Non-western historical weapons

Western arms are Nice but shared all the time, lets share nonwestern weapons.
Figthing gloves from 1200 Iran

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vcPr-AP1Vss
youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8
youtube.com/watch?v=KBFZIqywIkM
youtube.com/watch?v=9xoT_ugO2rQ
columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00routesdata/1600_1699/marathas/pratapgarh/pratapgarh.html
baike.baidu.com/item/狼筅
zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hant/狼筅
youtube.com/watch?v=9P3g8N_u7c8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That seems really impractical, then again it might be amazing for Iran since it's such a hot climate and very few soldiers would have anything heavier than leather/hide.

Where in Iran specifically?

Why have spiked knuckled if the finger armor prevents you from forming a fist?

Copper culture spear heads, this things are 5000 year old from modern United States, no joke.

Urumis. Basically a sword-whip.

A shuriken is a Japanese concealed weapon that was used as a hidden dagger.

Chinese chain whip

youtube.com/watch?v=vcPr-AP1Vss

Backhands.

cultures that didnt have very good armor or didnt mass produce decent armor have the weirdest looking weapons. Stuff that would be utterly useless against a typical european soldier but kinda makes sense in a setting where people arent wearing much armor at all. European weapons are all about getting through or around armor, so there's a lack of diversity in that respect.

Rope dart

youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8

Japanese ceremonial sword (look everybody I got the longest!)

detail

aren't they basically useless as thrown weapons?
unless you got somebody right in the eye it wouldn't do much more than slow them down, it doesn't penetrate far enough

never head about it, but damn imagine having one conceiled then BUM fucking cutting metal whip
youtube.com/watch?v=KBFZIqywIkM

>it might be amazing for Iran since it's such a hot climate and very few soldiers would have anything heavier than leather/hide

You're retarded. The hot shit in Iran has been heavy cavalry for milennia.

Iranians pretty much invented plate armor, dipshit

>cavalry

key word there, the nobility of iran were the OG tin cans, but the general levies and footsoldiers were far less protected and relied heavily on their shields to compensate.

Gilbert island shark tooth swords

And don't forget to wear your pufferfish helmet when wielding these
Safety first!

>iran was anime-tier during 1200's
Damn, you learn something every day

lol

needs more teeth

God DAMN! That is is Sauron tier shit!

>Sassanids running like this into battle like this

Nice goal post moving, where did your shitty argument about hot climate go?

>ITT: Dex weapons

i wasnt the guy you were responding to I was just pointing out the fact that only rich cavalry chads had good armor in iran and the majority of soldiers were basically given shit if they were even given anything at all. This is why weird weapons pop up, because armor wasnt very widespread in the lower classes of society so crazy whips and all that actually work whereas europeams have always armored themselves as well as they could and are in fact known for that as far back as ancient greece.
So yes, their geography and culture lended themselves to weapons that wouldnt work in other areas. Its a completely legitimate point, and heat does affect what kind of equipment you use so Im not sure what dumbfuck point youre trying to make about that. Colder climates tend to have people that wear more clothes, this also generally translates to more armor since overheating in heavy armor is exactly how Saladin crushed the christians.

OSH TE LEMA HAMA!

Chinese fire arrow battery

wacky as fuck. Chinese weapons always seem like theyre just on the verge of becoming something gamechanging but they never take that next step so its all so specialized and silly. Its like they enjoy having their underdeveloped ideas appropriated and improved by europeans.

this is like something from kushan from berserk

Here are some Bantu throwing knives. They are equally intricate and phallic.

Is there a real downside to using a dart like Eastern (especially Korean) guns tended to instead of a round ball? The balls must have some advantage or they wouldn't have switched over in the first place.

This is for show only right? They are made by silver?

>Le_Chinese_stuck_with_firecrackers.jpg
Come back when you actually learn history m8.

Kpinga knife.

Whoops

An arrow is more massive than a bullet, so you would need more powder to throw it the same distance. Arrows are also more time consuming the manufacture. You end up spending more money to do the same (or less) than the guy firing cast lead balls.

It's undeniable that the Chinese were quickly outpaced when it came to firearms development.
Not the guy you replied to btw.

