How do people manage to write new history books every single year? I mean...

How do people manage to write new history books every single year? I mean, how do they keep finding new stuff to write about?

A single event can capsulate an entire series of books.

Hell, World War 2 only took about 6 years (the war itself) and look at the sheer volume of books on just that subject alone.

There's thousands of years of history out there

Yeah but there are at least 50 different books on WW1 right now. Is there any aspect of the conflict that hasn't been explored yet?

THAT MAN SEEMS LIKE A SYNTHESIS BETWEEN ACTORS MATTHEW FOX, AND JASON BATEMAN.

black Germans only got one video game

>implying this is good.
This is the thing which is wrong with modern history, our view is being distorted. What happened in WWII and WWI differs from who you ask. But what happened in 430 BC between Athens and Sparta is pretty dam objective.

I have even heard there is a clause where all records are hidden for 100 years and are going to be released when there is no one alive living? I could be wrong there, can anyone confirm it? If its true it pretty much means it's impossible for primary sources for the war to exist. Except those written by participants, not from the actual governments.

>implying this is good.

this was never implied

Most of history is just made up fiction so it's easy to add new stuff to it without creating problems

>Most of history is just made up fiction
This is the problem.

don't underestimate the amount of written documents in existence. there are billions upon billions, i'd say. i've read something that the florentine archives are several hundred miles long if you stacked all the papers together. thats centuries upon centuries of routine bureaucratic stuff. think of how many thousands of interpretation you can squeeze out of that

>This is the thing which is wrong with modern history, our view is being distorted.
>What happened in WWII and WWI differs from who you ask. But what happened in 430 BC between Athens and Sparta is pretty dam objective.

1) There's this thing called "we found something new via archaeology and it puts a whole new thing about X ancient past."
2) There's also these things called "historiography" and "perspective." Which is basically responsible for all those new fucking history books.

Shit like "the Napoleonic war from an economics perspective." Or "Developments in Greece relative to events outside Greece." Or "European and Asian history seen in a Metahistorical perspective as opposed to dividing it in meme regions and telling their history separately."

It's not being "distorted." It's "considering history from any possible angle and or connected narratives."

Also
>"Objective history."
>An absolute thing.
There's a reason why Ranke is considered to be the first lesson in historiography courses m8.

and mind you this is a MEDIEVAL/early modern archive. just think of our modern centralized states with huge bureaucracies and how many millions of documents are created daily to fuel this beast.

>Modern centralized states with huge bureaucracies.
>AND the Media.
>AND the mostly literate public armed with recording devices/electronic means to store data.
One wonders how cunts will study history 100 years later.

Compounding to what everyone has said, there's also the factor of other people's histories that aren't even part of the mainstream narrative yet due to various reasons like circumstances or language barriers.

For example: Chinese history. Most of what we non-Chinese know of Imperial Chink history is via the work done by 19th Century to early 20th Century scholars, with some snail's pace from the people in ROC China. From 49 to the late 70s, Imperial History wasn't a priority of PRC, and that's an understatement. This was a problem considering the Mainland is where 99.9% of Chinese history, happened.

Now that PRC China has opened up, in addition to actually valuing pre-Communist history, the past 30 years benefitted from new discoveries made in China by scholars both local and foreign studying the fucking place.

A good example is how for the longest time, our only clue of Han Dynasty life is from (fiction) literature written in later dynasties about that period to the official histories of court historians. Now we have access to mundane shit like "The Contract for a Youth" which is a pamphlet issued to squires of Han dynasty civil servants telling them what their duties are. In addition to court & scholar-bureaucrat's histories being translated to English as we speak.

So yeah there's still a LOT out there.

I typed in the year "1300" at random, and this is what I found:

>Jeanne de Clisson
>Born in 1300
>Beton noblewoman
>Marries three times
>French royal family invites third husband to a tournament
>Whoops it was a trap
>He is executed and his head is placed on a spike outside the town
>Jeanne finds the head and swears revenge
>She sells all her shit to raise money to hire mercenaries
>She also buys three warships because apparently you could just go out and buy such things back then
>Starts raiding French vessels and killing the crews
>Spends the next 13 years doing pirate stuff, including attacking French villages
>Eventually remarries and settles down in England

This girl could have an entire book written about her, and I found her without even really trying.

>DO NOT TRUST HISTORY COMING FROM THE PRC.

By implementing widespread reforms to increase the use of 'simplified' Chinese', the government has made it so that not many scholars can read or write traditional Chinese. This has resulted in a whole bunch of 'history' scholars having to take translations of traditional Chinese as fact. But who translates these historical works? People in the employ of the government with the goal to further cement communism within Chinese culture and society

>there are at least 50 different books on WW1 now

Well, it is technically correct.

How do people manage to make new history threads every single day? I mean, how do they keep finding new stuff to shitpost about?

What are you talking about? Literally all Chinese can still read traditional Chinese characters, they're like capitals to lower case, easily identifiable.

Most Chinese can read ancient Chinese too with a guidebook alongside.

t. Chinese girlfriend who reads ancient Chinese literature in its original state

The real reason is too many humanoid degrees and nothing to do with them. A country really only needs a few dozen tenured professors in the humanities. There really should only be 2-4 in any given specialty that get replaced when they retire, and basically aprrintince all the masters knowledge. But we graduate 10s of 1000s a year with no real need

Because historians tend to have a biased view based on current events/the time they live in.
The whole history of the Roman Empire is a textbook example of this.
For early 20th century historians Rome fell because of race mixing.
For late imperial russian historians rome fell because the working class was given weapons and recruited into the roman army.
For nazi historians it was because of the unrivaled might of the german barbarians.
During the 80s it was because of political corruption among the elites.
During the 90s Rome didnt really fall, it was just a friendly melting pot that turned into something different, with people collaborating with each other to make something better. And on and on.

1: There is so much overlooked history it's pretty ridiculous
2: History is revised all the time. In MY LIFETIME, archaeologists unironically went from believing that Exodus was history to realizing it was not only bullshit, but actually the story was reversed to make jews look like the heroes instead of the Hyksos oppressors.