Was Frederick the Great homosexual?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Hermann_von_Katte
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Paul_von_Gundling
youtube.com/watch?v=lcw2k-7H3k8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most reports say he at least was interested in men, so at least bisexual.

Jesus Christ, Frederick's youth was brutal:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Hermann_von_Katte
>In the spring of 1730 Frederick revealed to Katte that he had a plan to flee to Great Britain as a way to leave his harsh and despotic father. At first, Katte tried to hold Frederick back, yet at the end supported Frederick's plan to escape. On 5 August 1730, while the royal retinue was near Mannheim in the Electorate of the Palatinate, Frederick tried to escape from his quarters. At that point Katte stayed in Potsdam. A compromising letter unmasked Katte as an accomplice and Frederick and Katte were subsequently arrested and imprisoned in Küstrin. However because they were army officers who had tried to flee Prussia for England, Frederick William I leveled an accusation of treason against the pair.
>A court martial found Katte guilty of desertion and sentenced him to lifelong imprisonment; but King Frederick Wilhelm I ordered the sentence changed to beheading, declaring that "it would be better that Katte came to death than the justice out of the world." As Katte was an officer of the King's Guard, the King argued that if Katte were let off lightly (a life sentence would only last until Frederick William died), the King's Guard could never be trusted again. All petitions of mercy for Katte, including one from Frederick, were ignored.
>Katte was beheaded at the fortress of Küstrin where the king forced Frederick to watch the execution. However when he was brought up to be executed, Frederick shouted in French to Katte, "Veuillez pardonner mon cher Katte, au nom de Dieu, pardonne-moi!" ("Please forgive, my dear Katte, in God's name, forgive me."). Katte called back in the same language, "There is nothing to forgive, I die for you with joy in my heart!" Frederick then fell to the floor in a dead faint.

Of course he was

Old Fritz biopic starring Kevin Spacey when!?

I wonder what the Nazis thought of it.

Well the Nazis despised and blamed the monarchy as an institution for losing WW1, so likely not highly.

all the greatest military innovators and leaders of men were basically gay or at least somehow sexually deviant. Alexander, Frederick, Eugene of Savoy, Atatürk, all those ancient Greek dudes, Hadrian, Caesar...

i mean being a soldier is like the manliest thing you could do right? and what else is really masculine? being homosexual.

Napoleon? Hannibal? Are they gay?

He probably had a very repressed sexuality in general. He never slept with men according to his court, despite the fact that a little butt piracy was ok for a high aristocrat.

His harsh youth probably turned him into a very repressed man sexually.

Its a shame the Nazis used Friedrich. He basically was the antithesis of Nazism. An enlightened, gay and francophile Prussian.

In his youth, prior to his attempted escape, he probably had some sort of involvement with his executed friend Katte. After he had resigned himself to his fate as future king of Prussia the picture is less clear. People make much of the fact that he neglected his wife, but the whole plot of his escape was to free himself from the diplomatic struggle waging around his potential marriage, and he had been under the impression that on arriving in Britain he would have been married to the British princess Emily. His marriage that eventually occurred was through the Austrians intriguing with his father, which was the scenario specifically that he most wanted to avoid.

Also there is a lot said about how he had no women in his court, but such an attitude was similar to the tobacco closet of his father during his childhood, and the enviroment he grew up in, though Frederick had definitely more cultured taste. It is possible he just didn't like having to entertain women.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Paul_von_Gundling

An example of the kind of entertainments Frederick grew up around.

Holy fuck. The soldier King essentially ran his court like a highschool jock.

Until his failed scape attempt, fredeirck the great was effeminate. Alexander and Hadrien also were. Eugene was also always effeminate. Caesar's rumours about homossexuality are false and nothing but gossip amd soldier's songs, and he was a notorious womanizer

Frederick William did nothing wrong.

After reading that Gundling article... Damn. I'm actually surprised Frederick the Great turned out as sane as he did.

They were frederichboos tho

Is "The Great Homosexual" an advanced form of the regular gay?
I'd imagine he's like the Grand Wizard of butt stuff

you can claim that napoleon was "sexually deviant" if we push the definition (allowing josephine to have sex with other people etc)

alexander the great also had a falling out with his dad (who almost murdered him) causing his exile to illyria

Yeah, it's basically that. When Frederick died, it was Louis Stanislas Xavier de Bourbon, soon to be known as Louis XVIII, who became the Great Homosexual.

Voltaire wrote a really catty letter basically saying that the King couldn't get it up when push came to fuck with other men, the impulse was there he'd just had such a fucked up life/repressed any and all of his emotions so badly he just couldn't perform.

There's no proof. It's mostly LGBT propaganda and WEWUZZing.

Jesus Christ.

You forgot to mention the jews...

There is a German movie where the young and old Frederick are played by female actors (mother and daughter).

This gets into stretch territory but I have heard arguments for Hamilcar Barca fancying men.

youtube.com/watch?v=lcw2k-7H3k8

>and what else is really masculine?
>being homosexual.
What?

But why

Hol up
>swallows cum
You sayin we wuz rulaz n sheit?

I don't think he was a fag, he was probably asexual.

