Why didn't The finns try to resist swedish controll during all those years?

Why didn't The finns try to resist swedish controll during all those years?

benis :D :D

Unironically autism.

Too drunk

Because they were tribal autists back then and the humble Swede gave them a society outisde "MÄMMI SAUNA" and built a infrastructure that helped them assimilate into their Kingdom.

Similar to how Rome made all the savage autistic tribes they conquered civilized.

>resist sweden
>become russian

It took 300 years and 3 crusades till swedes were able to conquer whole finland and even after that they only had strong influence in the coastal regions.

And yet their 'culture' survived. Guess that's all it takes to be a culture.

Nah. Finnish traditional culture survived only in the one place Swedes never fucked with and Russians ignored which is White Sea Karelia.

Same reason Estonia didn't want to resist, they wanted protection against Russia.

Who The FUCK cares Christ, irrelevant backward mongrels

Oh please, it's not hard to preserve your culture when it boils down saunas, swimming in ice and running trough the woods naked. Not exactly the hardest thing to make a mental note of.

Finland wasn't considered something else but eastern Sweden for 600 years. The reason they didn't became Cyka Blyat province #14 with their cultural identity destroyed is because the Swedish bureaucracy worked so well that the Russians felt no need to civilize them.

There's a reason the people in Finland speaking Swedish is called "Bättre folk" (better people).

Too busy farming and thinking when genghis returns

You're basically describing Finnish culture in the west where the Swedish influence lasted the longest.
Karelian culture stayed vibrant and rich until the 20th century.

Finnish mythology and culture has stayed in many ways and in many old beliefs regards a finn. Ofc swedish culture has a big influence which you can find in places like kasnäs. Dem rantahurris

>Why didn't The finns try to resist swedish controll during all those years?
First of all, they did. There's just no literary sources about it. There are, however, signs of battle from around the time of the Swedish crusades in for example Turku. Swedes even used Finnish wooden hillforts as their bases until they built a castle in Turku.

After being occupied? No reason really. Swedes didn't treat Finns badly and Finland was removed from Sweden before nationalism.

Finns weren't tribal though. This is one of the biggest myths Swedes on /int/ like to spread around, but Finnish society was quite developed. They had farming, trade, metallurgy and hierarchical societies.
This is a big ol stinkin' lie.
>
>Oh please, it's not hard to preserve your culture when it boils down saunas, swimming in ice and running trough the woods naked. Not exactly the hardest thing to make a mental note of.
This is a lie as well.
>Finland wasn't considered something else but eastern Sweden for 600 years.
This is a lie as well. In the Middle Ages Finland wasn't administered the same ways as the rest of Sweden, it was much more autonomous due to geographical reasons. After the reforms of Vasa it was still administrated differently. For most of Finland-Sweden history Finland was an unique entity in the Swedish realm, and this was recognized by almost everyone.
>There's a reason the people in Finland speaking Swedish is called "Bättre folk" (better people).
They call themselves bätrre folk, while everyone else laughs at them behind their backs.

Tell me about West Finnish runosinging.

Go read Kalevala.

The point is that the old traditions died outside Karelia. All of them. West Finns have no culture of their own.

Don't get me wrong, there were no runosingers in western Finland left, like there was in Karelia. This was mainly due to the reformation which turned finns from opportunistic catholics to devout lutherans. However, the claim that there's no culture from Western Finland is false. The earliest person who recorded ancient Finnish culture and religion was from Turku. Most of what we know of ancient Finnish gods comes from south-western Finland. "Dauidin Psalttari" includes a list of both Karelian and Tavastian gods. Mythologia Fennica uses Western Finland as a source as well, and Karelia poems
originate from western Finland. Linguists discovered this when they realized that many kalevala poems show clear signs of western Finnish dialects.

Please stop spreading misinformation on subjects you clearly have no knowledge of. t.I can spend the rest of my day giving examples to you. Kalevala is in no way an exclusively eastern Finnish thing, it has poems from Western Finland.

Yes runo songs arrived into karelia from singers who fled to russian side of the border to avoid protestant witch burning and general persecution. Interesting fact is that majority of people charged with witchcraft (that is traditional medicine, pagan rituals and runo singing) in finland were men, not women.

>The earliest person who recorded ancient Finnish culture and religion was from Turku.

Agricola was not from Turku. Pernaja is near Kotka.
And the whole Kalevala is West Finnish and shit thing is just wewuzzery from the 19th century like Sigurd Aspas Finnish Egyptian theory. Modern research doesn't support it.

It does not.

>They had farming, trade, metallurgy and hierarchical societies.

How is that contradictory with being tribal? Arabs also had all that.

I imagine the Swedes let them have quite a fair bit of autonomy culturally so they were never pressured into it, also Sweden brought with it a large military backing that Finland really needed to protect it from a growing Russia

Finnish hakkapeliittas ftw.

>And the whole Kalevala is West Finnish and shit thing is just wewuzzery from the 19th century like Sigurd Aspas Finnish Egyptian theory. Modern research doesn't support it.
I don't really know what to say to this. It's just incorrect. Linguists have pretty thoroughly proven that some Kalevala poems show signs of Western Finnish dialects. And yes Agricola was from Pernaja but spent his professional career in Turku, my bad. And many kalevala poems, according to modern research, do have western Finnish influences.

You don't understand

We weren't trapped in there with them

They were trapped in there WITH US

And poem collectors did go to Western Finland as well, they didn't go exclusively to the East. It's good to remember that kalevala poems = kalevala. Kalevala is an epic, there's an absolute shit ton of poems outside of kalevala.

I don't dispute that the tradition existed in the west centuries ago, or that there was migration but latching onto minor details like that is pretty sad.
Kalevala is still at the end of the day 100% Karelian because Karelians maintained it, even if it was originally influenced by all nearby Baltic-Finnic people.

Because they were Swedes.

It's like saying why doesn't Texas resist US control during all these years?

It wasn't some sort of occupation of Finland, it was Sweden.

My own theory is that to be able to fight back you have to have leadership and leaders have to be educated. Only burghers and nobles were educated and they were all swedes. I think this is also why the balts, the slovaks etc. never tried to resist their overlords until the 19th century when the industrialization arrived and these nations started waking up.

Finnish national identity was invented around two centuries ago, I highly doubt the people who resided in different hill forts felt themselves as an ingroup and Swedes as outgroup.
Furthermore the land was very sparsely populated and you can't really afford long term military action if you do bare sustenance farming.

>Why didn't The finns try to resist swedish controll during all those years?

Because MUH FREEDUMZ MUH NATION is a new concept that didn't exist back then.
Your king is a rich, educated man, loved by God, rules well, oh and he doesn't speak your language, who cares.
Stop applying modern ideas to medieval times.

>I highly doubt the people who resided in different hill forts felt themselves as an ingroup and Swedes as outgroup.
This is true. The local Finnish "tribes" were very much hostile to one another, with warfare and raids being common. The Swedes being united, with Church support is why Finland fell in the first place.

>Furthermore the land was very sparsely populated
That depends on what parts of the land you are looking at. Population was concentrated in the Southern lands, while further North lived wildmen, Saami and various hunter-gatherers.

Yeah but in the south the population was much more integrated into swedish society

Well, yeah, later on after the middle ages.

Bättrefolk is literally a meme. People only use it ironically or as an insult.
T. Fennoswede

>STEP THE FUCK UP DANE

LOL Sweden without Finland looks like a dick that had it's balls cut off.