ITT: We post comfy historical ruins

ITT: We post comfy historical ruins

Heidelberg castle, 1500s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bbpET2bpAzk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Raglan castle, Wales, 1430s

Bukelon Fortress, Bulgaria, Originally build in the 6th century, current remains are from 1330s

Golubac, Serbia, 1300s

Mirow Castle, Poland, 1300s

Castillo de Priorio

Roman stadium of Philipopolis, Bulgaria, 1st century AD

Castillo de Belalcazar from 1400s

Roman martyrium, Bulgaria, 4th century AD

I visited Heidelberg last spring. Probably the comfiest castle I've seen, ruined or otherwise.

I've been to Heidelberg castle. More comfy in real life than in pictures desu 10/10

OP here I used to live right underneath it for 4 years. In autumn time we used to go to the road that goes above the gardens and go through a hole in the fence where the road winds up the hill towards the villas. Then we would sit on a bench and drink beers all night. Literally the best nights of my life.

Oh shieeeeeeeet commencing Bulgarian dump

>tfw you're an Americuck living in shitty suburb home and Yuros are living like this

Why live?

Roman wall in Hisarya preserved to its original height.

Gatehouse on the same wall

Imma stop now because I can go on forever

The greatest tragedy isn't it. I used to walk to school every single day over a 2000 year old Roman street which now served as an underpass underneath a major boulevard and I couldn't give two shits about it lost in my daydreams of an American suburb. It's funny because you don't realize it until you achieve said daydream, then you go back and think to yourself that the fucking shops still use the original Roman door base stones for their doors too.

Motherfucking spaniards got them comfy vibes figured alright

Mayan Ruins at Copan, Honduras

Rabí, Czech Republic

yeah, i have more but are just ruins of other things... is nice walk in the middle of nowhere and find this kind things

Spiš Castle, Slovakia

Where is this?

Same in Bulgaria my man. One of the few places left where walking in the wilderness you could actually stumble across a completely unexplored unrestored fortress from the 10th century completely out of sight out of mind. But now definitely Spain is first on my next trip list

related to pic youtube.com/watch?v=bbpET2bpAzk

Those two
are Tsarevgrad Turnov, modern day Veliko Turnovo, the medieval capital of the Bulgarian Empire. In this pic you can see the same bridge behind the number 5

1000 years ago, how simple would it have been to squat in an abandoned fort or castle, like Anthony the Great?

Depends. I'd say there is a chance, however cases in which a massive structure like a fort or castle just got completely abandoned them are rare. Most were usually dismantled and the material used for construction of buildings in nearby settlements. So not that hard but certainly not easy.

amazing pic
you gave me new reasons to like more bulgaria

this is my last pic, it was a nice thread, i'm going to stay here lurking

hngg

Incoming comfy bridges now

Who owns these? Governments? Are they heritage sites? If I had enough money, could I buy one and fix it up?

this might just be the coziest image I've ever seen

Wow, I'd never thought I would see this castle here. Do you know it or did you just post a picture of a random castle?

Which ones?

Yeah it's not too far away from where I live actually

maximum comfy tbqh

nice

Nice. I'm just back from holidaying not too far away from where you live. I try to visit that castle every year but this year I went to Glenveagh instead.

Anything here with a mostly intact wall/foundation I suppose. Something where the work would be fixing things like the roof/windows/furnishings and such, with minimal effort needed for the walls/floors.
Like this I guess, but really, it could be any.

Dunno about Spain but in pretty much any other European Union country those are actually declared something like "Monuments of culture and history" and are thus under the protection and government of the state. As such no private owner could "buy off the land". Even if it happens that you own a piece of land and you discover for example a Thracian tomb with artifacts inside, the state automatically takes takes possession of your land and compensates you accordingly. For example a family friend discovered some pieces of copper and called in archeologists which in turn discovered a unique bronze age smelter in his fields, the state took possession of the land and gave him lands along the seaside which are now worth 10 times what the field with the smelter was.

Damn. I can see how that would be beneficial in most cases, but it upsets me how almost every castle or palace is really just a ruin or tourist attraction. Nobody actually lives in them anymore! It's a great shame. If you have the intent (and obviously money) to restore one you ought to be able to.

The government could repair them and hand them out as temporary fiefs or something for national heroes and the like. "Save the Prime minister from terrorists? Have a castle!" Or something like that,

I'm just sad that none of these places are used for their intended purpose anymore, providing a place for people to live.

Yeah well "living in the castle" is more of a western thing. Down with the Byzantines and the neighboring states Bulgars, Serbs, Wallachians, Croats the word "castle" isn't used as a place where a king or a noble lives. The preferred term is "fort" or "fortress", which served as a military building, providing shelter and a stronghold for the army and only for the army. Bear in mind that the there were stone fortresses on the Balkans 800 years before the crusaders "brought" the stone keep to France and England, and those fortresses were fought over until only 60 years ago. So it's no wonder most of them ruins. You can however learn a lot about a fortress ruined and preserved in that state at some point as opposed to a castle that was rebuild, expanded and redesigned 20 times in its lifetime. And yes those are ruins but there is actually a lot of effort (though if it's done right it will not look like it) to be conserved so no further deterioration takes place.

Housing a garrison is still providing people a place to live, I didn't neccesarily mean the western palatial type of castle.

Neutzikon, 10th century

Bodiam castle

Beutifull

Thats Palenque, Chiapas in Mexico

How people abandon such an amazing places? The owners just died, got out of money, revolutions?