I get sick of reading about wars nations sometimes

I get sick of reading about wars nations sometimes.
Veeky Forums are their any diaries, journals, or memoirs written by nobility or anyone during the13th to 16th century depicting everyday life?
Like a member of nobility or common person(more rare I know)?
What's the best place to look for primary sources like these?
Google sucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/cache/epub/3331/pg3331-images.html
archive.org/details/journalbyoneofsu00beck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_Aga_of_Temesvar
archive.org/details/journalbyoneofsu00
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Vicente
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantiga_de_amigo
strobertbellarmine.net/books/Gautier--Chivalry.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't really have a cultural preference since i would probably like to read about any culture I could get my hands on. It's just interesting to get to know the thoughts of people back then.

bump please!

My lazy searches did not turn up much in the way of journals or diaries for your time period. Samuel Pepys is a classic, but a little after your given dates. A quick wikipedia search suggests you should take a closer look at renaissance italy: be warned that those will have tons of business ledgers to go through.

There was an interesting reference to an anonymous "Journal of a bourgeois of Paris" (1405- 1459). Looks like an english translation was published by one Janet Shirley with Clarendon Press in 1968.

There's the Nikki Bungaku of Heian period Japan. Might be too early if you specifically asked for 13th to 16th century. However it's basically noblemen and -women writing about noble shit and court life so it might be worth a try. Maybe Sarashina Nikki or Tôsa Nikki.

Diary of Samuel Pepys is from the 17th
gutenberg.org/cache/epub/3331/pg3331-images.html

For obvious reasons, journal- keeping will require literacy and idle time to write, making most early diaries from the levels of the nobility or upwardly mobile merchants. Factor in the problems with pre- printing press distribution (and associated survival of the manuscripts), and you can see why most journals we have are from 1700- today.

Yeah, while a bit before your given parameters, definitely try the pillow books of Heian noblewomen. Also, have you considered looking through travel literature? People tend to remark on the (extra)ordinariness of other people, even when it may just be a few districts over. Su Shi's "Record of Stone Bell Mountain" and Ki no Tsurayaki's "Tosa Diary" come particularily recommended.

>3197192
Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it.
Yeah i considered that. The only non nobility who would be writing journals would be well to do merchants. And even if a commoner was literate, there was no guarantee they would have the time to write about everyday regardless.

Are there perhaps at least letters to other people during that time period?
That's basically how we know a bit about Roman daily life outside graffiti and some historians like Tacitus.
I remember once someone posted a letter from Machiavelli to a friend. Sauce on that and anything similar?

I still cant find anything about the daily life of 16th century anatolian or balkan ottomans.
Anyone can help me with that?

English stuff:
Journal of one of the suite of Thomas Beckington, 1442 - apparently the earliest English Journal/Travel account
archive.org/details/journalbyoneofsu00beck

Ottoman stuff:
Osman Aga, 'Prisoner of the Infidels' (not really describing 'daily life' tho)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_Aga_of_Temesvar

Apparently there is a really interesting 17th century diary called 'Sohbetname', written by a derwish by the name of Seyyid Hasan, depicting the social life in 17th century Istambul, but I couldn't find an online version.

>archive.org/details/journalbyoneofsu00
Thanks a bunch, user!

You can read the autos of Gil Vicente, he was a portuguese jewel maker and later dramaturg, where he wrote many pieces depicting life, also the trovadours pieces on parties and such

Providing sauce

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Vicente

Recomended: a mentira de Inês Pereira
(The farse of Inês Pereira);
Auto da barca do inferno (auto of the boat of hell)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantiga_de_amigo

Recomend the poems of D. Dinis, there are many since everyone was a poet back then, the nobles made games when they were at parties with this sort of poems

Read within these recomendations and you will get an idea

>Gil Vicente
Where can I find his autos translated? I google yet I find nothing but references to his plays. The only thing I found that was close is in Portuguese and I don't trust google translator.

#
#
Historian Cemal Kafadar had an article that seemed to review the literature somewhat, albeit with a focus on Sohbetname. Check out "Self and Others: the Diary of a Dervish in Seventeenth Century Istanbul and First Person Narratives in Ottoman Literature", I believe a pdf is available from duke university's website. It might be worth mining his sources.

bump.

12th century mostly, but Leon Gautier's classic study of the life of a knight is exceptionally good, based as it is on primary sources: strobertbellarmine.net/books/Gautier--Chivalry.pdf

cool!

There is the Journal d'un bourgeois de Paris (Diary of a citizen of Paris) but it is in French

Ty!