Why is WW2 so fascinating?

why is WW2 so fascinating?

For me:
-A E S T H E T I C as all fuck
-MASSIVE war (the whole world except Antarctica it seems)
-Battles so big they had their own battles
-Clear and tangible and rapid progression of killing technology
-Quintessential good vs evil
-Heroes on both sides (Pottery)
-great records available still
-Goldmine for the autistic that likes numbers (KstN, Shtaty, TO&E, Kill ratio, numbered divisions/regiments full etc)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
youtube.com/watch?v=oP8Nxj_lpLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was objectively the best war in history, both aesthetically and numerically, and set the stage for modern civilization. Anyone who disagrees is a hipster contrarian who thinks Age of Empires is entertaining.

Literally R*ddit: the post

>Quintessential good vs evil
Gave me a good chuckle.

t. Unironic samefag with no taste

>brainlet newfag redditor doesn't know what post count is

i made a mistake pls no bully im UTI

World War 1 was better

shit thread but takani is the GOAT

It's polarizing for me, since there's so many normies and retards who have an absolutely babby-tier understanding of the war fed by their high school history class, pop culture, and a few games of HOI4, and are obsessed with shitting up the board with their talking points
>what if hitler did x
>didn't listen to his generals
>muh general winter
>human waves uraa xDD
>le k/d ratio
>muh rommel
>should have gone for suez
>DO IT AGAIN
>if the germans had x weapon would they have won the war
>poor innocent japanese being forced to bomb pearl harbor by the oil blockade
But at the same time it's one of the most well-documented conflicts in history and there's mounds of primary sources and great academic works on the subject.

>so Hitler is defeated, what happens to the Japs?
>oh, uh... America was working on a secret superweapon and Japan surrenders when they start using it to like blow up entire cities lol
lazy writing tbqh

>k/d ratio
This is the most imbecilic argument of them all even outside of WW2. I never really understood the logic behind it, war isn't a CoD game where you have to have more frags than your enemy in order to win.

WWI was so quintessentially A E S T H E T I C in regards to:

>Horses becoming obsolete
>Scientists ruling the battlefield with experimental gas and weapons
>Airplanes for the first time
>The consequences were never the same
>WWII started because of butthurt over Treaty of Versailles

So I lump them together can call the two world wars the most aesthetic 1st and 2nd act of the coming of age of modern warfare. There's a shit ton of reasons to find WW1 and 2 fascinating as fuck, and as someone mentioned earlier, there's just so much material.

Because it's not about analyzing a war; it's about showing that the guys you like are better than the guys you dislike, and that your super-soldiers are better and only lost because they got swarmed under and it isn't their fault.

Well he's not wrong, the allies were pure evil

A WAR TO END ALL WARS

I'm very much sympathetic to WW2 Germany, especially when contrasted to the USSR. I still don't buy the k/d horseshit, it's something only Americans ever mention.

Still not as bad as the cliffhanger ending about the Soviets becoming the new bad guys, still waiting on that sequel

Because we Americans had the best seat in the war. No harm done to us (ONE naval base excl. civvies) while we got to have fun and fight. Must be sad associating war with dread.

t. Unironically works at Boeing

It was the last large scale war we witnessed on this planet. And it shaped the world we live in today.
So naturally we all still study it closely.

WWI was a horrid war. I don't envy anyone who fought in it.
You're right about the aesthetics though.

>>poor innocent japanese being forced to bomb pearl harbor by the oil blockade
I still don't understand how anybody believes this. Even fucking Stefan Molyneux uses this retarded "argument"

WW1 is the best in Grimdark Dieselpunk aesthetics.

>stopping a mass genocidal attempt at a European superpower which we know is never a good idea
>evil

WW1 is undoubtedly more influential on the world we live in today.

No it wasn't. WWII literally shaped the world we live in today. America being a superpower is directly correlated with it's post WWII posterity.

Don't forget the widespread usage of methamphetamines.

The Bolshevik Revolution, Fascism, Nazism all happened because of WW1.

You forgot to mention that it still has living veterans

Not him, but you can say that decolonialism, the Cold War, nuclear research and weapons, a sense of technology being the arbiter of military success, American interventionism, and the rise of China all stem from WW2.

Quite honestly, saying either of them are clearly more important than the other is stupid, a lot will hinge around what you think is more important in a macrohistorical context.

Only the Nazis had aesthetics.

>>Horses becoming obsolete
Nope. False. Horses were still heavy relied upon even into WWII. Wehrmacht logistics relied on horses.

