How historically accurate is Dunkino?

How historically accurate is Dunkino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ships_of_Dunkirk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_French_fleet_in_Toulon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sea_Lion_(wargame)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Didnt watch it, but it probably leave out important facts (like the fact the French were protecting the evacuation the whole time) to focus on Brits getting a few bombs while they sit on the beach

Here's a short documentary that will tell you about the real Dunkirk
youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY

Didn't watch it, but I'm going to take a wild guess that they literally made a film about the battle of Dunkirk without even mentioning French troops.

Well, they managed to make a game about WW1 without mentioning the French, so at this point...

It features French troops...

Watched it yesterday, it shows the French manning a defense against the Germans in the first five minutes and them not being allowed to evacuate (French colonial troops in 1940 France may not have been a thing I'm not sure) with the British till later on when they mention that the French are now evacuating with the Brits.
Not nearly what /pol/ hyped it up to be as Anglo propaganda, a solid film tbqh and the Germans don't really feature till right at the end, it's more just the British soldiers fear and random gunshots.

Yeah, but does it point out the fact they were the ones slowing down the Germans while Brits were sitting on the beach?

Are they all running away from the Nazis while crying and get saved by the heroic Brits?

yes

watch the fucking film

Right at the start the film makes it clear that French troops are the ones slowing the Nazis down.

The French are prominently in it

If you like older epic ww2 movies like The Battle of Britain, you'll like Dunkirk. If you are in anyway a ww2 guy and miss out on this kino in the theaters, you'll regret it when your contrarianism weres off and you watch it on Netflix in a couple of years

I aint givin money to Anglo propaganda

aaannndddd you're absolutely wrong

Pretty arrogant and presumptuous, wtach tthe movie before commenting about presumed inaccuraties

It's a good movie but it's been marred by retardation.

Whether it's bogshits being autistic about "muh anglo propaganda" or retards bickering about a lack of stronk womyn, it's been attacked for daring to glorify Britain.

All in all I guess it's up there among the more "accurate" historical movies, and it's one of the ones I'd certainly say managed to at least portray how the men acted and felt during it.

Movies portraying soldiers as average dudes are always my favourites, it's why I loved '71.

Watched it the other day.
How accurate was the civilian participation?
To me that was the main point of the movie.
You had the soldier on the beach, the pilot, and the civilians in their boat. Eventually all three meet up in the guy's boat and they go home, so what I took away was that the movie's biggest point was how civilians helped out.
If that parts historically accurate, then I think the movie did it fine because that seemed to be the main focus.

>civilian participation
5% evacuated on civilian boats and yachts. A small contribution, but still ballsy as fuck, so credit where due.

It happened but was less important than the film portrayed

I'm not arguing, because I don't know, but I thought the 'small ships' took more than that. Any sources?

Either way that is what makes the story of Dunkirk so appealing, imagine crossing the Channel in a little fishing boat as the Luftwaffe are dropping bombs to grab a few soldiers and bring them to safety.

Makes sense, I figured it didn't have the largest impact since there were so many soldiers and most boats that were depicted were pretty small.

As you said though, ballsy as hell and makes for a good story.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ships_of_Dunkirk

>Didn't watch it
You're in no position to talk then

>but it probably leave out important facts (like the fact the French were protecting the evacuation the whole time) to focus on Brits getting a few bombs while they sit on the beach
The French are depicted defending the town

Please stop talking out of your ass. French troops are in the movie.

>French colonial troops in 1940 France may not have been a thing I'm not sure
Yes they were a thing.

That doesn't back the claim of 5%, in fact it says the Belgian fishing fleet and boats from the Isle of Man Steam Company rescued more than 5% between them before you even start counting the other 'little ships'.

>French colonial troops in 1940 France may not have been a thing I'm not sure
>Yes they were a thing.
Sweet then I have no gripes with the film and it was very good.

Little boats were mostly used to ferry people out to the larger destroyers that couldn't come close to the beach. So it may be that only 5% came back on little boats, but that's not the whole story

Obviously it isn't the whole story. It was the 5% claim I queried.

Little boats were mostly used to ferry people out to the larger destroyers that couldn't come close to the beach. So it may be that only 5% came back on little boats, but that's not the whole story

Why are you repeating yourself? I find this annoying and unnecessary when I largely agreed with your initial point but queried a point of fact, which you then posted a citation which said you were wrong.

It's okay just to admit you were wrong rather than coming up with """arguments""" off the top of your head.

god I hope it has a strong female and a tolken minority in it

There were no nigger units at dunkirk

I presume you're talking about Battlefield 1. The French army were added in the first expansion pack. The only reason they weren't in it from day one is because the US and UK are bigger markets.

