WWII Family Stories

Some great uncle of mine or something was a young Catholic priest in training when the Germans invaded Poland. Anyway he spoke German and Russian so he joined the SS because he feared that he might get arrested or whatever. When he was in the SS he apparently sabotaged tons of German shit and actually fucked with the town records and helped change the last names of like 50 Jewish families so they could avoid deportation. When the Russians came he realized he'd be fucked if they caught him so he actually got his hands of some Russian uniform and fought with them all the way to Berlin. In 1963, somebody recognized him as having been a collaborator with the Germans and he was arrested. He got off though because tons of people (including some of the Jews he helped) came to his defense who knew he was undermining the Germans and he had proof that he fought the Germans when he sneaked into the Red Army.

anyone here have a copypasta of that user whos grandpa was in the Heer? And it was the end of the war and they were trying to evacuate this town from an incoming soviet attack, and then the SS came in and ordered the soldiers to stop it, round up all the towns folk able to fight, and force them to attack the soviets in a suicide mission, killing all those who wouldnt do it, and so anons grandpa simply took the SS guy to the back of a building to talk to him and his men held him down and they shot him and then threw his ass in a ditch and just continued to evacuate the town?

My great grandfather was in the 2nd SS Division, he was in the Wehrmacht before it was formed though, he was also pagan and he and his men were known to have burned churches on the eastern front. His brothers served in the Waffen SS aswell, thats how i learned about him, as he died in 1944 after he asked for a transfer to the western front to train and lead volksgrenadiers (he was an officer). He died on the first day of the Battle of the Bulge in St. Vith

fuck id like to read that one

My grandfather signed up for the army, but at the time he was """""trained"""" we already lost it, so he never saw actual combat. The other one was too young.
As a frenchman that recently went to Poland and Russia, I do feel bad at how much we lived far from the suffering and destruction of the war, just by surrendering.
> inb4 muh resistance
The french Resistance is a meme compared to the polish one.

I never believe any war stories here. Everyone gets too much into detail. I doubt your 89 year old grandpa was able to remember the time he fist fought a Jewish Banker in the streets of Kiev.

My grandfather has never heard of WW2, it really surprised me. At least I hear stories of how he humiliated the local carpenter

My greatgrandfather was shopowner in Brest when the war started. His wife died at 7th of September during city bombing by Luftwaffe, she covered my grandmother and her sister with her own body. My grandma have seen Germans trying to sige Brest fortress, she also was a witness of Soviet-German army parade after beating Poland. When the city was taken by Soviets, soon after my greatgrandfather was arrested by NKVD cause of "reactionary agitation", after couple of days he was set free, i guess he was lucky. Just before Operation German agession on USSR he left the city with his daughters cause he expected another bombing which could this time kill them. When Germans taken over the city, he came back home, just to be arrested again, this time by German police(idk if it was Gestapo, they arrested him for same reason Soviets did, i guess Reds have list of "suspicious citizents" when they runned away). He spend in prison some time, his oldest daugher(which spoke German) was begging prison overseer to let him go. One night when prison was being "cleaned" from prisoners and they were send to "work camps" he was set free cause "He had free daughters and they needed someone to take care of them". When Germans were being pushed back by Red Army at the end of the war, his cause has been taken by some German officer with his stuff, they let my greatgrandfather's family to stay in one room, they werent allowed to leave it when there were some meetings in the house. When Germans evacuated they left lots of papers and items in the house, my greatgrandfather collected it and burned in the backyard. My grandma still has one of German plates they left in her old house, it has nazi eagle on the bottom. If someone is interested for more just say.

picture of the plate?

>mein oppa

the moment I see someone mention their grandpa was in the SS, I know its bullshit by some stupid american or fat britbong

I might take it tomorrow. If this thread will be still alive obviously

Great-grandfather was on Eisenhower's staff at SHAEF. Later got promoted to brigadier general thanks to him.

Stepfather's grandfather was a CEV (combat recovery vehicle) commander in the Red Army. He saw a lot of fucked up shit.

