"Hey user I'm going on a mission trip!"

>"Hey user I'm going on a mission trip!"
>"Cool, what're you doing there!"
>"We get to ride on a jungle boat tour and pet some trained elephants!"
>"That's cool, but I meant what mission work are you doing?"
>"Oh, we're gonna see which village needs the most aid and send them money."
>"So... you're going on a vacation and then sending them church funds afterwards?"
>"Well, we're also there to spread the word..."

Why are Christians in the US so radically materialist and why do they think this bullshit qualifies as "mission work"?

Other urls found in this thread:

forward.com/news/311662/leader-of-christian-zionists-named-head-of-adelson-campus-anti-bds-group/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sounds like you're just mad you don't get to pet some trained elephants

/thread

Pretty much. I want that BET in me.

Big Elamite Titties?

Baptist's Evangelical Truth

>Baptist
I'm sorry user, but you've picked the wrong denomination. It was actually the Jehova's Witnesses that have the correct interpretation of the word of god.

t. lives in baptists shithole flyover
meanwhile Mormon go on 2 year missions trips to foreign nations

I got you

>pay thousands of dollars for plane tickets
>locals get a house built by a bunch of 16 year olds
>local carpenter starves right before the house falls under its own weight
g-god bless

This, but unironically.

Because middle-American suburban culture. It's not just Christians who do this. You see high schoolers and so-called "left-wing" groups go to Guatemala or some place and pretend to build houses, then the natives fix all their fuck ups and congratulate them for being so helpful and please get the fuck out of our country. Then they go home and gush about how globally conscious they are. It's the same phenomenon. Bored suburban kids who want to feel good about themselves without actually doing anything helpful.

The funny thing is, most of these kid "missionaries" are so theologically illiterate that the overseas churches they're going to serve would probably excommunicate them.

Because American (((Christianity))) is literally just judaism for goyim cattle.
>support Israel no matter what, Jesus wants you to donate your money to some terrorist regime that loathes you, goy!
>circumcize your kids even though New Testament specifies it's not only not needed but actually pretty bad for a Gentile since then you have to follow the whole law
>worship mammon and have theological concepts like prosperity gospel where you literally have to beg God to give you cash even thought the New Testament preaches that poverty is a virtue that builds strong character
>do a ton of feelgood shit in public (public prayers, fraudulent charities) and keep sinning in private even though Jesus said this is a sure way to secure yourself a one way ticket to hell

But I was with your mom last night

This is actually partially true.

Disclaimer- this is from Forward, a Jewish website for Jews.

forward.com/news/311662/leader-of-christian-zionists-named-head-of-adelson-campus-anti-bds-group/

>Billionaire Sheldon Adelson’s new campus operation to defend Israel has picked David Brog, the head of the largest Christian Zionist organization, as its first leader.
>Brog, executive director of Christians United for Israel, will head the Campus Maccabees, a new multi-million dollar group funded by Adelson and fellow billionaire Haim Saban. The new organization’s mission will be to fight efforts on college campuses to promote the movement to boycott, divest from or sanction Israel. An official announcement is expected next week, but two sources closely informed of the campus group’s decision-making process have confirmed the information to the Forward.
>CUFI’s founder and leader, evangelical pastor John Hagee, has expressed support for Jewish settlements in the West Bank and has argued against the division of the Holy Land in order to create a two-state solution. In a Forward op-ed, however, Hagee made clear that regardless of his personal opinion, CUFI “will never oppose Israeli efforts to advance peace.”
>Campus Maccbees, launched last month in Las Vegas, is expected to be the best funded pro-Israel organization on campus, with initial funding reaching $50 million. The organization wishes to begin its activity as early as this fall, a deadline that will require Brog to leave his position at CUFI on a short notice, most likely right after the conclusion of the group’s annual Washington summit next week.

>ywn act out your hannibal fantasy and ride an elephant

Americans aren't Christians

>smug fat kid

That's actually a crop of a woman.

What did he mean by this?

And?

This, but for university applications.

>houses my high school pals built on a mission trip in Kenya apparently collapsed after six months
>houses my mom built in Botswana by herself during her charitable hermit phase 20 years ago still have people living in them as of last year
What do these church organisations and stuff do wrong that my mom did right?

Botswana and Kenya are two different countries, with Botswana being more stable than Kenya.

Lmao, those fucks even get to spend the church's money to go to Jerusalem because it's THE Holy City, when all they do is just regular tourism.

Fucking evangelicals god damnit, their churches are just social clubs with shitty music.

this

>anecdote somehow describes the entirety of a group
Try to think before you speak

A lot of church groups embezzle funds for what are essentially vacations.

A lot=\=all

you = autistic

The problem still stands when a majority of christian groups abuse the social power they hold for materialistic pursuits.

You=fedora
>majority
And of course it's a problem. But it's absurd to accuse all Christians, or even all American Christians, of doing that.

Not just Christian groups, but NGOs in general. Take for instance my cousins who are doctors: they helped deliver anti-malarial and anti-biotic drugs in Africa, but otherwise they were essentially on a luxury cruise ship for the overwhelming majority of their mission. Of course, delivering drugs to Africa doesn't even solve the underlying issues of foreign dependency in Africa either, indeed it may compound it as now there are more mouths to feed, boy do they feel good about themselves.

These are just temporary missions for kids and young adults. How they are actually helping is building a human connection and showing potential converts their empathy, and help the local economy by employing locals to build new structures and infrastructure.

I doubt you ever been on a real missions. My church's youth group got to spend the last day at a resort, but only because they spent the last six in the Nicaraguan jungle subsisting on shit food and shit water. My friend got Montezuma's revenge and lost 10 lbs from shitting his guts out. Someone else also got tapeworm.

"Real" mission work is done by dedicated missionary couples who live among their target communities for years at a time, even going so far as to raise their families abroad as well. They are true believers, taking shit pay and heading to dangerous regions, not to return to see friends and family for sometimes as long as five years. For example, my church supports about a dozen of these mission teams. They oftentimes provide crude but essential medical care. Others received funds and built fish ponds for cheap, abundant protein to supplement their flocks' poor diets. They build and teach at schools and improve the lot of the community's youth.