Didn't add any campaign segments for them though

>The French army were added in the first expansion pack

Which is inacceptable, as the French were the most important nation on the Entente side

>Insulting a movie you haven't watched

Hello /tv/

BRAVO NOLAN

Thank you. I often come on Veeky Forums to argue against people that unfairly misrepresent and criticise the films I have directed. It's nice to see that someone finally appreciates my efforts.

Literally the closest it comes is a woman standing on a boat like a human figurehead and some french african troops trying to evacuate with the british but being told they can't.

Oh, and a woman telling the men the way to the ship's hold.

Btw while you're here, can you explain us why does Cooper meet with his grandmother at the end of Interstellar?

>took the brunt of the invasion
>most of the biggest fight (marne,champagne,ypres,artois,verdun,soome) was on their soil
>100 years later you are put in the sideline and is equated with cowardice

>fighting on your own soil
>not a sign of failure and cowardice

you are an excellent troll i got very mad

I can't see how on the Earth you can relate it to cowardice
It can indeed mean failure, though in this case, it was more related to the fact the Germans were the ones who started the war by surprise, and kept advancing until the French could get their shit together and stop them at the First Marne

At least they died defending their homeland. Hundreds of thousands of British soldiers died in French mud they couldn't give one whit about.

They died for their "empire" (which still collapsed a couple of decade later regardless)

I thought it was a great film. As far as I know there were many little boats but they did a lot of ferrying from the beach to bigger ships. There were a few larger barges (basically party boats from before the war) that helped too. Also there were very very few people who drove their own boats, that was obviously included in the movie for the story

Also, lmao at the dumb frogs in this thread criticizing the movie without even seeing it, bravo Pierre, I will make sure I remember your country's greatest defeat with better clarity

then pirate it fag

Yes there were

>pirating movies when streaming exists

>suprise
Do you now know of the phoney war where for 8 months France advanced up to the Siegfried line and stopped and did nothing while Germany focused on Poland
There was no surprise German offensive France and England just sucked and couldn't man a defense after 8 months of waiting for an attack

>giving money to streaming services who pay to license "anglo propaganda"

when is summer over?

>not downloading a movie and keeping it forever more instead of letting some fat cunt in a movie studio's anti piracy divison take down the film

Not to mention the British only had a small roll in many of the battles they get nearly full credit for.

At least they featured the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

And it has a 5/5 Bretty Good musical score.

That's exactly why I havent watched it, even in streaming

>many
name some?

They even featured fucking Bedouins and Harlem noggers rather than the French
That's how bad Anglo hate frogs

First Marne, Ypres...etc

Don't forget the FUCKING I*ALIANS (Charges Isonzo) and T*RKS

Nearly every major battle on the Western front that featured British troops.

I'll give you Ypres, but really the only other battle that is in the public British consciousness is the Somme, because it was so incredibly destructive for us. Furthermore, Verdun is the significant French battle for us. I think most would struggle to name any other battles frankly.

>Anglo
>Swedish company

Hmmmm...

EA is an American company
It's not Dice (Swedes) that decided the entire game would revolve around Bongs
It's EA, Americans love believing all of history before WW2 is about their precious Brits

The Somme was also a significant French battle
Reminder that technically more French troops than British ones fought in that battle (there were roughly the same number of British Empire and French troops, but half British Empire forces were from the Commonwealth, while almost all French ones were from Mainland France)

Yes but in terms of direct combat the British were more involved, i'm sure you know the British suffered 200,000 more casualties than the French.

>Being so butthurt about nigel you have to shitpost about burgers as a proxy
kekked and checked

Maybe, but the French inflicted heavier casualties to the Germans than the British, and while losing less troops

Typical white behavior:
> Before the battle
Let's all go fight as one unified nation!
> During the battle
You negroes hold the line - we'll be back with reinforcements
> After the battle
Safe again at home. Wait, am I forgetting something?
> History books
Black troops? What black troops?

No wonder you call us stupid. We keep falling for this bullshit.

It's by EA. They charge a shit ton for the expansion pack and it's usually suppose to be the best content of the game anyways.

>Didnt watch it, but
Stopped reading there tbqh

>half

source

you're mixing up your world wars, dumdum

what is a good book about Dunkirk?

Give at least 3 examples of this happening, and prove that their being left was racially motivated.