My grandpa was born in the thirties and my other grandpa was born in the thirties in a neutral country

Pretty cool story eh

>his grandparents werent burned alive
kek, look at this loser

My great grand uncle was a US scout who got to Germany in the last months of the war. He and another guy were sent ahead and before long the other guy got his head blown off. In the search for cover, he ran into a church, only to find like 50 germans inside. Then this fat officer says in perfect English "We wish to surrender," even though he has only a pistol. I don't remember how he got out or if he just waited (long dead). I'm 99% sure most of this was bullshit but idk

Right, only people descended from Allied troops post here.

That's because there was less reason to resist in France, they were treated a lot better.

My great grandfather was a Native American living in Alberta and wanted citizenship.
Citizenship was granted to those who volunteered but he was unable to join because of a previous treaty signed between Canada and our tribe in WW1. What the treaty entailed was basically no members of our tribe could enlist in the army and in exchange we would lease parts of our reservation to the army so they could train their troops for artillery. Our tribe was very close to Calgary so the land was highly desired.
That didn't stop my grandfather who caught a train to New York, went to a bar and was drafted the next day.
He came back an American citizen and a alcoholic and he died with those two things only on our reservation

My great grandfather came to the US with his family from Wales in the 20's, so when the war rolled around my grandad got drafted. He had to be around 21ish and was a tanker when he got in. Well, one day when they were rolling through Europe they got attacked by some infantry, and apparently, one of the Germans thought it was a good idea to hop up onto the hatch and try to shoot in. The guy got pulled in by my grandad who pulled him into the tank and knocked him out. It sounds like bullshit, but apparently, the German guy's Luger got handed down in the family only for my aunt to sell it along with his shotguns. Damned Californians, I would have loved to have the thing around.

My grandfather was at both of Britain worst military disasters during WW1. He was on one of those piers at Dunkirk being dive-bombed by stukas. And after that he was sent to Singapore, like two weeks before it was captured by the Japanese.

He was starved and tortured by the Japanese for three years while they forced him to labor on the Death Railway. Ended up being liberated by some Aussies.

Great gramdpa was an Austrian dude who was a medic for Germany in WW1, then moved to NY and became Henry Winkler's personal doctor. Cool guy

My fathers uncle was a Marine raider, he never talked about the war but he for sure saw frontline battles.
He was a demolition expert, and his specific regiment was basically a spec ops in the pacific campaign, taking out listening posts, and harbors for jap ships.

My grandpa was an ex-communist who latter became a KMT's spy and intelligence officer of BIS(Bureau of Investigation and Statistics, a bit like OSS or MI6) in China during WW2. His "specialty" was dealing with Chicoms, Japs and their collaborators.

Kill your aunt

My great grandfather joined the Polish Army in the East (basically the Red Army but it was Polish). He was riding on a motorcycle during the war and took parrt in """""""liberation"""""" of nowadays western Poland. He said that the rapes were horrible and he just went away to smoke a cigarette when they happened but God knows what he was doing. During the relocation of Poles from the eastern parts to the western ones he wanted to have a motorcycle of his own so he didn't allow the German that was being relocated take it with him. He was a pretty chill guy, got himself into local press some time after the war, worked for the governament when the communist regime was still in power, I think he was in charge of listing the population or how much grain was harvested, I don't really remember that at this point. Was a pretty chill guy, passed right before my 7th birthday.

grandmother lived in a partisan village. When she was 14, before night a german plane flew near their village and they saw paratroopers getting dropped on a nearby hill. The entire village took axes and hatchets, ran up on the hill and cut the germans to bits, buried them in the woods and took their guns. When a patrol came a few days later (it was only a few men she says) they shot them up and took their guns. When the partisans came they gave their guns to the partisans, after that their village was never visited by germans again, mostly because it was a backwater.

so what actually happened is germans dropped supplies and the hillbilly villagers stole them then sold them to partisans, sounds like serbia

My grandfather was a German/ Native American soldier who helped denazify in France and Germany after the towns were cleared and my other grandfather was an Italian-American soldier who helped liberate Rome.

Yes, I am sure you know what is more authentic when you don't even live here.

Paternal Grampy was a machine gunner in the Heer. Got killed in Holland fighting Canucks and Brits.
Maternal gramps was a surgeon in the Heer