What does his think of reenactments? They seem quite stupid...

What does his think of reenactments? They seem quite stupid. They can never portray the largest parts of war which are the anguish, extreme suffering, death, destruction, and trauma. They also hardly ever have proportionate numbers of soldiers. WW2 events will always have 4 to 5 times as many Germans as Allies and Civil War events always have more Confederates than Union soldiers. This was hardly ever the case in real life. It's supposed to be about "educating" the public but what do they really learn? As seen last year when a German unit held a winter event in a German restaurant in Minneapolis. They simply had a private dinner event in which they dressed up in Nazi uniforms and ate German food. Also worth mentioning is the fact that many of these guys are fatasses. The Germans were some of the best soldiers of the war, hardly any of them would have ever been overweight, much less obese.

People do it for fun, stop judging people for their hobbies.

I enjoy them if done correctly to see fighting tactics and vehicles of the time period. Most reenactments are simply guys running about and shooting blanks at each other. I own many original and reproduction ww2 items including a k98 and appreciate reenactments on this level. But acting as though they are realistic is quite absurd.

>pew pew pew
>I GAWT YOU
>NUH UH
>DID TOO
>PROVE IT
>WAHHHH HE ISNT FOLLOWING THE RULES AND I GOT MY $5000 REPLICA CLOTHES RUINED!!!!
Literal man children

I've heard vietnam reenactors tend to be much more legit about it.

Without reenactors, the movie Gettysburg would have been all shitty CGI.

The downside is that the guys don't really look as lean and mean as the real soldiers would have been, but it's still better for the crowd shots.

It helps plenty of people learn about history by either providing them a visual or sparking a greater interest. You are somehow more of an autist than reenactors,

Its just a fun LARPing thing for seniors/retirees.

It's a helpful visual aid for people wanting to learn about history

I always divide reenactors on two groups

LARP-ers, often fatases who want to play war, and reenact for childish fun, ignoring hardships of real combat

And the real, based reenactors, who often aim at reenacting history as much accurate as possible, treat it as a serious hobby, not an excentric childplay. They want to educate people and spread their history passion on others

I find them distasteful.

Often times you have people LARPing as the oppressors of their own ancestors.

Datalog
Date 14.3.6a

Researchers from the university of Ptolmey-Ra have uncovered further evidence of a late cultural phenomenon within the pre-crisis era of the American Republic. In regional ancestor-worship cults, groups of young to middle aged men would gather to reproduce historical battles of great importance and to venerate their ancestors.
Anthropologists at Babylon on Thames believe that these cultural events were designed to honour the traditions and battles of their ancestors as to provide good luck in battle and life, and as a general tribute to the gods.
But an alternate hypothesis from the University of Mars suggests that the American Republic held these events not as veneration of their ancestors but as a warrior tribe group learning activity, in order to impart vital information of battle, which over time grew to become a cultural event rather than a pragmatic one as it started (or a religious/cultural one as hypothesised by the Babylon team).
Further research into the late American Republic pre-crisis era looks promising as a major calamity event at the Manhatten Fallout Zone has been discovered.

It's escapism for these people, and yes they deserve to be mocked for it.

It's pretty fun, I'm a craftsman at a few local re-enactments and it feels great to teach some kids a little about period trade skills. It doesn't hurt that I can sell my shit as well and make some of the gas money back. The one thing that bugs me is overly autistic owners who will shout your head off over one minor detail that you overlooked that they believe will ruin the immersion of the visitors (glasses are one of these details, lots of organizers will get upset if you come without expensive replica frames even though I know that nobody else gives a damn). Don't know much about battle re-enactments, but they don't seem like they would be all that fun to me for a reason I can't point out.

Your first mistake is thinking that reenactment only revolves around war and battle.

Did Romans already have puttees, or is what he's wearing something else?

Jung said that reenactements in USA are a characteristic of the negro soul of white americans because it's a primitive thing

I don't like reenactments of battles so much, because they take a huge amount of coordination which, if it isn't there, can make the reenactment look kind of dumb; shortages of people also make battle reenactments look dumb. Unless organized very well (like by movie studios like Bondarchuk's films), reenactments should be limited to things like military camps to showcase how the soldiers of the time would have lived, rather than fought.

This.

I am a reenactor.
AMA.

The trick is to choose an obscure era so that you won't attract fatties or weirdos

16th century Ireland represent

What era?

20th century.
WW1 Russian Imperial Army
WW2 Red Army and Navy

I haven't done much displays because of life in the way.

Where are you from? Seems like you reenact unusual settings (at least where i'm from)

Do you just wear a potato sack and starve to death in the woods for a day?

I'm from the USA, specifically from Kansas where doing Russian anything rare unless you go to the bigger cities. Where I'm at, it's rare.