Will humanity unironically revert back to religion once they realise atheism only leads to nihilism and depression?

Will humanity unironically revert back to religion once they realise atheism only leads to nihilism and depression?

Why do you care? We all know you've probably embraced religion for the sole reason of being contrarian. Fuck off you stupid frogman.

There will always be religion because we crave stability in our lives, we want to believe that there is more for us in the end than just rotting in the ground, that there is an actual guiding force as we hurtle along in the never ending expanse of space so far away from any other potential intelligent life that not even our great grandchildren will be able to see.

While atheists will always be a vocal subject of the population the vast majority if the human race will still practice some firm of religion.

We are already entering that timeline.

>deppression
>nihilism
Pick one.

I don't think humanity has left religion. It has largely left the traditional religions of the last several generations, but the religious mode of thought persists, even among materialists.

We've got vegans, alternative health zealots, fitness monks, pop science evangelicalism, the Church of Trump, high-church SJWs, etc.

Political ideologies or philosophies are the new religions.

Conspiracy theorist
Spiritualitist
Crossfitters
Church of kek

Makes sense considering the shift from kingdoms and empires to republics and democracies.
>inb4 larper royalists reeeing

Religiosity will, on average, decrease as we're moving closer and closer to the end times. Near the end times, the mere act of believing in God will become an extremely difficult feat for the average person. Asceticism will seem almost impossible. But Christ will return eventually and everyone will have to face God.

It doesnt have to be but there is a spiritual void within humanity in this modern age.

For most nationality, religion, political philosophy and tribal loyalties just dont do it for anyone anymore. All we have is other crass consumerism or withdrawal into nihlism which is okay for some but most people cannot deal with the "freedom" of pressure.

Religion is with us until the end. AIs will have religion. The last human to exist, at the end of time, will either be religious himself, or will be familiar with religion.

I think it's deeper than this. Religion gives it all a "why", without religion we can know "how" but never "why". The "why" religion gives is specious, of course, but the lure of "why" will always be with us, and is likely to be a near-universal feature of intelligent life everywhere because of its extreme potential for evolutionary fitness (people who think they have a "why" tend to outbreed those who accept that "why" is forever beyond us).

there's a need to be filled. but OP has a point, will we realize we can't escape and might as well do it right with a proper religion?

This is a western thing though. Ineed the east a person can be non-religious but still will have faith in a god.
I think this has to do with western embrace of the ego. Anyway, many westerns who have affiliation with tradition (cough Catholics cough) may loose faith in the church but will never loose faith in God. Because God is literally part of the family.

Imo I see in my community there is a big divide between anglos who believe in nothing except hedonism and everyone else who are guided by the sense of belonging through tradition.

No one is going to willingly dumb themselves down back to those levels.

*tips fedora*

You say that is if atheism is objectively true enlightenment...

Frogmen with the exception of Bufffrog from Svtfoe should be exterminated.

Lack of Religion don't equal atheism.

Will people go back believing in imaginary friends once they grow up?

>atheism

Rationalism, actually.

Secularization of society and politics and loss of spirituality are not atheism if you like it, still makes for an irreligious society.

>revert

Nigger, I'm pretty sure somewhere around 90% of the planet is religious.

HAHAHAHAHHAH

It is less actually, east Asians are largely irreligious. Also, 3rd world countries are very religious, developed 1st world countries are largely irreligious.

>God, the creator of the universe, doesn't exist.

Wew

>Shlumutul the creator of God, the creator of the universe, doesn't exist.

Wew

Personally I think disbelief is necessary in order to make the proper leap of faith. Most religions force faith of things that aren't worth having faith in.

People still have some need for religion, Christianity just don't fit the bill for many

thats what I meant with loss of spirituality, the demand for a strong religious community is on all time low in the western world.

>nihilism
>depression
what did he mean by this?

while people might go back to such systems they are and will be small fringe groups or shadows of their former selves

Religiosity comes and goes in cycles. India in Buddha's time was a time of weak spirituality. Paganism in Rome & Greece declined and was eventually replaced by Christianity. Europe since the Enlightenment has seen a long slide into irreligiosity, but that doesn't mean those essential human conditions that attract humans to the comfort religion can provide have gone.