What are some genuine historical mysteries?

Do you know of any genuinely unanswered historical mysteries, problems or observations?

My example would be the 1492 light sighting:
In the copied logs of Christopher Columbus' first journey to the New World, it is written that Columbus and several other men saw a small light source in the East moving up and down, a few hours before they made landfall.

The source of the light is unknown but it is taken seriously because it could help constraining the location of Guanahani.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5WLB-gFFyrk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Verde
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Highjump
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

isn´t Guanahani one of the outer Bahamas?

What happened to the Roanoke Colony
CROATOAN

They left and joined a native tribe on a nearby island. This actually was not an uncommon thing to happen in early colonial America, as natives generally had better food and hygene (not to mention were better at survival in general). The only reason Roanoke stands out is because it was so shocking to leave a functional colony and return after a few months to find a complete ghost town.

A few notable ones

>Did Hitler poop his pants?
>Why did the Romans never conquer Africa? Did they fear the black warrior?
>Why have Sub-Saharan Africans never built anything?

>Alexander's Tomb
>Genghis' Tomb
>The Mary Celeste
>The Ark Of The Covenant
>The Turin Shroud
>Jack The Ripper
>Stonehenge
>Greek Fire
>Angkor Wat
>Maya Cities
just the classic ones
or
Voynich, Atlantis, Mu, Roswell, Nazis in the South Pole, Bermuda Triangle
if you like /x/

one theory for the writing of COATOAN was that it wasn't a note but rather one of the colonists had carved it as a demonstration of their written language to a native

>the mary celeste
As a merchant mariner myself I've always felt the most likely answer was that since the lifeboats were launched they were caught in a storm, freaked out and abandoned ship, then had their lifeboat capsize in the storm and drowned. Afterwards it turned out the storm wasn't actually as bad as they thought it was and the ship itself managed to survive and was found derelict.

Going to the boats in heavy weather isn't really any safer than staying on the ship.

to give you an idea of what its like to be at sea in a storm
youtube.com/watch?v=5WLB-gFFyrk

Tiwanaku is a culture who supposedly dominated the andes thousands of years before the Incas, and they already had bronze. They had a port, nowadays it's located kilometers away of the Lake Titicaca.

Nobody actually knows certainly when did they live. The stone dating is pretty ambiguous.

fucking croatians

>Turin shroud

Humanities was a mistake

>they already had bronze
what bronze artifacts have been uncovered

Tiwanaku had bronze. That's the consensus.

They used it to comprise stone walls.

Also they used weapons and artifacts.

Didn't he also write that there were mosques in the Caribbean when he got there?

Viracocha build it

A brief summary of Veeky Forums

Bronze Age Collapse

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Verde

Ancient human settlement in Chile that predates the Clovis culture (considered the first in the Americas)

>Stonehenge

lol

The Jews

Yep. The legend said that Wiracocha provoked the Great Deluge, and he saved the andeans, chosen people of the world.

lol...

?

pretty sure they got killed by the natives. I think I read somewhere that they found some of their stuff on a nearby island

does Franklin's lost expedition even count anymore? it seems to become less and less of a mystery by the day, but, I always find myself going back to reading about it. it's pretty interesting
pic related

What happened to King Sebastião of Portugal?
He was last seen in a battle in northern Africa against the moor hoards and simply disappeared. Since they never found any trace of him, most people assumed he went into hiding and would come back when Portugal needed him the most, since he was considered one of the best, if not the best king they've ever had up to that point.

What did the priest told them at the Stanser Verkommnis in 1481? They where ready to kill each others, then suddenly they agreed to terms.
What the fuck happened?

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Highjump

>Were Olmecs KANGZ?

The moors probably killed your idiot boy-king.

was there such a thing as an "axial age"?
If so, what caused it?

>Disappeared during a battle

How is this a mystery????

Who were the people of Göbekli Tepe