Vidence that ancient farms had very different origins than previously thought

arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/evidence-that-humans-had-farms-30000-years-earlier-than-previously-thought/

>Until recently, anthropologists believed cities and farms emerged about 9,000 years ago in the Mediterranean and Middle East. But now a team of interdisciplinary researchers has gathered evidence showing how civilization as we know it may have emerged at the equator, in tropical forests. Not only that, but people began altering their environments for food and shelter about 30,000 years earlier than we thought.

>In an article published in Nature Plants, Max Planck Institute archaeologist Patrick Roberts and his colleagues explain that cities and farms are far older than we think. Using techniques ranging from genetic sampling of forest ecosystems and isotope analysis of human teeth, to soil analysis and lidar, the researchers have found ample evidence that people at the equator were actively changing the natural world to make it more human-centric.

>It all started about 45,000 years ago. At that point, people began burned down vegetation to make room for plant resources and homes. Over the next 35,000 years, the simple practice of burning back forest evolved. People mixed specialized soils for growing plants; they drained swamps for agriculture; they domesticated animals like chickens; and they farmed yam, taro, sweet potato, chili pepper, black pepper, mango, and bananas.

>École française d'Extrême-Orient archaeologist Damian Evans, a co-author on the Nature paper, said that it wasn't until a recent conference brought international researchers together that they realized they'd discovered a global pattern. Very similar evidence for ancient farming could be seen in equatorial Africa, South Asia, and Southeast Asia. Much later, people began building "garden cities" in these same regions, where they lived in low-density neighborhoods surrounded by cultivated land.

Min ancient human theories are making more and more sense.

>"garden cities" in these same regions, where they lived in low-density neighborhoods surrounded by cultivated land.

sounds edenic

Interesting. There's a theory that the rise of centralized Mesopotamian civilization was triggered by ecological changes which forced people to band together in larger and more authoritarian groups, not simply by the rise of farming. Maybe it's correct after all. I've always thought that growing wheat isn't really the sort of thing you would do unless you really had do. It produces a lot of food, but it seems to me that farming other kinds of food is easier.

looks like early slash and burn techniques.

So where the fuck did all that go? There are no traces of this left anywhere in the world. It didn't lead anyplace. These cultures just vanished completely. I don't buy it. Agriculture is a big deal outside the tropics, how come it was just a worthless thing in the jungle? They must be very wrong about something, or the world would look not the way it does.

Which culture? India and SEA still exist. Although their archeology material were destroyed by tropical climate, war and eternal anglo/dutch.

India is based on traditional farming and SEA as well. I can't think of a single culture that practiced the stuff these people are describing. Not even modern jungle people. In Indonesia they don't even do that, they have different plants.

Brazilian natives did with tierra petra

U wot m8? All culture mentioned in the article are agro based culture. And the culture can still be seen until now except for Indonesia who become maritime culture. Even some of them still retain their agro root. If you want hard evidence like building and shit, than you are asking for impossible in god damn tropical shithole. And they said about basic slash and burn farming not some hydroponic shit.

>people began burned down vegetation to make room for plant resources and homes.
burning

So basically, everyone who's from the tropics in the old world can safely WE WUZ for the rest of eternity. Get ready to hear shitposting on Veeky Forums about this for quite a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 10k about humans managing effective subsistence farming rather than farming in general?
Nomadic lifestyles centered around preparing grounds and seeding fields in different places to enhance gathering are quite a bit older than sedentary agriculture, and it's not really news, is it?

The thing that's so special about this is that it happened in the Middle of the jungle far from the places where agriculture developped (except the Sahel)

>NOTE: I changed the headline on this story because the previous headline, which said that farms were 30,000 years older than previously thought, was inaccurate. My apologies. I misunderstood that aspect of the original article in Nature Plants. What Roberts and his colleagues argue is that people were altering forests by burning and cultivating plants 45,000 years ago. This might qualify as proto-agriculture, but it is not farming (that's the part I misunderstood). The headline and article now reflect a more accurate description of the original research.

tl;dr-clickbait

>Very similar evidence for ancient farming could be seen in equatorial Africa, South Asia, and Southeast Asia.

I could believe it happening in India and SE Asia but not Africa, unless we’re supposed to believe Africans somehow forgot everything they were doing 35,000 years ago and reverted back to primitives.

I forget what the special was titled but, the Smithsonian Channel put out a pretty good video talking about the "garden of eden" or the rise of agriculture. That 60 minute special said religious practices demanded a more stable form of food and drink over gathering. Multiple tribes would congregate in the same area and were unable to do proper ceremonies unless they planned beforehand.

West Africans had agriculture and city states, retard.

AYO HOL UP

WE

>West Africans had agriculture and city states, retard.

Not until they picked it up from the Mediterraneans, moron.

You're confusing West Africans with North Africans and Easy Africans. West Africans independently had their own various small civilisations and kingdoms for thousands of years, plus they had domesticated crops like millet and yams. Of course, this was after other places had domesticated crops, but it still counts.

*East

More like for hundreds of years, but yeah, they developed independently from Europe or North Africa, such as the Yoruba ones, also before those town/cities existed there was the Nok culture in those areas, which is roughly contemporary to the Ancient Greeks, though of course much less developed they still had agriculture and some nice artworks

>interdisciplinary researchers
>people began altering their environments for food and shelter
>Nature Plants
>Max Planck Institute
>actively changing the natural world to make it more human-centric
>slash-and-burn
>garden cities

sounds like fake news