Canons have a higher kinetic energy to fire a heavier projectile and therefore inflict more damage.
Fire arrows are more low tech, can be spammed easier and have better aerodynamics.
So both have their use
The chinese also had their first Handcanon by the 13th century
>pic related

The europeans gained an edge on both hand held fire arms and canons though, therefore being able to crush the chinese at the opium wars

They used to wear it as a belt and would use it to engage multiple opponents. The user is said to be the top tier of the martial art.

Kpinga swords and knives, used by the African Zande warriors.

How the shit do you use the knickles when you can't make a fist with those nails? Are you just supposed to back-hand the schmuck or something?

Seems more like a torture device, unless those thick metal parts are heavier than they look, than it could act like a mace of sorts, would be pretty neat.

It's genuine glorious 1000 times folded nippon steel.
Quenching that thing must have been a nightmare.
But your right that this one is for show only. Its 377cm and 14,5kg. They paraded these things around, prayed to before them for good luck in battle or put them in temples.
Odachi used in battle were shorter, around 90-150cm.

He's perfected those movements to the point that the sword-whip hitting the floor creates a rhythm.

>It's like my chinese cartoons

I think the idea was cutting, not blunt force, but it's still retarded since having your hand stuck open like that gives drag when you try to swipe at someone, effectively lessening the speed of a weapon that was meant to be fast.

It's not for torture, it's a secondary weapon that could easily be concealed.
The kinetic energy of the spinning chains can break bones without a problem.
Even a much smaller metal point on the tip of a rope can inflict serious damage.
I train with an non-martial variation of these for fire spinning (poi) and even these can hurt if you accidentally hit yourself.
Watch the video I linked Also this one for the modern take on it
youtube.com/watch?v=9xoT_ugO2rQ

Maori weapons look cool af

Holy shit you are dumb

Why the hole in the middle of the center left club? Just looks? Is it a balance thing?

Youd have to be kinda fag to see dicks in those

Not if you rub them in poison, shit etc before hand, just need to make a minor wound to kill them or at least have a festering wound that incapacitates them

nice argument

For those wanting more information on these, they seem to have originated in India as modified bagh nakhs(pic related).

Semi-related source that cites these as bagh nakhs and also talks about their use amongst the Marathan Confederacy in India:

columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00routesdata/1600_1699/marathas/pratapgarh/pratapgarh.html

Nice argument.

hur

if you want to explain how my comment is in any way incorrect or innacurrate, go ahead.

Or just keep doing a shallow reply chain and avoid actually supporting your original insult.

That weapon in legit since Shivaji apparently killed his opponent Afzal Khan using that while he hugged him.

I have a very hard time imagining somebody actually using those things in combat. In what possible situation would such objects be preferable to a sword, or even a long knife? And what if you need to actually pick something up?

i wont defend those gauntlets in particular but there are advantages to having two free hands as opposed to one in the grapple, if you can pin their knife arm it becomes a grapple where your fists are deadly and their fists are not. You also cant drop them or be disarmed. I would imagine it was a backup for if you dropped your main so you could still defend yourself.

Im just speculating though i dont really know

I think that even something like a small dagger would be a superior back-up weapon, because it can be drawn quickly, whereas those gloves probably aren't quick to put on and off if you're in a fighting. It might only take a few seconds to put them on but that's still plenty of time for somebody to stab you multiple times.

i mean the gauntlets are already on, and you hold your main with those gauntlets, then you pull out a dagger, and if you lose that you have spikes on your fists so youre never truly disarmed no matter what.

I guess I can kinda of see it now.

This is the sword of the ruler of Granada, Spain during al andalus

lol

Yeah but to say they aren't game changers?

I mean, shit, siege warfare became deadlier in Chinese and East Asian history when the first powder, bombs, and the early cannons showed up that they stopped being content with clay brick and rammed earth walls in favor of stone and extensive internal fortification.

Not to mention the damage it was doing to 1200s-1400s naval combat.

Early gunpowder usage in Chinese history was far from just battlefield curiosities user was insinuating they were. They did real work.

