Why is this man still revered as a great President...

Why is this man still revered as a great President? When will Southern cause be recognized in the history books as the righteous one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why is this man still revered as a great President?
Saved the Union & ended slavery, regardless of motivations.

>When will Southern cause be recognized in the history books as the righteous one?
From the 1870s to the 1960s.

>ended slavery
made every American a slave to the Federal Government*

Was that really the historical consensus back then? I saw Birth of a Nation and it seemed to espouse that viewpoint but I wasn't aware it was mainstream.

this.

Samefag

No, these two are me:

War winning presidents are always going to get extra brownie points.

Saving the country from being split in two is a pretty significant accomplishment, and you're not likely to have a group be seen as "righteous" when one of their founding principles is that slavery is legitimate. But Presidents who are assassinated do tend to be overrated somewhat. I'm inclined to think that Lincoln wasn't really that exceptional himself, but rather lived in interesting times.

Whereas otherwise they would have been slaves to the state governments, which would be at best marginally better, and at worst considerably worse. The Civil War was not about INDIVIDUAL rights in any way (except in the sense that the slavery issue was about the slaves' right to freedom against the slave owners' right to own people), it was really more about the balance of power between the federal and state level.

this

When Yankees lose control of education

Dubya could've changed the narrative but he bent over to his daddy dick Cheney who was a northern republican

The Bush clan are a Connecticut family. They couldn't be more yankee.

>Why is this man still revered as a great President?
Because he put down the great redneck chimp-out

When will Southern cause be recognized in the history books as the righteous one?
As soon as denial of basic historical fact becomes academic protocol
youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4

An employee of the DoD is not going to question the narrative. It wasn't about slavery. If it was, why were Northern states the last ones to abolish slavery?

What's the point of mentioning the south as righteous? It's not like they can read.

>Go home and wait it out man.
>Trust me.

k ys.

>When will Southern cause be recognized in the history books as the righteous one?
Because if you're trying to establish "the righteous cause," what you're doing isn't history.

>I'm inclined to think that Lincoln wasn't really that exceptional himself, but rather lived in interesting times.
This. I still count him a great president, but he was a product of his circumstances. Still, he proved much shrewder than his earlier career might have made me suspect he'd have been in other circumstances. I agree with your skepticism toward hagiography though.

So what was it about? Because it sure as hell wasnt states rights.

The Confederates themselves admitted that acceptance of slavery was one of their fundamental beliefs. And actually the last state to abolish slavery was Mississippi in 2013. Slavery wasn't fully, officially abolished throughout the Union until the Thirteenth Amendment (which came AFTER the Emancipation Proclamation which freed all slaves in Confederate states), but probably the reason it took so long to officially be outlawed in the Union is because it had already become mostly insignificant, there was no great pressure to outlaw it. The North was well known as the "free states" as opposed to the Southern "slave states" even before the Civil War. The South on the other had, not only had slavery be legalized, but it was a major part of their economy and way of life.

FOR

WHOM

HE

SAVED

THE

U N I O N

>muh lost cause narrative
"They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew." Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. [Crowd applauded.] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth." Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the CSA

The Almighty has His own purposes. "Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh." If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him?

Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

Daily reminder that every man who served for the Confederacy, either in the government, on the front lines, or supporting the war effort in any way committed treason against the United States, and rightfully should have been executed. That entire generations weren't wiped out below the mason-dixon line and replaced with civilized settlers from the north was a mercy, never forget that, cletus.

sherman did NOTHING wrong

The Confederacy was literally a terrorist state.

Soon. We're in charge again. All is well. Just have to make sure the blacks don't get butthurt. Which to be clear is perfectly understandable but also annoying and due to neopuritan and Marxist brain washing.

>I have no argument so I insult
>Two people have strong and similar cases
>"I have a cunning plan m'lord"

The worst part about this is that after they lost, Stepehens was one of the first people to start going on about how it was all for 'muh states rights'

>it was really more about the balance of power between the federal and state level.
the CSA constitution didn't grant any more powers to the states than the US constitution, and in fact forced states to make slavery legal. It also, curiously, had no provision for secession.

Some of you are alright, don't go to Atlanta tomorrow.