Conan The Barbarian

Was Conan the Barbarian a Celtiberian or a Gaul?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian#Setting
en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Hyborian_Age
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimmeria
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He was Cimmerian ie. of a Finnic ethnicity

Obviously neither, he is just a barbarian from a fantasy land where there are witches and wizards.

Robert H. Howard initially planned Conan the Barbarian as historical adventure pulp fiction.

He then went "fuck this" towards historical research and so created a world where Classical Celts, Viking-Period Norse, Medieval Germany, France, & Spain, Ancient Egypt, The Caliphates, Steppe Nomad Turkics, Mongols, Zuluss, and Song-Period Chinese exist. Alongside Precursor Civilizations, Eldritch Horrors, and Immortal Master Races.

The very first book contains enormous amounts of the supernatural from the beginning. I have no idea what you are basing this post on.

Cimmerian who in real world were Scythian tribe dwelling in Caucasus.

Are those tree trucks or his legs?

Real Cimmerians lived in what is now Ukraine.

That user is right. He admits in his own writings that he wanted to write historical fiction but the public library in Shithole, Texas where he lived didn't have the proper amount of literature he could use as a source, so he just created a world roughly related to Bronze Age world while adding magic and wizards.

>First Book
Conan the Barbarian was published first in Weird Tales Magazine. Which was a magazine where people read short stories or chapter by chapter updates of their favorite SF/Fantasy/Horror writers.
>I have no idea what you are basing this on
A published foreword of his regarding the "Hyborian Age."
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian#Setting
>The reasons behind the invention of the Hyborian Age were perhaps commercial: Howard had an intense love for history and historical dramas; however, at the same time, he recognized the difficulties and the time-consuming research work needed in maintaining historical accuracy - and moreover, the poorly-stocked libraries in the rural part of Texas where Howard lived just did not have the material needed for such historical research. By conceiving a timeless setting – "a vanished age" – and by carefully choosing names that resembled human history, Howard shrewdly avoided the problem of historical anachronisms and the need for lengthy exposition.[2]

Robert E. Howard did a lot of historical fiction otherwise: Solomon Kane, for example, was set during the 1600s.

Not just a world roughly similar, it is literally earth. Just Earth in an incredibly distant past, after the collapse of Atlantis and before the rise of recorded civilization.

Nothing in your uncited claim backs OP's contention that the character Conan was supposed to either a Celtiberian or a Gaul or even that the Conan character was ever supposed to be part of the historical fiction you are alleging (with no evidence) that Howard initially wanted to write.

>Conan the Barbarian was published first in Weird Tales Magazine. Which was a magazine where people read short stories or chapter by chapter updates of their favorite SF/Fantasy/Horror writers.

Thanks for the agreement, user.

Yeah, I think it was The Tower of the Elephant where Conan sees a glimpse of the future where Stygia is dead but Egypt rose from its ashes, etc. Writing about pre-cataclysmic world is actually pretty fun because the antiquity went through some real civilization-erasing cataclysms, such as fall of Rome or the Bronze Age collapse.

Magazine =/= Book m8.

In any case I was talking about Howard's conception of Conan the Barbarian's setting.

en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Hyborian_Age
>The Gaels, ancestors of the Irish and Highland Scotch, descended from pure-blooded Cimmerian clans.

Right from the man himself in the essay he wrote to explain all this.

He was a fictional character

I give up with giving you any more "yous" it is pretty clear you were unable to read what I said in my post or the essay you just cited, which makes abundantly clear that Howard was not aiming for any sort of historical accuracy except in terms of the own fictional backgrounds of the stories he made up.

You are a complete numpty and boring.

THIS

Pretty solid backpedaling, but your new argument is too similar to the old one. You need to introduce something completely new to completely save face.

All in all about a 7/10.

He was a cimmerian, real world cimmerians were basically scythians.

You got BTFO son

>Between the ages of nine and fifteen, he played in ten features within and beyond the Spanish film industry. Most notably as the young Conan in Conan the Barbarian (1982), a role played as an adult by Arnold Schwarzenegger.[1]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimmeria

He was a Gael

>You are a complete numpty

Welsh.

Celtic/Gaelic