May or may not have been. The best "evidence" comes from Voltaire but IIRC a lot of that came from a time where they were on the outs and Voltaire would thus have plenty of reason to go "what a fag". Honestly he comes off as maybe homosexual in preference if he had one but in practice was asexual.

Not an argument.

Frederick actually respected his father a lot and believed he was one of the only good rulers Prussia had (the other being Frederick William the Great Elector) so I think people overstate the effect the whole deal with von Katte had on him and his relationship with his father, indeed their relationship improved dramatically afterwards.

It was always the Austrians that Frederick blamed for the entire thing feeling that it was their meddling that caused it to happen.

The problem is that Frederick pretty much did not allow his true feelings to ever come out. Even in his writings the meanings are oblique and have to be interpreted instead of direct.

>

They need to make random shitty films to justify taxing the population for it (state funded media)

>historical figure doesn't waste time with thots and tries to reserve his sexual energy
>OMG GUYS THIS GUY WAS TOTALLY A FUDGE PACKER

>tries to reserve his sexual energy
I thought that you died when the Army assaulted your air base.

Apparently Emperor Basil I was bisexual, but I kind of doubt it personally. He received a huge fortune from a widow named Danielis and came to the attention of Emperor Michael III after defeating a Bulgarian grease wrestling champion. Michael III was well known for his affair with Eudokia Ingerina, the daughter of a Varangian guardsman. Michael III adopted the much older Basil into his family and granted him the title of groom, parakoimōmenos (The One who sleeps beside the Bedchamber), the palace chamberlain, a post traditionally given to eunuchs, and co-Emperor (Symbasileus), a title traditionally given to the Emperor's son and heir. Basil would later marry Ingerina on the orders of Michael, with whom he had three children. It's possible Michael may have continued his affair with Ingerina, and that Basil's eldest son, who would become Emperor Leo VI, was actually Michael's child. Basil would later kill Michael III and assume the throne for himself, after he was warned that Michael was planning to sideline him in favour of another favourite, Basiliskianos, whom he threatened to raise to the rank of co-Emperor. The population did not react to Michael's death, as he was known for his impiety, and Basil's position as co-Emperor gave him a legal claim to the throne. Although Basil slandered Michael after his death, declaring him a drunkard (He was killed by Basil when he passed out after a heavy drinking session, so there may have been some truth to this) after Leo VI gained the throne, he had him reburied in the Imperial mausoleum at great expense and with much ceremony, lending some evidence to the theory that he may actually have been Michael's son.

>if you're not attracted to women you MUST be attracted to men
This is what fags actually velieve

Retention of precious bodily fluids is vital for an effective military

I had no idea.

why do you think he is always portrayed with a cane

Who was it then who ripped his arsehole asunder? Who was it who sundered the ring of kings?

>had no heir
>had a companion who was so close his father had to put him down

checks out

M-movie sauce user pls

>He was invited to dinner and conveyed in a sedan chair from which the bottom fell out while it was moving, forcing him to run to keep up with the bearers, who paid no heed to his cries
>He frequently returned home to find his doorway bricked up

>allowing josephine to pursue other men
Are you serious? This did not happen. After hearing word of her affairs, the previously faithful bonaparte started pursuing other woken and had more than 25 mistresses. Once Napoleon rose to power josephine remained faithful but frequently complained of his affairs.

>On another occasion, while he was drunk, his official Chamberlain's key was cut off his coat, and, in punishment for 'losing' it, he was made to wear a large wooden Chamberlain's key a yard long around his neck
>In 1716 Gundling sought to escape his misery by fleeing to his brother Nicholas Jerome Gundlingius, professor and scholar in Halle, but he was brought back. Unauthorized departure from court was considered to be desertion
>Gundling's food was to have been mixed with a strong laxative before his wedding night. Gundling managed to escape this and other attacks planned for the wedding day by reporting himself sick, and having the marriage take place secretly and earlier than planned
>Gundling died on 11 April 1731 in Potsdam as a consequence of his ulcers. Even in death the king did not spare him humiliation. By royal command he had been compelled for a number of years to keep, in his bedroom, a coffin made from a varnished wine barrel, on which the following verse was written: Here there lies within his skin Half man, half pig, a wondrous thing Clever in his youth, in old age not so bright, Full of wit at morning, full of drink at night. Let the voice of Bacchus sing This, my child, is Gundeling
Reader, say can you divine Whether he was man or swine?
>After he died, the king had his body paraded through the streets of Potsdam and then publicly displayed, wearing the outlandish costume he required Gundling to wear for his own amusement, propped up in the barrel. Various ribald songs were composed specially for his funeral, but the king's antics were so outrageous that the local clergy categorically refused to have anything to do with this parody of a funeral ceremony. Instead, the funeral sermon was delivered by none other than Gundling's long-time tormentor, David Fassman

It sounds like after Katte died Frederick went of the deep end.

Caesar was the first recorded white guy to fuck a brown girl and was well known for banging dude's wives. he was not gay

He was every woman's husband, and every man's wife

Is Gundling the Wojak of Prussia?

He could have been a right cunt who deserved it.