>one part of history lead into another
woah dude no way you just blew my mind

I disagree. American WWII aesthetics were also top tier.
Maybe German tanks were 10/10 aesthetic but America had the planes.

Communism lasted 74 years.

Good for you /leftypol/
I'll still take freedoms and burgers over potatoes and starvation.

Attributing a political leaning to my post, now... Enjoy your freedoms, I'm done talking with you.

Good. You had nothing to say anyways.

And Japan had the ships.

False

>had
hue

I've been on meth a few times. not crystal meth, just some shit ive snorted.

its a hell of a drug.

It really is.

God, I love the F4U.

WW1 crushed the power of monarchy. Before WW1 Europe was ruled by emperors and hereditary aristocracy. After WW1 democratic republics and constitutional monarchies (with kings with very little power) became the most common systems of government (they soon transformed into dictatorships, but most dictators were not part of the old aristocracy).

WW1 ended a system that existed in Europe for more than 1000 years.

Why are you trying so hard to be an unfriendly cunt?

Though I think the Spit is still the best looking plane of the war.

>Wasp Carrier

A Universal Carrier converted into a flamethrower tank by the Canadians.

Wasps firing during the Scheldt Campaign.

Returning the favor lefties have shown me.
I've been called a stormfag like six time today for daring to disagree with them.

“After flying the P-38 for a little over one hundred hours on combat missions it is my belief that the airplane, as it stands now, is too complicated for the ‘average’ pilot,” wrote Rau. “I want to put strong emphasis on the word ‘average,’ taking full consideration just how little combat training our pilots have before going on operational status.”

Rau wrote that he was being asked to put kids fresh from flight school into P-38 cockpits and it wasn’t working. He asked his boss to imagine “a pilot fresh out of flying school with about a total of twenty-five hours in a P-38, starting out on a combat mission.” Rau’s young pilot was on “auto lean and running on external tanks. His gun heater is off to relieve the load on his generator, which frequently gives out (under sustained heavy load). His sight is off to save burning out the bulb. His combat switch may or may not be on.” So, flying along in this condition, wrote Rau, the kid suddenly gets bounced by German fighters. Now he wonders what to do next.

“He must turn, he must increase power and get rid of those external tanks and get on his main [fuel tank],” Rau wrote. “So, he reaches down and turns two stiff, difficult gas switches (valves) to main, turns on his drop tank switches, presses his release button, puts the mixture to auto rich (two separate and clumsy operations), increases his RPM, increases his manifold pressure, turns on his gun heater switch (which he must feel for and cannot possibly see), turns on his combat switch and he is ready to fight.” To future generations this would be called multi-tasking, and it was not what you wanted to be doing when Luftwaffe fighters were pouring down on you.

“At this point, he has probably been shot down,” Rau noted, “or he has done one of several things wrong. Most common error is to push the throttles wide open before increasing RPM. This causes detonation and subsequent engine failure. Or, he forgets to switch back to auto rich, and gets excessive cylinder head temperature with subsequent engine failure.”

Not the best looking for me, but it's up there.

Don't forget the control issues it had when it went into a dive and couldn't pull back up because it's stick was locked.
Still it managed to kill a high level Japanese admiral or two.

What's the best looking for you? Hopefully not pic related.

I really dig the classic lines of the Bf-109
>inb4 we start comparing variants of the 109 and the spitfire against each other
yes I know the spitfire out paced it pretty well in the upgrades department. But if we are just talking about looks...

The last thing I want to do is get into an endless pissing contest over aircraft specs. I prefer the looks of the earlier 109s to the later ones.

Least aesthetic plane

Eastern Front was pretty fucked up. There was no clear good or bad. Yes Germany was trying to invade and destroy the Soviets, but the Soviets were no saints either. Lots of crimes were committed by both sides. I think Eastern Front must be one of the worst places to be in human history.

But was it as bad as the western front during WWI?

the gas mask is peak aesthetics.

Same.
But, I prefer the looks of the later Spits to the early ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

A E S T H E T I C

its the great tragedy of the 20th century.

>man tries to warn the world about jews
>everyone gangs up on him
>less than a hundred years later the UK, US, france, and germany are becoming third world hellholes that are slaves to a jewish ethnostate

youtube.com/watch?v=oP8Nxj_lpLk

WWII is the most entry level war. Pleb tier war.

>it's popular therefore it's bad
Veeky Forums hipsters are the worst

Hellcat is best plane.