mexicolore.co.uk/maya/chocolate/cacao-money
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald
youtube.com/watch?v=BAFSrKqIKdc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here ya go

>muszelki
Are you Hungarian? Polish?

nevermind, google translate tells me it's Polish

Known as tajaderas, this little copper axes were used as coin in the new world civilizations.

Anyone have any of those old Chinese paper money?

How were those made? why are they all oddly shaped?

Its the size of typewriting paper (you need to read it, you see).

This particular one, from the Ming Dynasty, promises 200 Yuan.

another one from Palau

Christ, idiots will buy anything.

Drachma are made of stamped silver.

somalian 3D currency

In Chinese culture, a "String of Cash" = 1000 Bucks.

The term derives from the fact that a thousand coins were transported strung together.

A tael. Which is basically late Imperial Chinese Gold/Silver Bar

DUDE
WATER

>100 million billion note

How do you fuck up that hard?
>1946
Oooooooh.

>talking coins

fucking kek
youtube.com/watch?v=hvWZE-aaGe8

I get why round coins became the norm, what I don't get is why the hole in the middle that you find on chinese coins didn't become more common in other countries and the west in general?

As the second pic shows, it would be much more easier to organize and transport coins by string them together, and even if by a little bit, the hole would save some tiny bit of metal.

For God's sake, I can't imagine carrying stuff like these and on daily tasks.

I think the most common coin among mesoamerican cultures was far more interesting than "piece of metal with funny shape" #2501.

And it's pic related: cocoa beans.

Basically the price of everything could be converted and calculated in cocoa beans, and as example, 1 cocoa bean would be worth 5 jalapeño chillies, or 10 cocoa beans for 1 rabbit. Even the Spaniards adopted them, and exchanged gold and silver coins for cocoa beans.

mexicolore.co.uk/maya/chocolate/cacao-money

>Money literally grew on trees.
>You could literally eat your entire allowance and family savings when on the mood.
>Similarly, your life savings could be a tree growing on the backyard.

million billion pengo is breddy funny to say out loud. Try it you'll have yourself a giggle.

UNICORNS

Nobody carried Taels on daily tasks. It was the Imperial Chinese equivalent of Gold/Silver Bars of various ascending weights sitting in a vault somewhere.

For example, 1 tael (50 grams) of silver is equal to a string of 1000 in cash.

>That'll be two cones and a sphere

Because in the West it remained the norm to make coins out of precious metals, which meant even one coin could have value. In China, they made 'cash' out of base metals, they were a unit of accounting, not an object with inherent value, thus you needed a bazillion of them to buy anything, so the habit of forming them into "strings" became common.

Literally nigger tier. The invention of currency was a huge leap forward that took the Old World out of the poverty of barter systems.

You don't get it, which made me believe you didn't read the article in the link at all.

The cocoa beans were not just one random good to trade for, they were literally the unit of reference to estimate value and do accounting. As the article exposes, tributes were not expressed on a long list of goods and slaves, but in terms of cocoa beans. Also, isn't mentioned in the same article, but for a fact the rulers would have a strict control on how many cocoa trees were out there, so the townsfolk didn't get too much cocoa beans and ruin the economy, or lead to a revolt; or the opposite, too many trees dying and having a scarcity. In other words, while Europeans were still worried about counterfeits and locating new places to exploit gold and silver, Mesoamerica was worrying about inflation and long term investments.

You're the one who doesn't "get it", moron. What you describe is EXACTLY how niggers used cowrie shells.

How would you make sure there are exactly 1000? Did they have coin rulers?

That's the point, dumbass.

Both, cowry shells and cocoa beans were currency, and were ahead of bartering systems, because most of the people within and outside the region agreed on assigning them a value, which would be the reference to exchange other goods, which lead authorities to have a control over them in order to stop counterfeit and scarcity/inflation.

Werther you believe currency can only be applied to bank notes and coins, is irrelevant. Currency, as monetary exchange system, is far more extensive than smalls discs of metal with the face of some guy.

However, given your obsession with niggers, I assume this entire thing is bait, or just /pol/ retardness, so I don't expect you understand at all what I'm talking about.

Oooh Explain the Cash/Cache/Chash(western) coincidence

>using cocoa beans as currency is literally nigger tier
>HURR NO ITS JUST EXACTLY WHAT NIGGERS DID!
>...
>DURR DUMBASS :^)

Is there a point rattling around in that thick skull of yours, or are you just saying that every currency not based on precious metals or government fiat is "nigger-tier" and thus bad?

