Charges your pikemen with cavalry

>charges your pikemen with cavalry

heh, nothing personnel kiddo

horse archers beat everything

How do you defeat Mongols?

Are hores archers male or female?

I wouldn't say those were pikes. It was pretty realistic if you ask me (except the dragon ).They were charging a thin line of spearmen, which had already been broken up by the dragon. Unsurprisingly, the Lannisters got BTFO.

Why did they only have one ballista? Why not 50?

If they wanted Drogon to be shot by a main character instead of some mook, they could've had the other ballistas get destroyed.

Beat them at their own game. Rape their horses.

1) Those weren't pikes
2) They had a dragon breaking Lannister men up.

>I'ma charge dis dragon lmao

>charges your squares with cavalry

heh, nothing personnel rosebeef

It worked on the Uruk-hai pikemen at Helmsdeep.

in the show dragons napalm their formations, infantry out of formation are vulnerable to cavalry

He knew there was a good chance that he'd die, but an equally good chance of killing Daenerys and possibly ending the war.

This. I was so confused when Qyburn revealed it to Cersei, because it was shown off like it was the pinnacle of Siege Engineering. If people in Westeros are in possession of catapults and trebuchets, I don't see how a fucking bolt thrower couldn't be mass produced.

Why were the Dothraki even there?

Why not just have Drogon fly up and down the line frying people?

I guess now we know how Robb won all those battles vs. the Lannisters

Northmen had pikes.

allow them to take land then burn everything to the ground behind them
their biggest weakness was the supplies needed for upkeep

I'm more wondering why, after witnessing it, Dany decided to fly the dragon in a straight fucking line at it

They do have scorpions, we see smaller ones at the Battle of Castle Black. One snipes a giant.

Maybe the one Qyburn made was extra powerful.

She knows she has plot armor.

It was also high angle. And had some special tip for the dragon.

Has there ever been real soldiers whose job it was to use both hands holding giant shields for the guys behind them? Ive never heard of two-handed shieldsmen.

Do you count pavises? Some of those got pretty good.

>good
meant big

>Maybe the one Qyburn made was extra powerful.

It's possible that they never felt the need to make giant bolt throwers before so this is a new design. Maybe they read about it being used against dragons in the past.

I don't know if the show has Meraxes getting its head blown off by one in Dorne

People who carried pavises and mantlets. But it wasn't permanent, since usually that was carried around sieges.

Anyway, Bolton Pike formation is pretty much a retarded way to do pike formations considering historical pike formations from Europe all the way to Japan crammed the frontline with as much spears as possible to fill in gaps. Pic related.

They weren't Pikes, they were spearmint

Yeah but no one else utilized the brilliant Bolton tactic of killing all your horses so you can surround the enemy with their corpses either

I hate hululululu warriors so much.

this and this A dragon has all sorts of magical fuckery with it that I'm sure makes its scales as hard as iron (how it still flies is extra fuckery, considering how it must be essentially weightless in comparison)

This isn't your average ballista either. Roman ones would need multiple people just to charge it up. Even a regular crossbow needs a massive amount of weight on it to just pull back the damn string. Bronn uses ONE hand to charge up what should be hundreds of pounds of weight with all the damn chains AND load the arrow.

>spearmint

You're posting on your phone, aren't you?

The series, that didn't make much sense before, went out of hands when the guionists stopped following the books. Look at how everyone teleports from one place of westeros to the other.

slow down their momentum by building fort that cant be easily taken and has to be heavily invested
get a skirmisher heavy army

Actually the Chinese used pikes in this fashion.

The difference is that the man in the front carried a much smaller shield rather than a pavois, and was also armed with a sword.

According to Procopius and probably other older greek historians, persian infantry did this.

The mandarin duck formation was a small unit formation though consisting of groups of 11 men surrounding a village.

It was devised by Qi Jiguang during the Pirate Wars in 1560s, when he realized that the greatest threat the pirates posed was raids all over the Chinese coastline. So instead of just hoping to quash them in a pitched battle, he spread his army across the coastal villages in groups of 100 to 50 to protect them.

