Two-Factor Authentication

How likely is it that 2FA is going to protect your coins from an exchange getting hacked? I feel it's more likely that I'll lose, break, or have my phone stolen.

Idk I use it on cb but not on kraken and have had no issues at all

It protects your account from being hacked individually, if the exchange gets hacked and loses all its coins you still lose.

good point actually, I wonder how easy it actually is to recover an account on say bittrex if you ever lose 2fa

I've never really considered my HDD dying on me either, I should keep my coins more secure

individually it's a fairly good protection. 2FA + strong password that you regularly change is enough

if server side of exchange gets hacked you're fucked unless private keys are held on airgapped storage with end to end encryption between user and storage

Has anyone gone through the process of losing access to their phone and trying to access their accounts? I'd like to know how easy/difficult it was and how long it took.

record you're phones IME, itunes account and password on paper

Well if the exchange gets hacked you are fucked. Which is why you shouldn't put to much money sketchy sites.
As for protection:
I have a codeword that i use for passwords.
It's a random word with some numbers that nobody ever could guess no matter how much they know about me.
I have never written that word down, saved it on my computer etc.
Now when i make i password i roll 8 random numbers from 1-(how many characters are in my codeword). I write the numbers down in a physical notepad that i have a backup copy off.
Now my passwords are just random jibberish and nobody could find out one even if they had my notepad. I use this method for important shit like gmail, amazon or crypto stuff.

Also, when you create 2FA you should get a retrieval key that you can write down somewhere. This way you can reset your 2FA incase something happens to your phone.

Bittrex has either a leak or insiders siphoning money from 2FAless accounts every now and then. Google "bittrex hack" for pages of results with the same methodology.

They give you recovery keys when you set up 2FA. Don't lose them. It's a must have.

I bought 2 new phones from the ETH pump last June. They're just simple cheap China phones that doesn't look expensive like the iPhones. I put the authentication and other important stuff related to money there, the other phone is just for contacts.

Pretty easy, put in a code they gave me and voila. Back in action

Same. I've got a $50 smartphone that just sits in my drawer and is only used for 2FA.

In my daily life I just use a dumbphone lol

If you have a safe, you should store it there. My safe is underground, in case of a nuclear war it won't be destroyed.

Bittrex has nothing to do with these "hacks".

Those idiots use Bing or other websearches for accessing bittrex and click on an advertised phishing site like Bltrrex.com or Bitrrex.cam - stupid fuckers.

And than they enter their 2FA 2x because the site treks them it failed for the first time after about 2 minutes. By that time they sell some positions and make a withdrawal for which they need the second 2FA.

People are stupid and naive.
Double check everything, type in the url, don't use search engines because you're lazy.

If you still get phished, it's only your own fault for being naive or dumb.

retarded ? just make a copy of your seed on paper dude

take a photo of every 2fa QR code and store them on encrypted us with yr wallet..dat's etc.. simples

you get a secret key when you enable 2FA on Bittrex and other sites that allows you to recover it should your phone be lost/broken/stolen.

If you didn't write it down, you need to disable 2FA and go through the process again to get a new secret key.

>having to go to an underground safe to get your phone everytime you want to log in to the site
And I though I had it bad trying to find it in my room

what happens if you get in an accident that causes memory loss? what if you go into a coma and when you wake up you don't remember the password?

Yeah, this is a bit silly, unless he's trading with some insane amount. Then the hassle would be worth it.

Simple solution is to not keep too much on an exchange. Move some of your crypto to cold storage (Ledger, Trezor).

Keeping all your eggs in one basket is an extremely dumb idea.

That's just for me since I keep multiple safes, I have to put them on a secured area. Go whatever is simple and secure for you.

haha what the fuck is every one but maybe 2 guys in here trolling?!

write down the fucking code you use to set up your 2FA and keep it safe

don't make totally random passwords just make them out of non lexiconned words and write down rebus passwords like "faifu fetish dick /+" to represent the password "CanColleBismarkFurry&Futa5.4cm/+" nobody's ever gonna brake it and you've got a super solid pass with paper backup in your drawer.

FOLKS pls

Dont help them, they dont deserve it.

Use Authy and forget everything except your password.

So easy.

It works, can confirm even after phone reset and last data, as long as you still have your SIM phone number.

I was rewatching Steins Gate just this morning

Don't forget, install it on a backup device, too.
You can enable multi devices, just in case of the worst case scenario