was not a warrior. He had no reason to conquer Parthia or Germania when he basically got surprised with his inheritance (probably) and determined not to fuck it up. What did it lead to? 400 extra years of Roman hegemony in the Mediterranean that his dipshit stepson and ensuing dynasties couldn't manage to fuck up until around Commodus (that fuckstick.)
Germania simply wasn't worth the trouble.

>Caesar, days before his murder, planned to reclaim Crassus' lost standards from the Parthians, and then conquer them.
Proofs?

It is commonly stated that Caesar had plans to eventually conquer Parthia and other parts of the world like Britain and more of Germany before his assassination. What historian it's from I don't know.

it's literally the first thing that comes up when you google "Caesar into Parthia"

>Augustus
>dipshit stepson

wut

Where's the source though?

No ancient writers said this only this guy in the wikipedia article for the claim: J.F.C. Fuller, Julius Caesar, Man, Soldier, Tyrant", Chapter 13

>Not just getting the Parthians to give Crassus' eagles back without a fight

There's no way Caesar would've been able to conquer Parthia let alone the Caucasus and germania. Just more of Caesars delusions of grandeur

>being an unmanly weak Roman
No wonder your city got sacked 3 times.

>unmanly weak Roman
>succeeded where Marius, Sulla, and Caesar failed
>established the Julio-Claudian dynasty
>which lead into the start of the golden age of the Roman Empire
>"unmanly weak Roman"

Oddly enough, the Emperor Caligula used Germanics as bodyguards in the belief that their barbarism made them "pure" and therefore incorruptible. His instincts seem to have be correct, as when Caligula was murdered by his Roman guards, his German guards remained loyal and went on a bloody rampage to kill all those who they suspected of playing a part in the assassination.

How many soldiers would he even need to do what you wrote?
Germanicus went behind Rhine with 8 legions, third of Roman army and cumulatively didn't do shit.

>, those preening Optimates with 'muh republic' stopped all that. They could have gotten Caesar out of Rome and let him die out there (I mean the man was incredible but he was getting old and I doubt would have actually accomplished this decades-long campaign trying to emulate Alexander) and done whatever they wanted. Send Marc Anthony too, while they were at it.
>Augustus, after putting everything to rights with the murderers, Cicero, degenerate Marcus Antonius, and consolidating his rule, was not a warrior. He had no reason to conquer Parthia or Germania when he basically got surprised with his inheritance (probably) and determined not to fuck it up. What did it lead to? 400 extra years of Roman hegemony in the Mediterranean that his dipshit stepson and ensuing dynasties couldn't manage to fuck up until around Commodus (that fuckstick.)
>Germania simply wasn't worth the trouble.
Fuuuuck, imagined if he managed to kill all the fucking Germans, Rome would have never fallen and we would have reached singularity by now

t. Senate

Except one of his greatest victories was precisely against germans?

>germans

This is because the germans, being foreign subhumans, had literally no other loyalty except that towards the protected guy. This happened constantly during history.

Fuck your stupid english for calling the country Germany making me mix the two terms.

Too fucking many. I imagine he'd have faced a mutiny if he finished off Parthia and tried taking his Legions north; he might have culled new legions from the Persians, but that would have likely not ended well - some sort of betrayal somewhere, you know.
You're right, but the absolute mad man wanted to do it anyways.
Based Augustus Caesar, may he reign forever
Tiberius, idk, I think I got something wrong somewhere along the line - wasn't the Tiberius who was exiled for some dumb reason like the last choice in succession after Marcellus and Agrippa died? I don't remember, I'm brushing up on my rusty Roman history.
Source: A History of Rome by Mike Duncan. Idk how good of a source it is, since he never sources his stuff directly in the podcast but there's a bibliography on his site:
thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/partial-bibliography.html

Again, Germania simply wasn't worth the trouble for an Empire that seemed to struggle from imploding most of the time anyways. Even at its greatest extent under Trajan, Hadrian strategically scaled it back in Mesopotamia.

Whoever made this map fucked up their legend.

Caesar should fucking conquer the whole Europe so we could be a proud European before AD

No if Romans didn't conquer the Slavs