Essentially it was a squad formation. This is what that looks like from up top, its from a Korean copy of Qi Jiguangs manuals.

Foot-archers plus spear-men. Bolt-throwers too so you can shoot them when they are too far away to shoot at you.

Did anyone use pikes that were so long they needed more than one man to wield?

The Sparabara had spears. Bolton cunts held shields with both hands.

I mean, there's no point trying to make sense of how the dragon could possibly move. We can just pin that to "magic".

I didn't realise this when I first watched the scene, but you're absolutely right about the whole draw-weight problem. You could also point this out whenever any archers have their bows drawn to their full text for longer than, at most, a second.

No that is fucking stupid.

If only based Ney had had a dragon with him...

No that's retarded. You lose all maneuverability and then your troops are only slightly more useful than planted stakes.

> run Dothraki at shield wall
> pull them up short of bow range
> roll right down the length of the line with dragon
> send Dothraki after routed spearmen

Dany confirmed for pleb-tier tactician.

The dragon didn't stand up to a ballista bolt, it would have stood up to musket/cannon fire even worse.

It wouldn't be all that hard to rig a "high angle" trunnion for the field guns and load canister.

>A woman is a bad leader

Never would've guessed

Pretty sure the ones mentioned by Procopius didn't. And unlike in his secret history bullshit, he was a present in pretty much all eveevehents he writes about in the wars books.

>eveevehents
A-are you OK user?

>the only weapon they had to stop the dragon was only present due to the opposing queen
really makes me think

I didn't realise Qyburn was queen...

mountains

>dothraki suck against westorsi soldiers
>dany's failure to plan to blame
>cersei commissions and funds Qyburn to create a scorpion
>cersei's planning gets no credit
additional thinking activated

Asking someone to make a weapon that doesn't exist yet isn't exactly great leadership. I don't praise FDR as the father of the atomic bomb or give him great credit for saying 'yes' to the manhattan project

No i meant spearmint.

>mantlets
when will they learn

Fortifications

Asians can't into technology.

Why is the knight's spear longer than the foot soldier?

That picture doesnt prove anything.

>He thinks anyone is a good leader in game of thrones
Everyone is a fuck up with the exception of the night king

the dragon is -20 to troops morale

horsemen are just to carve them up and finish off the pieces

Did we watch the same episode? The troops morale dropped when they the screaming horde come at them.

>haw haw lets make Ping carry that little shield out in front oh lawd dis gun b gud

I kept on thinking about that actually
>"Wtf kind of formation is that? I bet if that was the Bolto pike formation, Dothrakis would've been shishkebabed."

Seriously, look at it. Lannisters were better off giving everyone spears than just the cunts behind the shield bearers.

They formed up in good order when the Dothraki came. Especially considering it was a fucking ambush.

When there is a gazillion savage but they let you use your balista

Yes but they where shaking to their booths

Why do they have two coordinators for a single squad? That don't even fight.

Sounds like a lot of wasted manpower.

It's a polish hussar. They had hollow Spears that allowed them to have longer reach.

Are you implying that Daenerys is secretly [spoiler] Gwenpoole [/spoiler] ?

Then just equip your infantry with hollow spears...

Shields, I don't think so, but I know that Spanish, German, Swiss, and Italian armies would have plebs with great swords stand out in front of Pike formations to try and open a gap in the enemy block.

they're pricey, and the mass of an armored horse will beat a hollow spear. Just use horse traps and archers

Then the spear breaks when the pike blocks collide or the first knight smacks into your spear. Unlike the hussar, who can circle back and get a new spear, or draw his sabre, your foot soldier is now stranded in the middle of a pike lock and is helpless and useless.

IFF and signals are a big part of war, m8.

In addition squads worked with other squads since a village or coastal town would have around 50 to a hundred soldiers posted. The whole point of the Mandarin Duck Squad was to enable soldiers to fight both as separate squads and as a body in larger battles. As such identifying your squad means individual squads need banners.

>tfw no spoilers on Veeky Forums

Alcohol

>and the mass of an armored horse will beat a hollow spear.
not if you mass your infantry and ground some spears or use several men to back them up.