>largest medieval battle ever
Grunwald involved 70000 tops, large but not the largest. The battle of Ankara between the Ottomans and Timurids had at least 50000 on either side with some estimates putting the Timurids at over 100000, mostly cavalry. Chinese battles were usually on a grand scale. The battles of Yarmouk and the 2nd siege of Constantinople during the muslim conquests likely had over 100000. The battle of Kulikovo between the Russian princes and the Golden Horde was in the same ballpark.

it comes from the Dravidian word kaasu

sounds like bitcoins

Tribute was collected as a collaborative effort by the members of the Triple Alliance every 80 days, 6 months, or 12 months, depending on the goods being collected and the distance that they had to travel. Tribute items typically included warrior costumes and shields, tropical feathers, copal incense, paper, foodstuffs, and animal products. Official tribute collectors, known as calpixque, were located in each of the conquered provinces and ensured that payments were made as required. Researchers have observed that tribute payments were generally reasonable, and were only increased if a region reneged on its tribute obligations.
Local commerce was required to be carried out in large marketplaces known as tianquiztli. The various marketplaces were open once a week on rotating days, although the largest market in Tlatelolco was open on a daily basis. The marketplaces were patrolled by special commissioners who worked to prevent fraud and disturbances. Commercial disputes were settled in the marketplaces through special commercial courts that had the power to impose capital punishment if necessary. Sales were made on cash and credit. While there was no official currency, various goods functioned as money, including cacao grains, small squares of cotton cloth, small nuggets of gold, pieces of tin, and precious feathers.

Good thread.

Which I still find kind of weird.

I mean, we came back to using base metals, like copper or alloys with minimal to no silver or gold to mind coins, but apparently nobody ever though about making coins with the hole in the middle for practical purposes.

With the income of digital currency and on-line transactions, is late to push for a comeback of the doughnut design, so isn't like a big loss. But it still sounds weird.

Weight. Namely they have reference weights for an X amount of cash (usually every 1000s) to which coins would be weighed on a scale against.

Which is why in the late empire, taels became a stand-ins for large amounts of cash and eventually became units of money themselves.

Er its an english translation of the Chinese word 錢 (Qian)

Meaning "Money I presently have right now." Hence "Cash."

This was in contrast to paper money, which was a promissary note and not considered cash at the time.

The US used to have some of the most aesthetic paper currency on the planet.
The new bills are horrid.

Speaking of Chinese money, the meme ancient coins and first paper monies have already been posted.

So have a late Qing Dynasty banknote from 1911.

>that dragon in the middle
Nice.
Somewhat related. I have one of these notes (not my picture). I thought the really long "Hong Kong and Shanghai banking corporation" line at the top was both funny looking and neat.

Some trippy looking Russian currency with a swastika in the middle.

No wonder they stuck with HSBC

>British use the Pound Sterling.
>But their colonies use dollars.
What did they mean by this?

The ones in OP's image seem a little thick compared to the average coin.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald

wikipedia says its the largest battle in european history

*medieval European history

>tfw my boss has a coin collection to fill an entire museum

He just found some old Indian coin (I do not really know the name) that is worth around €1000

its because the spanish dollar was at one point the de-facto international currency, at least in overseas colonies

Wasnt the Spanish money Peso/Peseta/whatever sounds like Pes- or something.

The dutch had a similar coin that they called a Thaler, it was anglicized to dollar and later on when the Spanish Peso became widely used, the colonists still referred to them as dollars because they were very similar to the old dutch coins.

the english word cash comes from the italian cassa (same root as case) which means box and referred specifically to the box money was carried in

when I was in modern china I was surprised by how much they hate change. I thought America was bad for not following Canada's lead in phasing out the 1 dollar bill and forcing everyone to use 1 and 2 dollar coins, but the Chinese don't use change at all. They do have coins even though they're of such small denomination that they're worthless, interestingly though they're made out of aluminum. They also have .5 yuan bank notes which are worth about 7 cents US.

youtube.com/watch?v=BAFSrKqIKdc

Isn't funny when coins are worth for the weight of the metals than their denomination? Where I live, there used to be people who would buy nickel cons by kilo, because melting them and selling the raw material was more profitable.