Are there value investors in here?

I'm finding it challenging to keep a level head. I've been taking a value approach (long term holding undervalued assets for the plebs). But I see constant fomo. I see posts EVERYWHERE claiming someone doubled their holdings playing the waves, margin-trading, swing trading, etc. What the fuck? I've been fucking around with a small portion of my portfolio and I have gotten burnt just about every fucking time. Are they lying? Are they Wall Street cucks? I'm making good money value investing but I think I can be making more. Tell me it's a bad idea anons! I think the picture is very appropriate.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/0887305105/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Qw9Lzb3CNDC1N
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

idk have you tried it? i'm a total scrub and i just made a 15% trade in a few hours, only like $20 profit but still. just have to read the market

are you talking about stocks or crypto?

gambling in either is dumb, do index funds for stocks and for crypto get into ico's with good projects.

Trading is a zero sum game. Ive been holding bitcoin since last year, and I plan on holding till 10 years from now. Funds in offline. Also been holding AMD since $2.00

Crypto.

Its just human nature, the people who made a big gain are more likely to gloat about it online while the guy who lost half his fortune in 1 hour prob just looks for his gun

done both, trading stocks feels like dogshit after doubling your money in crypto

>value investing crypto
good luck senpai. BTC will always go up that's for sure, any other alt is a gamble since there are a lot of them who do similar things. Let's say you thought ethereum was going to the moon, neo comes up you get burned a little. That will always happen with every alt, bitcoin is the one that has the possibility to go to the trillions, the others are just overpriced

turned 0.1 btc in to 2.7 btc just 3 DAYS what u think about that my man?

It's a bad idea desu. I wish I had your level of discipline. I could have made so much more in the past month.

It's survivorship bias. Those people are gambling, and just like any gambler, there are a few big winners, but mos people lose out. You just notice the big winners, since everyone else buys $ROPE.

You can partake in it if you want, but don't do more than 5-10% of your portfolio and only if you can afford to lose it.

Well when I was at the hospital a fellow doctor who was formerly a daytrader bought the btc etf. He still thinks bitcoin is gambling because it has no inherent value (which he won't budge on). His loss

>rig odds in your favor and follow strong trends
>set stop at -1%
>set sell at +2%
>even if you lose half the time you gain 50% profit bc gains are double the losses

day trading crypto is a nightmare bc its highly manipulated. better to just buy a big dip and sell the hype. buy BTC after it crashes to low 3000s

the US market is highly overvalued and due for a crash. buy gold and invest in emerging markets if you're thinking long term.

People tend to talk about their gains, not their losses. You only see liars and people embellishing on the Internet for the most part. Every day trader I've known IRL that's speculated with serious money has lost their shirt.

Benjamin Graham himself says it's fine to speculate, but only with a very small percentage of your capital. Using a small sum of money for the opportunity to make life changing returns is a rational decision. Betting your life savings on NEO or something isn't.

Also, keep in mind we've been in a bull market for several years now. Any idiot can make money in a bull market. But you never know when its going to go south. A lot of the people bragging about their gains on the Internet probably weren't in the game in 2008.

Betting your life savings on NEO would have been a wonderful idea pre-hype, not so much right now. NEO will need to see more actual adoption for the price to rise higher. When it was at $7-ish all it needed was the technology to get finished and some announcements and conferences.

I think ARK is a similarly good investment right now. It's gonna get really big in the coming weeks/months as the tech starts to roll out. It's literally an inevitability. If you can afford to risk your life savings (e.g. have a steady job with a pension) then fucking go for it.

Long term value investor here. Mined eth in 2016, blight into several vey profitable ICOs, now heavily invested in ARK and bcc.

I sometimes think maybe I could make more day trading, but then i remember that's not what took my $2k investment and turned it into $75k, so changing up my strategy now seems a bit foolish.

>$2k investment and turned it into $75k
what is the end game here? retire at 104?

Selection bias. You're more likely to brag about gains than losses. Everyone that day trades will lose money on average.

All my gains were from value investing.

I swing/day trade sub-penny stocks traded on the OTC market. Attached is this years performance. On Jan 1, 2017 the account started at ~20k. The account's gross contribution from me are 10k, for the life of the account. The account has netted me ~90k since inception, without a red year, for 6 years. I use the cash to pay for school, that's really the only withdraws.

So yeah. 95% of people will lose money in the stock market no matter what they do. If you're just trying to "pick a stock" and go with it, for no other reason, you're probably going to lose money. You need to have an edge somehow. That's something that I don't like about the big-boards, it's hard to have an edge on anyone when you're competing against billion dollar hedge funds and bots.

I take it you have reported atleast some of your earnings to the IRS? How did they feel about you buying into ICO's

Why do you think Seth Klarman's Margin of Safety goes for $899 on amazon? He shared the banks secrets and it got pulled. Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor amazon.com/dp/0887305105/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Qw9Lzb3CNDC1N

Find a copy online. Value investing beats all other forms of trading because you find a wise investment and hold through the noise.

Precisely. There is A LOT of noise. Crypto is obviously more volatile than just about any investment, ever. It's difficult to process it. It's still a speculators market too. A shit coin pumps and dumps daily, while company's that are concrete and envisioning a future remain stagnant. Just need to find a talented team that looks loyal, a product that will be competitive as the market matures, and listen. I know I can't sit on crypto holds like traditional stocks. A lot can happen. Fast. Ill continue to swing ~10%. Hopefully a hold takes off so that unit value increases quickly.

I believe the gains we see in coins like ETH, NEO, and others are minuscule compared to where they will be in a few years. The average guy can still come in and buy a nice bag. That won't be the case forever. Once we see say NEO hit $100 I think it will hit $1000 far quicker than the stretch to $100.