How come India managed to remain pagan to the modern day, when pretty much no other country did?

How come India managed to remain pagan to the modern day, when pretty much no other country did?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasions_of_India
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughal_Empire
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lots of East Asians do ancestor worship user. Even if they are Christian, Buddhists they still do the rituals out of respect.

The japs are pretty pagan too.
With their shinto autism.

Isn't Japan very secular?

I recommend you read a bit about Shinto creation stories. It's weird as hell.

Oh no, they don't work-shipping to dying Jew it's so sad.

Amaterasu and shiet? I've seen that in anime.

Hinduism isn't pagan you fucking dickhead
As secular as any other modern country, they still celebrate Bon festival and have family shrines

DESIGNATED

Non abrahamic-religion=pagan religion

Pagan religions are not worse than Semitic fairy-tales you know. Even if we have an monotheistic idea it's often splittable. Why should be only a god, and don't be only a goddess?

I agree with (sort of), and I think that polytheistic would be the better word

No, even in Rome that's not what it meant you gay retard

>gay retard
Back to youtube niggerfaggot

Kill yourself cunt

Approved nationalism and xenophobia

Only the sense that the nuance of the question was lost in translation. Their religion is so woven into the fabric of their society that they take it for granted, and the question "are you religious?" becomes "are you a religious fanatic?".

I'm going to assume we all have a passing familiarity with Japanese culture here. Ever notice how they always fold their hands like they're praying and say "itadakimasu" before they eat? That's the Japanese equivalent of saying grace.

Japanese culture is full of loads of religious customs they take for granted and we pass off as local color.

Indian paganism had an intellectual tradition that made Christians and Muslims look like brainlets

Living on the run-off water of the Himalayan glacier provided for an insulated, huge population region, without the problem China has of fantastically long rivers chaotically rerouting themselves, killing and uprooting hundreds of thousands of people, or the west's problem of broken geography being damn near impossible for a centralized bureaucracy to manage.

There would have been fewer events which instigated mass uprisings and resentment to the ruling class, allowing religious conservatives to dominate for vastly lengthier periods of time, hence the continuing survival of their polytheistic syncretic tradition.

The Mongols more or less completely eradicating Buddhism from India also probably helped

British colonialism. Im not kidding. Without britain islam would have taken over and eventually converted all of india, it was already happening under the mughals but britain put en end to it. Dhimmism is designed to slowly but inevitably convert any subjugated population.

>3118436 How come India managed to remain pagan to the modern
Most of asia does not follow an abrahamic religion

what the living fuck happened to my post

Except the Mughals were irrelevant by the time Britain started conquering India

This. Hindu religion was more developed and sophisticated than Western theology. Even some of the Europeans at the time respected

>The Mongols more or less completely eradicating Buddhism from India also probably helped
The Mongols invaded India?

The Marathas pretty much took care of the Mughals by the time British were in India.

They conquered parts of the exterior but were repelled from the interior, and only after taking huge losses. They were later conquered by the Mughals, who were descendants of the Chagatai Khanate
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasions_of_India
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughal_Empire

Africans were converted by colonists to christianity. Why didn't they try and do the same to Indians?

Africans are famously easy to convert.

>No other country.

>China
>Japan
>Thailand
>Cambodia
>Burma
>Vietnam
>Laos

...no?

I realise that my wuestion was quite bad. Let me rephrase:

How come indias population managed to stay unconverted. When pretty much all other previously pagan countries got converted to christianity after colonisation?

Anglos aren't really the proselytizing type.

Especially in the face of a deeply entrenched religion of a large populace that doing so would lead to autistic screeching and rioting in their domains

Simply put there was alot of them, ALOT of them and all conquerors eventually stopped giving a shit about converting them so long as they paid taxes and keep quiet.

it was because of akbars syncretic tolerance autism and because arabs didn't invade the whole of india after subjugating the indus valley. the largest islamic populations in india are in the provinces which the dehli and benglai sultanates once ruled, later being part of the mughal empire. early catholic missionaries managed to convert small numbers of people of which most were located in malabar. later portuguese missionaries converted lots of people in goa.

Too much people since millenia

the fascists and reactionaries were miring before those new age retro hippie appropriators.

it was better off to tax farm all those infidels with the jizya than deprive by taking them into the fold.

>asia
Middle east is part of asia you cuck.

They tried hard. Portuguese were better at it than the rest because, being iberians, they genuinely wanted to save souls.

But isn't it haram to jizya hindus instead of jihading them? They're idolaters and not people of the book.

I've always taken those customs to be pretty equivalent to being a Creaster Catholic.
Was Shintoism just never observed the same structured way a devout Christian would attend mass?

the fines are sufficient wages for being sinners by their standards. It's a lot like liberalism actually.

MOOOOOOT

It's almost like people only follow religion when it's convenient or something

Christianity is the single biggest religion on the world, but the majority of the world isn't christian.

That still leaves the vast majority of asia's population not following Islam or christianity

Their religion is so vague and inclusive that it just kind of is. I don't think there are many fedorafags in Japan insistent on proving to everyone Amaterasu isn't real

The Mughals didn't do much to hinder Hinduism in the South. They were there for around half a century max.

>and because arabs didn't invade the whole of india after subjugating the indus valley.
Not from lack of trying.

They're best described as agnostic Buddhists, while Shinto is barely even a religion.

Shintoism is super-folksy, it isn't so much a religion as it is a culture of Japanese-ness with some ancestor-worship and animism thrown in.

The English and dutch didn't want to offend the natives by trying to convert them on a large scale. The Portuguese however were keen on conversion, based fr peter berno destroyed "sacred" ant hills and killed "sacred" cows and converted Large numbers of people.

Don't know about the other Europeans in India, but I know the British tried for a while and decided against it due to the unrest it caused. See how in this map it is pretty polarized -- either almost the entire population is Christian or there are relatively few.