Premiere of Leningrad symphony

Is there a more powerful "fuck you" in the face of enemy than this?

>The Leningrad première of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 7 occurred on 9 August 1942 during the Second World War, while the city of Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) was under siege by Nazi German forces.

>Despite the poor condition of the performers and many of the audience members, the concert was highly successful, prompting an hour-long ovation. The concert was supported by a Soviet military offensive, code-named Squall, intended to silence German forces during the performance. The symphony was broadcast to the German lines by loudspeaker as a form of psychological warfare. The Leningrad première was considered by music critics to be one of the most important artistic performances of the war because of its psychological and political effects. The conductor concluded that "in that moment, we triumphed over the soulless Nazi war machine".[1] Reunion concerts featuring surviving musicians were convened in 1964 and 1992 to commemorate the event.

>Loudspeakers broadcast the performance throughout the city as well as to the German forces in a move of psychological warfare, a "tactical strike against German morale".[12][35] One German soldier recalled how his squadron "listened to the symphony of heroes".[36] Eliasberg later met with some of the Germans who camped outside Leningrad during the performance, who told him that it had made them believe they would never capture the city: "Who are we bombing? We will never be able to take Leningrad because the people here are selfless".

youtube.com/watch?v=vRHZu5xoIe0

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Army_(Wehrmacht)
youtube.com/watch?v=T0acN2v6aIc
youtube.com/watch?v=po5vTycfZTk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hate commies but respect where respect is due, that's one hell of a move.
A). boosts morale among your own
B). strikes a blow against any percieved high ground your enemy feels they have as you perform art while they make war

Can't say I'm crazy about the piece of music though to be honest, too modern.

>claiming the moral high ground in the face of the enemy

white people

In the Battle of Warsaw in the Polish-Soviet war Soviet communications were borked because the Poles were spamming readings of the Bible in Latin on all the frequencies used by the Red Army.

Must have been pretty spooky.

Guess this is a psyops thread now.

In the Vietnam war there was a woman by the name of Trịnh Thị Ngo, known to the Americans as Hanoi Hannah. She had a show on the NVA's official radio station that consisted entirely of anti-American propaganda, exclusively in English to boot.

>One of her typical broadcasts began as follows: "How are you, GI Joe? It seems to me that most of you are poorly informed about the going of the war, to say nothing about a correct explanation of your presence over here. Nothing is more confused than to be ordered into a war to die or to be maimed for life without the faintest idea of what's going on."

>She made three broadcasts a day, reading a list of newly killed or imprisoned Americans, and playing popular US anti-war songs in an effort to incite feelings of nostalgia and homesickness, attempting to persuade US GIs that the US involvement in the Vietnam War was unjust and immoral.

>US Navy ships and personnel were also targeted in her broadcasts, with Ngọ reading out the names of crew members and saying that they were all going to die.

Battlefield: Vietnam uses some recordings of her show in the soundtrack. It's downright creepy.

And the symphony sucked too, so it must have been specially annoying.

>one
>two
>three
>four
>Every four seconds a German soldier dies in Stalingrad. Stalingrad, mass grave.

Their arrogance was their undoing. They may have been just ordinary soldiers but they served an evil regime that led to their downfall. Out of the 91,000 taken prisoner only 6000 ever made it back to Germany.

poor guys

>They may have been just ordinary soldiers
The 6th Army was a field army unit of the German Wehrmacht during World War II. The 6th Army is still widely remembered for its destruction by the Red Army at the Battle of Stalingrad in the winter of 1942/43. It is also infamous for the war crimes (such as the massacre of more than 30,000 Jews at Babi Yar) it committed under the command of Field Marshal Walther von Reichenau during Operation Barbarossa in 1941.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Army_(Wehrmacht)

"Germans are funny fellows. Coming to conquer Stalingrad in shiny leather boots? They thought it would be a joyride."- Soviet soldier in a letter after the victory of the Red Army at Stalingrad, 1943.

youtube.com/watch?v=T0acN2v6aIc
Still keep it in my quickbar all these years later.

>rising storm 2
>americans are down to their last dozen tickets
>someone is always mic-spamming her
I love it.