I'll wait.

barely, the uniforms and VAs were german copy paste. There was less effort put into the austrians than the US noggers

It is very important that this movie is seen in a movie theater

pls respond

This honestly, to get the full effect. I saw it yesterday and found it to be a very well made and realistic portrayal of triumph from tragedy, cowardice and courage, selfishness and sacrifice, the worst and best in humanity when against the ropes. Watching it I couldn't find anything that would be considered inaccurate, it wasn't glorifying the British or denigrating the French, it was simply telling the story of defeated men trying to escape death or capture from a seemingly unstoppable foe, and the lengths they and others went to make it happen.

I do wonder though if Nolan putting Tom Hardy in a mask again was at least partly influenced by Bane-posting, I mean he was literally crashing planes with no survivors.

The Brits are niggers of Europe.

>tbqh
stopped reading right there

It ends with Tom Hardy crashing a plane and getting caught was part of his plan.

Everything before that was boring desu.I was expecting Dunkirk to be about a fighting retreat of french and british to the beach followed by the evacuation.

But the ending was aesthetic as fuck.

>spitfire runs out of fuel
>shoots down down a kraut plane
>lands on the beach against the backdrop of a sunset
>pilot lights his plane on fire and watches it burn
>the pilot looks at the seawall and sees krauts emerging from the horizon
>fug...

especially on 70mm
dunkirk won't have half the impact when viewed on some shitty little chinkphone with tinny speakers or some basic bitch asus monitor
>those gunshot sounds
>that TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK

>but it probably leave out important facts (like the fact the French were protecting the evacuation the whole time)
The beginning of the movie shows the French holding positions in the streets while sarcastically saying Bon Voyage to the Brit he's supposed to die to protect.

WHAT

IS

A

GOOD

BOOK

ABOUT

DUNKIRK

Dunkirk by Prof. Kirk Dunn.

Saw it yesterday, movie was great. I really hope this will kickstart a new era of world war 1 & 2 movies or series focusing on the European theatre. Battle for Britain, El Alamein, maybe even the Russian front. So sick of 90% of the genre being about the holocaust or American battles.

>like the fact the French were protecting the evacuation the whole time

They don't

>I do wonder though if Nolan putting Tom Hardy in a mask again was at least partly influenced by Bane-posting, I mean he was literally crashing planes with no survivor

I think this had more to do with Tom being able to convey emotions while wearing a mask more so than any meme reason.

SPOILER ALERT!!!
because that scene where hes running low on fuel but he also sees that german bomber going in for the kill on that ship, you can see him debating his choice of saving himself or the ship just by his eyes

this. Its quiet when it needs to be and loud as fuck when it needs to be. It doesnt make the mistake of always being loud because war

I always enjoy WWII films about the British, because the ungrateful French always bitch and moan.
It's all well and good moaning about the British 'deserting' and 'running away', but let's turn it around for a second... why is there so little said by the French about the Vichy regime? Why is nothing said about the millions of French alive today who fought for, or are descended from people who fought for, Nazi beliefs and ideology?

>I always enjoy WWII films about the British, because the ungrateful French always bitch and moan.

I've never seen the French whine about WW2 films
Generally, it's more about WW1 products that they're assmad of seeing less relevant Brits getting more representation

That being said, with that particular WW2 movie, their buttpain is justified as it takes an event in which pathetic Brits cowered and had their arses saved by frogs, and try to turn it into a glorious moment for Brits

>why is there so little said by the French about the Vichy regime?

Btw that's true
For exemple, very few people know that Vichy literally saved Britain's asspussy from German invasion by scutteling its huge fleet rather than letting it fall to German hands

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_French_fleet_in_Toulon

How in the fuck did Hollywood and the BBC let Christopher Nolan not cast Beyonce as Winston Churchill?

>inb4 Nolan suicided

>Ypres
>their soil
user...

A spitfire circling the beach, shooting down an enemy plane and then landing safely seemed a little bit bullshit. But the rest seemed reasonable.

Movie was like a documentary without a narrator. I kind of feel like a narrator would have made for an interesting addition. Also kudos for not playing bs identity politics and just representing the mostly truth.

The spitfire having no fuel and doing so that is.

lmao.
Even with the French fleet there is zero way Sea Lion was ever a success.
They would never have gotten out of the Mediterranean, and if they had they would have been annihilated by the RAF and the Home Fleet.

you need to listen to the hour long episode of opie and anthony where patrice oneal talks about how hollywood works. Nolan is at a level now where he can fight the machine and do whatever he wants

Operation Sea Lion never stood a chance( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sea_Lion_(wargame) ) even with the French Fleet user, WW2 is not nearly as close run a thing as both the Allies and Axis make it out to be, the Nazis take France and then whatever they do afterwards is just postponing the inevitable Soviet military and American manufacturing onslaught, both would have eventually got involved against the Germans. Just wasted planes in the battle of Britain and strengthened British resolve.