We need to stop those fucking U-boats

> We need to stop those fucking U-boats
> I have an idea...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XtEUM66kMhQ
1418now.org.uk/dazzle/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shit's trippy

Don't those two masts give the position away? I mean it could be heading in any direction but it's angle is given. And once you know the angle after a little bit of observation you will get the direction.

I have a great grandfather I think who worked on a u-boat repair ship in WWI and up to WWII. Pic related was the SMS vulcan.

It still makes it harder to tell the speed

Why did they do this?

The point wasn't to hide the the ship it was to make it more difficult to discern what kind of ship it was

why didn't they just covered the hull of the ship with a mirror so it becomes invisible because reflecting the sea?

Why didn't they just submerge them?

Why didn't they just attach giant balloons filled with hydrogen to the ships so they can float above the sea.

The idea is just to make it harder to estimate range and speed of the target, so torpedoes are more likely to miss. Whether or not this actually had any significant effect is......questionable.

Would have been cool to see one of these ships in living color.

No. It was to make it hard for the submarine crew to discern which direction the ship was moving.

All the improvements to her two younger sisters and Olympic's the only one of the three to survive more than two years.
Decades of service, surviving multiple collisions, ramming a U-boat. Old Reliable indeed.
If only she had survived the Great Depression than maybe she'd be a museum ship or hotel today.

I love it honestly

beautiful

I find it odd I haven't seen dazzle in scifi, though I have heard the term "razzle dazzle"

youtube.com/watch?v=XtEUM66kMhQ

I read somewhere that an experience uboat captain would be able to tell a ships heading and speed even with dazzle camo.

That being said naval warfare was a crap shoot. You missed 95% of the shots that you took. Most shots were taken to try to sight in on a target. With odds like that it's hard to tell if dazzle camo actually worked

It also makes it more difficult to identify what type of ship it is and the overall size of it. That would make it more difficult to determine the range

We're talking about the ship, not the submarine targeting it.

honestly looks like it would do both

Low level boats conflict (e-boats, gunboats etc) was pretty cool, the comics of Garth ennis War stories for example have good art and they show in a broad stroke a conflict with fast brit gunboats vs E boats.

There are plenty than use something related but not the "razzle dazzle" proper, like the Narn, Vagyr or the space ships drawn be Foss.

The idea was that you're more than likely going to be running into a formation, so the masts wouldn't really give anything away. You can't tell if you're running into one 2 masted ship or 2 smaller one masted ships. Now if you saw 8 masts it would be difficult to tell how many ships you were up against. It wasn't just about hiding ships heading and speed. It was also about concealing numbers

You can

1418now.org.uk/dazzle/

I once saw one of these where it actually hid the ship well.

Why didnt they just covert the ships to submarines so they couldnt be seen?