The decadence of the West

Can we discuss this topic? Both from Spengler's view and any other postures which are also welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3721991/China-develop-genetically-enhanced-superhumans-experts-predict.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not just the west but society as a whole

Kali-Yuga

Decadence is very useful. Any civilization that reaches its decadent stage produces art and technology.

Anything about decadence outside the West? Genuinely interested

Adorno.

Consumerist culture is eroding traditional Western culture.

Technology is a deal with the devil. It's not called Faustian civilization for nothing.

Also decadent stage art is dogshit.

>Also decadent stage art is dogshit.

Really? So art from the last 200 years is dogshit?

What book?

Ancient Egypt was pretty fucking decadent?

Pederasty in feudal Japan maybe?

>tfw everything you lurve is a surrogate activity
going camping 4ever

I meant if there are any authors/works/etc about decadence in the East nowadays

Do we have any "oriental Spengler"?

Dialectic of Enlightenment

Biased views. Heavenly romanticized and deeply cemented on positivist views.

Nothing of value, really.

>I miss the days were everyone would die at young age, be executed without a proper defense, be judged by the Church and sent to war for no reason, at least the music was nice

Probably some philosophers??idk

Wasnt it buddha who left his rich home

Thanks

Unironically yes.

Pre-industrial folk culture absolutely blows modern culture out of the water. Culture should be an organic outgrowth of the people as a whole, not something manufactured by professionals. When culture gets professionalized in this way it becomes absolutely worthless.

Actually, in Spenglers usage (frequently ignored by /pol/fags) decedance is when a culture stops producing new art. They just kind of go threw the motions and play with ideas and themes they've had before.

>implying the present isn't romanticized and positivist too

Literally everyone thinks they are a superhero today, and will have the life they dreamed of when they were a child, when the reality is that they will die at 70 with no children(because women don't have children anymore), working in retail whilst being excessively nihilistic and detached from everyone around them

At least people 150 years ago had purpose.

If this is the decline phase, then who is the Caesar equivalent?

>Unironically yes.

Well then you're either ignorant about art or you don't care.

Either way you should probably not having opinions about it if you don't want to look like an idiot.

Not an argument.

>When culture gets professionalized in this way it becomes absolutely worthless.
Agreed. Hollywood is the best example

Neither is "decadent stage art is dogshit" because some early 20th century writer said so.

You're right, but the elaboration that followed when prompted is. You might think it's not a good argument and if so you should explain why AKA make an argument.

In any case
>You're just ignorant
Is a top-drawer non-argument.

The part you want to read the most is Culture Industry. It's the most comprehensible too.

>positivist=/=optimistic

All things you mentioned (nihilism, no purpose, etc) are the exactly opposite of it.

I will take you are not familiar with Positivism overall, so I will that one slide, for the rest -

>Literally everyone thinks they are a superhero today
Alexander the great believed he was nu-Hercules, without even counting all the royals that legitimately believed they were descent from gods
>when the reality is that they will die at 70 with no children(because women don't have children anymore
Big slippery slope. Some minor parts of Europe does not reflect the rest of the world when it comes to having babies. Considering the HUGE amounts of people the world is concentrating, maybe it's not that bad idea to live a life without having children.
>being excessively nihilistic and detached from everyone around them
Because of the lack of war/major conflict for middle-class in the late 40 years, we are getting more and more optimistic about everything, to the point of sounding childish and immature, even. The 19th century was way more nihilistic and distant, in that regard.
>At least people 150 years ago had purpose.
Having a purpose is different from being told what you are supposed to do. Plato ponders about the purpose of life since day one, and 150 years ago we had Existentialism and Nihilism. Exactly same things you named that doomed the West

I'll just leave this here

>Considering the HUGE amounts of people the world is concentrating, maybe it's not that bad idea to live a life without having children.

Shut the fuck up nihilist.

>We need more and more people populating the world, or else our race will get EXTINCTED!
>No! NO! Not niggers/muslims/arabs/jews, only MY PEOPLE!!!

Every time.

I didn't say that faggot.

But don't think for a second that your neighbor is analogous to your potential children. That's asinine.

Just because other people are having children, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

But I mean, if you want to jerk off, shitpost and be alone until you die, be my guest.

You act like everything you just said is a good thing?

Not really, just not "decadent", since it implies we had a perfect golden age, which is nothing but cherry picking on romanticized accounts of the past

Yes, in many aspects our culture suck, but at least we can Google search a book in 4 seconds and read it in .pdf, instead of dying without even being able to read.

>Yes X does suck, but at least we can Y.

People 150 years ago probably said the exact same thing.

>Not really, just not "decadent", since it implies we had a perfect golden age, which is nothing but cherry picking on romanticized accounts of the past
Goddamnit, is no one going to talk about Spengler in a Spengler thread?

Why does he say Russia is a different civilization that is held back by copying Western civilization?

Spengler, more like Asperger, amirite?

Indeed, which proves that every decade or so have it's pro and cons, putting them side by side is false equivalency and a easy end to "my culture > your culture" or "old times > recent times".

Fear of change is what I call the "decadence" theory circle-jerk

I've also read "man and technics" or whatever it's called and I'd say it's complementary to Decadence, albeit his conclusion is kinda /pol/ tier as he says that technologies will destroy the West because the "coloured races" will appropiate them and destroy the West by using them

>So art from the last 200 years is dogshit?
It actually is. Actors and comedians were socially on par with prostitutes during the middle ages, today people worship them like they're god.

Nailed it.

But that's already happening.
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3721991/China-develop-genetically-enhanced-superhumans-experts-predict.html

Would a decadent society not then be one where the cons outweigh the pros compared to most other decades of a society? Rome, Greece, they became very decadent towards the end of their golden civilizations. Not all change is for the better, but things do seem to work themselves out in the end, usually. Personally, I look through history and I see Europeans have historically pushed for the principles I hold dear. Things that aren't in less well to do nations. This is the reason I feel compelled to keep my heritage alive. Someone else btw.

Probably a little early for Ceasar. Check back in 20 years.

We can probably see a military takeover after Trump finishes his term. Actually I'm pretty much betting on it.

>At least people 150 years ago had purpose.
What makes you think that?

I love spengler but academia believes he is too esoteric and non scientific.
Anyway, what would be Latin America? An offshot of Faustian civ like the US?

(((academia)))

The academia is decadent as well

The academia also thinks it's okay to treat a form of body dysphoria with cutting off your cock and chemically castrating yourself.

>Considering the HUGE amounts of people the world is concentrating, maybe it's not that bad idea to live a life without having children.

inb4 someone calls me a stormfag, but you know most of the world's overpopulation is coming from Africa, India, and China right? If you're European or American you really can't use that as an excuse for not having kids.

If everyone thought like you, we wouldn't have the likes of Bach (inb4 Bach is pre-industrial, yeah but we was still a professional musician), Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, Wagner, Grimes, Joyce, Dickens, Hemingway, Brando, Scorsese, Coppola, and many others. Honestly tell me you want that.

>Veeky Forums is anti intellectual

Do you base all your knowledge on Dan Carlin podcasts?

>Being against the academic establishment is being anti-intellectual

Almost everyone on your list is pre industrial m8

They're professional artists, many of them from within the past 200 years. According to user that makes them dogshit because they didn't write folk masterpieces like "Pop Goes the Weasel."

>He hated the academia
What other options do we have?

>I'm an autodidact
Are you also smart but lazy?

all you have to do is ban birth control and abortions desu

>stage 1: denial

Should I read Dalrymple?

People in the Middle-Ages also believed that cats were evil and witches were real.