I haven't heard this in like over 10 years, looking back though that's actually an incredible mix, way too good just to be known as battlefield menu music

>that's interesting guys but NEVER FORGET that jews died, and that's fat more important than whatever you were talking about

Open borders for Israel

Do ordinary soldiers commit war crimes?

Just northwest of Moscow, the Wehrmacht reached Krasnaya Polyana, little more than 18 mi (29 km) from the Kremlin in central Moscow; German officers were able to make out some of the major buildings of the Soviet capital through their field glasses.

To stiffen the resolve of the Red Army and boost civilian morale, Stalin ordered the traditional military parade on 7 November (Revolution Day) to be staged in Red Square. Soviet troops paraded past the Kremlin and then marched directly to the front.

It's a shame I'm shit at FPSs in general, Rising Storm has been some of my best multiplayer gaming experiences. Being pinned down, half dead on Iwo Jima behind a tiny rock for what felt like hours, hearing bullets fly and seeing people dying all around, then finally seeing flamethrowers clearing the bunkers and getting healed by reinforcements, making successful mass banzai charges and surviving them, or in Red Orchestra 2 holding down a house for a long time, surviving waves after waves of Russians, somehow surviving direct artillery strikes and mowing down those that come after thinking that the place is clear all the while someone plays German marches on voice chat and others encouraging us to hold just a bit longer.

Haven't played Rising Storm 2 yet. Just reminiscing makes me want to play it, even if I know I'll end up at the bottom of the scoreboards 9 times out of 10.

Yes.

I dont feel any sympathy for their death then

You will never know the true genius of Shostakovich unless you have played his music.
youtube.com/watch?v=po5vTycfZTk

>prompting an hour-long ovation.
These typical Russian reactions remind me of those Big Bang Theory greentexts where someone makes a pun and then the crowd starts tearing their eyes out in lovecraftian ecstacy.

At what point did Russia's population change over from hyper-dignified, literature-obsessed musicians rioting over artwork to bydlo orphans huffing paint on the subway?

The 90s

very gaudy
classic stalin move
i can see putin putting on a show like this too

Were there no subways to huff paint in previously?

There were but they'd just send you to gulag for huffing paint.

Do the Russians need the threat of extreme punishment to be a cultured people?

>gulag all uncultured people
>culture flourishes
it's actually pretty straightforward

Don't feel too bad, I'm not much better and still play regularly. There's 64 players so no one is going to care.

Russians were always like that, we just had less access to the particulars of their lives until recently.
The average russian being a drunken layabout was/is a matter of great concern for the russians who were not. Part of Putin's broad appeal is not being a drunken layabout.

I have a feeling that the world in general was much more cultured and refined compared to today, that people were more polite and self-aware. I am probably wrong but still.

Yeah bro you're wrong.
No offense meant by the statement, of course. It's understandable. The big interesting bits of cultural history are not our day to day lives, how we scratch our asses or hire prostitutes. However, for our present that isn't just "interesting bits", that's our actual lives. We experience such more directly than cultural history that we have not lived.

You are way wrong, but I get what you're saying. Back then upper class people all read books and went to the theater, but now they more or less consume the same shit the rest of the classes do.

When communism collapsed because Yeltsin the fucking piece of shit.

Yes. This is part of what Dostoevsky calls "the Russian soul".

this was not genuine

you guys are so naive, it was something that had to be done because some retard who had no problem with food and shelter and so on came up with an idea how to lift the spirit of those who they abandoned, maybe stalin himself

>It is also infamous for the war crimes (such as the massacre of more than 30,000 Jews at Babi Yar) it committed under the command of Field Marshal Walther von Reichenau during Operation Barbarossa in 1941.

which happened by the hands of NKVD as dates and time to do that do not fucking match

And older history tends to be VERY centered around the cultural elite.

The russians back the were probably 1ß times worse than today. Same with all cultures ofc

Gorbachev and Yeltsin destroyed it all for pizza hut

Open borders for Israel but every other country too.

We need international cooperation and codevelopment under a unified democratic system, not a fractured landscape of competing state actors.