狼筅 - Bamboo (or iron) sticks with spikes attached. While useless against flesh/armor, it's specifically made to counter the Japanese katana battles.

baike.baidu.com/item/狼筅
zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hant/狼筅

*in battles

Korean, and it's more like a primitive missile launcher. They used it to fight the Japanese when Toyotomi Hideyoshi went "you know what? Now that we're 'unified', let's go fucking attack Korea"

Japan failed pretty hard.
youtube.com/watch?v=9P3g8N_u7c8

The star-shaped ones were only thrown as a distraction. You wouldn't throw it in a way that it would stick in the person. Ninja would throw them to effect a getaway and confuse the enemy.

Now, there are ones with penetration but they are a different shape, like a long nail that you have to hit point first. Even the samurai schools taught this.
(I've studied under Stephen K. Hayes and Masaaki Hatsumi lineages, ninja and samurai/bujutsu schools)

how many times was it folded? asking for a friend

There is literally a dick with balls in this one

So tape measure battle

Most shiruken were almost square in shape like the one on the bottom left there. Easy to make in bulk, and heftier to throw (meaning more impact). You throw them almost like darts, vertically oriented with your hand drawn back over your shoulder. Throwing them horizontally is trickier, harder to get as much force into it, and can cause them to sail off to the left or right like a frizbee.

But yeah, sharpened nails and actual darts were probably just as common if not more so. I really doubt the fancy star shaped ones were just for distraction though. Seems like a waste of iron.

Also comes in cat-o-ninetails versions!

Indian patas. I have no idea how effective/versatile these things are.

Derp, those are katars. This is a pata.

>The weird sword the topless guy's wielding
The Dacian falx, doom of the roman solder
>At the time of the Dacian wars, researchers have estimated that only ten percent of Iberian and Gallic warriors had access to swords, usually the nobility. By contrast Dacia had rich resources of iron and were prolific metal workers. It is clear that a large percentage of Dacians owned swords, greatly reducing Rome's military advantage.[5]
>Marcus Cornelius Fronto described the large gaping wounds that a falx inflicted, and experiments have shown that a blow from a falx easily penetrated the Romans' lorica segmentata, incapacitating the majority of victims. These experiments also show that the falx was most efficient when targeting the head, shoulder, leg and especially the right (sword) arm, which was generally exposed. A legionary who had lost the use of his right arm became a serious liability to his unit in battle.[3]
>Roman armour of the time left limbs unprotected; Trajan introduced the use of greaves and an arm protector (manica) for the right arm, which had previously been used only by gladiators, and which was never used again by soldiers once the Dacia campaign concluded

That shit sexy af

Katar != Pata
Similar in looks but way different to handle.
great choice tho I live these weapons.

Ok that looks impractical as shit, but man does it look awesome.

Forsworn weapons are a shit

Congrats you win the fedorapost-of-the-day award/

It's not impractical, you just need much training before you can effectively use it.
Try it, grab a rope, tie something to it's end and swing it around.
Try not to hurt yourself.

It can be concealed, it is low tech (a weight on a rope) and it can take an enemy by surprise.
If you try to block it, it can wrap around your weapon and still hit you.
It can be used to catch arms, legs or weapons.
It can come from very unexpected angles very fast.
Any fighter used to normal spear, sword and hand to hand combat can get in trouble with this thing, simply because he didn't learn how to properly react.

Nice non-argument, retard.

Assorted Philippine blades.

Kampilan swords, which is the only "long sword" design native to the Philippines.

Weapons fromthe Visayas Islands. Philippines.

Igorot axes, from the Mountain People of Northern Philippines.

t. Fag

A socketed spear. Also from the Mountain People but the design was kinda common throughout the Philippine islands.

Wait, the philipinos had iron weapons when they were conquered by the spanish?

Pommel figures of predatory animals commonly decorate Flip knives and sword hilts.

>ping pong letters

Dude, if someone has bothered to learn chink moonrunes he probably already knows enough. At least put a tl;dr of how it countered katanas.

Ginunting knives.

Yeap. We're not in the Americas: Chinese and Indians are literally just right there.

The Lang Xian (literally: Wolf's Brush) was less of a spear and more of an area denial weapon, used in a squad-level formation known as a Mandarin Duck Formation. It blinded or hampered the movement of attackers who approached a Mandarin duck formation, to be either cut down by the swordsmen between the pikes or by stabbed by the pikes themselves.

Whoops I meant (you)

The Itak, pretty much the National Weapon of the Philippines due to Revolutionary War memes.