Suggestions for English translations of the Vedas?

I've been interested in reading the Vedas, particularly the Rig Veda, but I'm not sure where to look for a good translation. Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

global.oup.com/academic/product/the-rigveda-9780199370184;jsessionid=92BD54953AA4DACE425E1D57C3D550F0?cc=us&lang=en&
sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/
liberalarts.utexas.edu/lrc/rigveda/index.php
youtube.com/watch?v=VAucCtppdPE
sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv01001.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The vedas suck ass and make good toilet paper, just like the bible

Read the Tantraloka instead

Avoid anything by ISKCON, but I´m not sure if they have translated the Rig Veda, they prefer the much, much later Puranic sectarian literature that they call "Vedas".

I´m not competent enough to know if it´s 100% accurate or not, but Ralph Griffith´s translation preserves the metric scheme of the hymns, which I find pretty cool. So if you could, for example, set it into music and sing in both English and Sanskrit and it would basically fit.

Second for Griffith

Fuck off
>Shaivism
Only Vedas

Doesn't translate well literally so your best bet is to get multiple translation and cross reference that shit...Sanskrit is extremely intricate, the ability to pronunciate, spell, master this form of written letter is imprinted in Aryan Hindi genetic memory it's such a challenge yo. That's why those dumb fucks win all the spelling bees bruh

the vedas ARE shaivic, EVERYTHING is shaivism my man

t. alain danielou

Not really. Shiva is a Dravidian graveyard spirit that got ARYAN´d/syncretized with Vedic Rudra, which was originally a storm god, one of the Maruts, and Indra's companion. Shaivism philosophy is a mishmash between Upanishads, Buddhism, Shramanic traditions and the Tantric and Agamic traditions, which had been flying under the radar until then.

Shaivite* philosophy.

The Enlightened Capitalist Version:
global.oup.com/academic/product/the-rigveda-9780199370184;jsessionid=92BD54953AA4DACE425E1D57C3D550F0?cc=us&lang=en&

The Pleb Free Information Version:
sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/

Metrically Restored Text:
liberalarts.utexas.edu/lrc/rigveda/index.php

Chanting:
youtube.com/watch?v=VAucCtppdPE

Griffith's matches the syllable count:

aagním īḷe puróhitaṃ
byajñásya devám r̥tvíjam
chótāraṃ ratnadhā́tamam

I Laud Agni, the chosen Priest,
God, minister of sacrifice,
The hotar, lavishest of wealth.

sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv01001.htm

Say that to my face IDL (in the deva loka) and see what happens, dualist

F-forgive my insolence oh Blue-throated One! Please don´t vaporize me with your optic blast!

Which one is your favorite hymn from the Rig Veda lads? Mine is the one about the tree and the two birds.

Mine is the one about rubbing the Vajra in the Padma

Lewd.

is that sexual it sounds sexual

This one is not bad either.

Thou hast disclosed the light to light the Ārya: on thy left hand, O Indra, sank the Dasyu.
19 May we gain wealth, subduing with thy succour and with the Ārya, all our foes, the Dasyus.

That's the Kalachakra tantra and it's buddhist

Read Olivelle's Upanisads and google the Nasadiya hymn

If you must, Doniger's Vedas are good

I like the Gambler's Lament

>Avoid anything by ISKCON
Prahupada's translations are some of the best out there though.

>much later Puranic sectarian literature that they call "Vedas".
The Puranas are Vedic texts. The Bhagavata Purana which is popular in ISKCON is the most studied Purana as well, I'd hardly call that sectarian.

Ultimately, orthodoxy in Hinduism is determined by adherence to the early vedas, in particular the Rig-Veda.The fact that Shiva was able to be incorporated was because it spoke to strains of thought already present that had been expressed in the Shruti texts.