Do you think Russia regrets giving it away?

Do you think Russia regrets giving it away?

no
>itsfuckingnothing.gif

Considering how much useless land they hold like Siberia and how even though they are the largest country in the world they somehow continue to annex Crimea and invade Georgia, yes, I'm pretty sure those drunken bastards regret giving away Alaska.

It would belong to the British now if they did not. Alaska is forever a monument to Russia-US relations.

>Siberia
>useless
You're special kind of stupid.

main export is oil which Russia has a lot of.

retard

Russia struggles to exploit the many resources Siberia holds. A hassle

>it's a hassle to own resources that will make you prosperous
You've made stupidity a fine art

It wasn't given away. It was sold (albeit for a song, a few million dollars, even in 19th century money..!)

Likewise so much of our west. All the fools, all the saps, they all acquiesced and made us simple transactions for thirty million pieces of silver! France, Russia, Mexico, England, Spain... saps!

All saps!

And I thank them every day for it. The fucking sap after sap after sap.

It wasn't really them being a sap. Russia knew they couldn't really do anything with Alaska, they feared that Britain would invade it, and they thought that the United States that is friendly to them might be a counterbalance to Britain and France. This is also why Russia pressured the two countries to stay out of the US Civil War, while Russia leased naval bases in the US.

>a hassle
Exporting resources accounts for 50% of Russian economy you gigantic fucking cretin.

The collective and simple cash purchace of the American frontier via various parties is a glorious, collective sappitude which led to American power and recently, Pax Americana, though. One can have a different opinion about current events but we enjoyed an easy glide toward the Pacific, and now that it's all effectively over a century old, full cultural legitimacy of the borders, though Mexican human migration dilutes this a good deal.

I don't think you're quite understanding what I mean. Russia wanted the US to have Alaska, for the purposes of not allowing the UK to have it. They knew they couldn't stop the UK from taking it (only about 1000 Russians even lived in Alaska), so they decided to sell it to the power they were (at the time) least likely to fight, that happened to be the US. Russia and the US were very good friends at that time.

Russia and the US were always good friends until 1917 at which point Russia ceased to exist.

>Russia ceased to exist

Well, yes. They factually ceased to exist as a country and got replaced by another, they even had to sign all international treaties anew and weren't allowed at the victors' table after WW1 simply because the USSR wasn't Russia.

>I have never stepped foot outside a metropolitan area in my entire life: the post

but the ussr was ruled mainly by russians, they main population was russian and the culture and language was centralised towards russian.
the empire was as diverse as the USSR was too.

And the existing race in Iran today is Persian but you don't call it Persia you dolt

>if they are Russians, its Russia.
So... Tunez is Carthage?

And America was ruled by Anglos and the population was Anglo, so USA is Britain now?

>but the ussr was ruled mainly by russians
No it wasn't. Then again neither was the Russian empire since Peter.

That doesnt mean the country suddently dissapeared, successor state to it was clearly the USSR, the only real change was the name and ideology while most of the other stuff stayed the same.

Also most of the tsars were born in Russia after Peter with a few such as Cathrine being foreigners.

>tfw we don't live in the timeline where the Russian aristocracy fled to Russian Alaska and set up a government-in-exile like Taiwan

Having Nukes pointed at Seattle and Los Angeles could have changed the dynamics of the Cold War. >TFW you will never see a Canadian overland invasion of Russia

yeah cus of the oil

I didn't know I wanted this :(

The Soviet-era and modern russian government certainly regret it.

Think about it. Nuclear launching sites close to the US border, naval bases, air bases, you name it.

It's not about what resources the land has, it's about what you can do with clay so close from your enemy's home. Modern Russia invests heavily in the Arctic Ocean and North Pole, which are pretty much useless stretches of ice and water, just because it is relevant to national defense. If Alaska was russian territory, there would be 2 or 3 russians soldiers for every square feet of shitty useless ice deployed there.

I need this book series in my life

All america was ruled by the same people before and after the revolutions, most of them continued the same ideology, culture and religion. ¿Thats mean Empire of Brazil=Portugal, Mexican Empire= Spanish Empire, USA/Canada=UK?

A better question is what would have happened to Alaska if it was still in Russian hands during the Russian Revolution.

Give me Romanov Alaska. The Cold War gets more interesting. Very unlikely since the Crimean War has to go in the Russian Empire's favor.

Realistically, a barely populated Alaskan SSR. Alaska had fuckall people.

Well would it have stayed in Russian hands after the Russian Revolution anyway? I mean, the US and the other allied powers during WW1 did invade Russia to fight the Reds in support of the Whites.

You'd end up with Capax Пaлинoвa saying she's can almost see America from her house

Born in Russia =/= being Russian.

>invade Russia
This is such a fucking meme. Americans sent like 5000 soldiers, calling this an invasion is like calling a fart a hurricane.

Jesus, I actually have that in my alt-history map! It's cool that we both came up with that.

It would have been interesting if the Whites set up a Russian equivalent of Taiwan there.

Someone already beat me to the punch. My bad.

That actually kind of happened IRL, except it was Finland and not Russia. Finland is Russia if the whites won.

Underrated

Can you imagine if Russia kept it how volatile the area would have become during the Cold War, it would be like the DMZ in Korea but even more extreme

most of the navy and Vladivostok was pretty red, so I doubt they'd have stayed in Imperial hands