You really shouldn't need 2 separate people doing nothing but that for every 9 men. It's kind of a waste.

Heavy forests, it cripples cavalry

Chiefly, forcing them into siege warfare.

Gather what supplies you can, poison water holes, burn whatever else you can't and deny them fodder for their horses.

Outside of that, use terrain that's not hospitable for fielding large numbers of cavalry effectively, bottlenecking them or subjecting them to reverse slope defenses.

>Why do they have two coordinators for a single squad?
The individual with the banner is the squad commander,the flagstaff can be used in the same manner as other spears.

>That don't even fight.
Only the porter/cook(individual on the far right) doesn't have a combat role.

Okay, grow a forest in front of those stampeding hordes. Got it!

Why did it take this long for this answer? Yeah, fortifications are great, but shit.

Or, get this, fight them in a pre-existing forest

Live very far away from them.

>move to a forest
>steppe niggers ride past and go pillage shit
>they go home with packs full of loot
>you go home to find mad peasants rebelling because their king was hiding while they suffered

Carpathia didn't stop them

Dothraki are not mongols

>actual armor
>supply lines
>forges and tons of artisans brought with them
>medics
>sophisticated command structure
>siege weapons and engineers

but the answer to how to beat mongols is easy; water

>tfw you draw lots and have to carry the little shield out front

>t. video game player

The problem was there were too many of them, starving the horde by burning crops could have worked.

fpbp

Thanks

Game of Thrones is what it takes to get brainlets posting about medieval warfare.

Couple of ways: lure them into an unfavorable terrain (swamps, mountains, jungles), use a scorched earth strategy against them (what the Dai Viet did in their second war with the Yuan), superior generalship. Fight them in the same way the Romans did or Alexander did at the battle of Jaxartes - mass heavy infantry supported by a good number of archers. The Han Dynasty also had success with such a formation as they beat the Xiongnu confederacy in this way. The Romans were the masters of it though as they defeated numerous such armies - the Sassanids, Alani, Huns, Parthians, Scythians and the Sarmatians.

To beat them, you had to fix their position, either by sending the infantry in as fodder and waiting to receive the attack to counter attack with your own cavalry (Alexander at Jaxartes) or using packages of infantry and cavalry in close conjunction.

The success of the Mongols really just came from Genghis Khan's ability to unite the tribes and the stars aligning perfectly for them.

The use of espionage and diplomacy to prevent any one tribe becoming dominant over the others.

Yeah, like probably every soldier in history.
Do you think gettin a shieldwall front line was fun, knowing full well you could die for any kind of shit, from an arrow to a fucking minor wound than festered?

I think we can all surmise the worst mistake made by Little Miss Plot Armour in the episode, Burning the entire Harvest. She burned all of the harvest wagons for absolutely no reason. With the Lannisters routed, her Dothraki could have stolen it, and the caravan was hardly going to escape. She could have taken all that food and handed it back to the Reachman farmers to gain their loyalty, but no, she incinerated the last harvest before the winter, because she's an idiot, who is written solely to do cool shit.

Another thing, Danaerys seems to be split into two people for no real reason. Half the time she's the people's queen, Missandei says she was chosen not because of her father but because of her actions, and half of the time she tries to force loyalty through her ancestry.

She seems to be unsure whether she's actually a people's monarch, in which case she wouldn't burn harvests, and would seek the loyalty of the seven kingdoms rather than conquering them, attempting to prove herself as their Queen, or whether she's reclaiming her birthright, in which case she should be executing lords who betrayed the Targaryens.

The central conflict is that she's trying to claim legitimacy after her predeccesor essentially removed his own legitimacy by going batshit insane, and she doesn't have any understanding of why people are reluctant to follow her, to the point of slaughtering, let's face it, not universally guilty Lannister soldiers, likely mostly forced into service.

We even had a little moment earlier in the season where they showed us that the Lannister soldiers aren't evil, just being lead by a few cruel masters, and somehow we're still expected to love Danaerys for burning those relatively decent, if not innocent men alive.

I dearly hope it turns out everyone sees that atrocity as what it was, an atrocity, next episode, and Danaerys goes off the deep end after Drogon got shot.